Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:14 pm
Hello Goodbye

This became The Beatles’ thirteenth number one in the UK and fifteenth in The States.
As was the case with several songs that Paul wrote, John Lennon is believed to have taken a disliking to it, claiming it to be an inconsequential three minute piece of meaninglessness.
What added fuel to the fire, was that John’s song, 'I Am The Walrus' of which he was really proud, was confined to the ‘B’ side of 'Hello Goodbye'.
(Brian's Weekly sleevenotes)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
An enjoyable song ... but with lyrics, worth the Nobel prize in litterature:
You say buck, I say doe
You say friend, I say foe
You say reap, I say sow
You say to, I say fro
You say shrink, I say grow

Wink
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 11:14 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 11:18 am
Thanks, yer Lordyship!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 02:14 am
Bob Dylan intended to record an album with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, according to the legendary producer Glyn Johns, who says the singer asked him to contact the bands about a possible collaboration in 1969.

Report @ RollingStone

Help! Wink

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 11:13 am
Some of the songs that Lennon, McCartney and Harrison gave away.....

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 11:24 am
It's Get Back, but not as you know it.

Plus you'll find the other tracks on that Love Album there. I quite like the way that George Martin has changed them around.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 08:46 am
From today's Guardian/Observer: Sir Peter Blake: ‘When people say Sgt Pepper is the greatest cover of all time, I celebrate the fact’
Quote:
We weren’t paid very much [£200] for Sgt Pepper, and when it took off I felt that the visual artist [Blake and his then-wife Jann Haworth co-designed the album cover] should have been rewarded like everyone was. But that’s all in the past. It’s gone. I saw Paul McCartney last night and we hugged; he’s a friend. Now when people say it’s the greatest cover of all time, I celebrate the fact.

A Closer Look at Sir Peter Blake’s Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band :
Quote:

[...]The album’s famous cover was devised by an amalgamation of talent. Art-directed by Robert Fraser, designed by Peter Blake and his then wife Jann Haworth, and photographed by Michael Cooper. The look of the album, the colourful collage of life-sized cardboard models depicting more than 70 famous people on the front of the album cover and lyrics printed on the back cover, was the first time this had been done on an English pop LP.

According to Blake, the original concept was to create a scene that showed the Sgt. Pepper band performing in a park. This gradually evolved into its final form, which as seen, shows the Beatles as the Sgt. Pepper band surrounded by a large group of their heroes rendered as lifesized cut-out figures.

Also included were wax-work figures of the Beatles as they appeared in the early '60s, borrowed from Madame Tussauds. In keeping with the park concept, the foreground of the scene is a floral display displaying the word "Beatles" spelt out in flowers. There are also several affectations from the Beatles' homes including small statues belonging to Lennon and Harrison, a small portable TV set and a trophy. A young delivery boy who provided the flowers for the photo session was allowed to contribute a guitar made of yellow hyacinths.

It has long been rumoured that some of the plants in the arrangement were cannabis plants. At the edge of the scene is a Shirley Temple doll wearing a sweater in homage to the Rolling Stones (who would return the tribute by having the Beatles hidden in the cover of their own Their Satanic Majesties Request LP later that year).
http://i60.tinypic.com/17y1yf.jpg
The highly collectable limited edition silkscreen print is still available and comes hand-signed and numbered by Peter Blake and features the embossed logo of the Beatles’ record label, Apple Records.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2lwt9bo.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:10 pm

Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, has died today, aged 70. RIP
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Joe Cocker's I'll Cry Instead, his first (Decca) record, from 1964, with Big Jim Sullivan and Jimmy Page playing guitars.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:46 pm
http://i60.tinypic.com/qp5gn7.jpg
A still from the earliest known colour footage of the Beatles showing the Fab Four backstage at a concert in Blackpool according to (source) this report

The three-and-a-half minute film, that has never before been seen, shows John, Paul, George and Ringo at the ABC Theatre in August 1963.
The footage, that has no sound, was shot on an 8mm film by Chas McDevitt of the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group, which was one of the support acts for the Beatles that night.

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:45 am
Plaque for Beatles manager Brian Epstein unveiled in Liverpool

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/81166000/jpg/_81166730_81166729.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-31558437
panzade

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 12:34 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Enjoyed reading his biography in wiki.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 01:37 pm
@panzade,
This is good, if it works for you with the copyright doodah nowadays.....

Eight or nine parts, about 90 minutes in all I think.

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9850244EB7BDBBB9
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 01:48 pm
I've met Epstein and talked with him ... at the bar of the 100 Club (Oxford Street, London), in 1964, I think ... without knowing who he was.
I wanted to watch Chris Barber that night, but it was a club membership only performance. A very nice girl, who came with a group, asked me why I looked so disappointed - to listen to some more modern music, I should go a bit further to the Marquee Club. When I explained my "missery", she took me in on her card. I don't know (better: I really have forgotten it) who she was, but one of her group was Epstein, a barkeeper told me later. (They had been at the National Jazz & Blues Festival in Richmond. And since the Stones had been there as well, I had explained to Epstein and others, why I liked them better then the Beatles.)

Edit: it really was 1964. The 4th National Jazz & Blues Festival, Richmond:Rolling Stones; Yardbirds; Kenny Ball, Memphis Slim; Chris Barber; Humphrey Lyttelton; Ottilie Patterson; Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames; Val McCallun and the Authentics; the T-Bones; the Grebbles; Mose Allison; Tubby Hayes Big Band; Graham Bond; African Messengers; Johnny Scott; Dick Morrisey; Alex Welsh; Long John Baldry; Manfred Mann, Jimmy Witherspoon)
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 02:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Nice one, Walt.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 02:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
To be honest: in that year, at that time, I
a) was very happy that I could get in and been able to watch/listen live to Chris Barber,
b) was very disappointed that I couldn't get closer to that nice girl.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 11:48 pm
Beatles did not revolutionise music, study claims
Quote:
[...]
The researchers believe they found evidence of a culture-shaking moment in pop, though – it just happened 30 years later. The emergence of hip-hop, which crash-landed in the charts in 1991, reinvented the musical landscape like nothing before or since, the study claims.
[...]
Not everyone is convinced by the findings, however. Mike Brocken, a senior lecturer in music at Liverpool Hope University and director of the world’s first Beatles masters degree, said: “Popular music cannot be ‘measured’ in this way – what about reception, the political economy, subcultures? So my first instincts are to question any study that uses the dreaded data analysis.”

He added: “I don’t think that the kind of formalistic musical analysis that is suggested here helps at all. The Beatles ‘communicated’ things to people; whether it was via an A-minor chord or an A-major chord really does not make the slightest difference. Semiotic approaches yield far more than chord shapes and time signatures.”

Brocken accepts that in many ways the Beatles were not pioneers of the musical styles they played, but believes this fails to diminish the group’s standing in the pop canon. “Most decent popular music researchers would probably agree that the Beatles were not so much innovators as musical magpies – and that’s not a criticism. They, like all of us, listened to all sorts of stuff and were duly inspired,” he said.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 01:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Queen gave those boys the OBE (on expert advice) because of their overall effect on the nation's economy. Whether or not they "revolutionized" music (and i don't know anyone who claims they did), they certainly radically altered their world.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 02:37 am
@Setanta,
Just in case that you need a song for today, set

0 Replies