Which film director makes the weirdest, strangest movies?

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:30 am
Which director, makes the strangest films, in your opinion?
http://www.imdb.com/poll/NiAdKypjOTw

Luis Bunuel;
Tim Burton;
David Cronenberg;
Rainer Werner Fassbinder;
Terry Gilliam;
Werner Herzog;
Jean-Pierre Jeunet;
Alejandro Jodorowsky;
Harmony Korine;
David Lynch;
Guy Maddin;
Takashi Miike;
Guillermo del Toro;
Lars von Trier;
John Waters;
Ed Woods;

Another director altogether?

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:38 am
@tsarstepan,
Bunuel made Andalusian Dog, right?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:50 am
Tarantino's work has a quirky surreal quality which grabs me like From Dusk til Dawn and Inglourious Basterds
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:56 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Bunuel made Andalusian Dog, right?

Yeppers. Un Chien Andalou (1929)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020530/combined
jespah

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:09 am
@tsarstepan,
Then I'll go with the donkey eyeball-slicin' master.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Guy Maddin's "The Saddest Music in the World" is a seriously weird movie. I encourage everyone to see it.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:27 am
I give my vote to Tim Burton.

Corpse Bride, Beetlejuice....

Ooh, hang on.....who did Donny Darko?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:36 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Guy Maddin's "The Saddest Music in the World" is a seriously weird movie. I encourage everyone to see it.

It's one of my favorite musicals of all time. Blessed be Isabella Rossilini!
http://images.publicradio.org/content/2009/06/17/20090617_saddestmusic_33.JPG

Prosthetic legs made out of oversized sealed beer mugs! The rest of his movies are just as weird. Especially his ... alleged memoir based documentaries. Shocked

This wacky Canadian, Guy Maddin, got my vote in the IMDb poll.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:38 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Ooh, hang on.....who did Donny Darko?

A dude named Richard Kelly. Me? I hated Donnie Darko. Tried too hard and not convincingly about its attempt to depict schizophrenia.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:56 pm
I've got to pit David Lynch at the top of the heap. His films are beautifully filmed, he whips you back and forth, then you try to figure out what it all means. I think it's David Lynch's joke on the world, as viewers rack their brains looking for what it all means, Lynch is rolling around on the floor cackling that he just pulled off another good one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
I only know Herzog though I've read about a batch of the others listed. I only saw Kasper Hauser, which I wouldn't call weird.
I did, though, see the trailer for Aguirre wrath of god something like seventeen times at our local art theater (read, changing films often, often older). No way I'd volunteer for watching it. Synopsis's would do.

I see I might have fibbed, as I don't remember precisely which Kinski flicks I saw the trailers of. Still think it was Aguirre, but maybe some of the others.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Has to be Woody Allen.

Such a generous writer/director.

Whenever I watch his enormous oeuvre I think only of him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Woody_Allen_%282006%29.jpeg/220px-Woody_Allen_%282006%29.jpeg
0 Replies

ryaan

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 07:40 am
It has to be Luis Bunuel. The father of cinematic Surrealism according to IMDB.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 09:42 am
All things considered, it's fairly easy to string together a bunch of arresting images and make them into a movie, as Bunuel and Dali did in Un Chien Andalou. Their genius was in being the first to do it. When they tried, in L'Age d'Or, to put a rudimentary story into the mix, however, they were a good deal less successful. The real trick, then, is to make a truly weird movie that still makes sense as a story. David Lynch came close with Eraserhead, as did Guy Maddin with The Saddest Music in the World. Not many other filmmakers have even made the effort.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 01:28 am
@tsarstepan,
Simply based on Melancholia, I'd have to say it's Lars von Trier. I found that film agonizingly strange, and disturbing, but I forced myself to sit through it.

I won't do that again...
0 Replies