Windows Vista got zapped!

Debacle

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 08:15 am
@Region Philbis,
You may not have to start from scratch if you have the Installation disk. Could be that only a few essential files have been corrupted or gone missing.

Here's yet another website that explains Windows recovery using the original disk.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-vista-startup-repair.htm

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 08:28 am
@Region Philbis,
Tell you what if you promise to buy the software if it work and destroy my copy I will sent you the program by email for you to try.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:09 am

couldn't even get task manager to come up this morning, so i rebooted in "safe mode w/ networking".

resolution sucks -- font is frickin' huge.

interesting how some sites (able2know) are formatted to fit the screen, and others (yahoo, google) taint...

edit
outlook took a lay of the land, said "i don't think so!", and shut itself down...
BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 07:06 am
@Region Philbis,
Once more I will email you my copy of spinrite under the terms already given and you can see if it will or will not fix your computer.

In any case we all wish you luck.
DrewDad
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 09:06 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
windows vista PC

I think I see the problem....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 10:29 am
@BillRM,

thanx, but first i'm gonna try re-installing vista...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:11 am
@Region Philbis,
Hiren's BootCD is a good multi-purpose tool for cleaning and repairing machines from an offline boot state. The link is here:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

TDSSKiller is contained on the CD along with a ton of other free stuff.

Note that RootKit Trojans ("IF" you have one) are very difficult to dislodge and many of the anti-viral programs don't find them. TDSSKiller is specifically designed for removing variants of the TDSS RootKit Trojan.

However, since your errors occurred after a power failure (and based on your description of the problem) I would guess that your windows kernel or some of its necessary dll's have been damaged somehow. You should be able to repair those from a Windows Recovery CD, or by doing a reinstall of Widows Vista. Just don't format your drive and the install process should simply replace the damaged Windows files leaving your original file structures intact.

Good luck
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:14 am

she hung in there for seven months, but the old PC has finally kicked the bucket... Sad
roger

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 04:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
For what it's worth, when I had to replace my old Vista machine, I went to walmart's website and ordered a "refurbished" Dell running under Windows 7 Pro. Saved some money and avoided the horrors of facing that Windows 8 system.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 04:47 pm
@roger,
Quote:
ordered a "refurbished" Dell running under Windows 7 Pro
ditto, except ordered it on amazon...

R(3 to 5 business days)P
roger

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:49 pm
@Region Philbis,
I thought I would rather pick it up in person. That way, I don't have to contend with UPS or FedEx. Not only that, I got to pay sales tax.
0 Replies