Odds happening concerning google and a2k and advs.

BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 04:39 pm
I had two windows opened in a chrome browser and in one I was doing a search concerning bitcoins mining and the other were open on this website and an adv for a thousand dollars plus bitcoin mining hardware was shown to me in the able2know browser window.

Now I have third party cookies disable so how in the hell did the able2know adv server know of my google searches?

Somehow I do not think this is just a matter of chance that just as I was searching in one window concerning bitcoin mining another window offer me hardware to become a miner.

Correction I did not have third party cookies blocked in the chrome browser still this is surprising and worrisome regarding internet privacy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,420 • Replies: 4
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 04:59 pm
@BillRM,
Footnote while I did not have the no third party cookies enable I did have the no tracking beacon/request turn on so shame on google and able2know if they did not honor that request.
Peter Frouman

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:04 pm
@BillRM,
The "Do Not Track" option in Chrome doesn't actually do what most people would expect it to and users have to take additional steps to effectively disable tracking. Nearly all ads on able2know are served by Google and its servers do not currently do anything different in response to a "Do Not Track" request sent by a web browser. However, you can change this by visiting http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/ and editing your preferences there. You can also visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ to opt out of even more tracking. There are also a number of Chrome extensions that can be used to monitor and block various tracking cookies and scripts. Personally, I don't bother with this so I'm not very familiar with them but one that I tried recently is Ghostery.

There was an interesting article in the New York Times related to this awhile back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/technology/your-online-attention-bought-in-an-instant-by-advertisers.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:23 pm
@Peter Frouman,
Me, I'm so sorry google is fixated on my being in Albuquerque. I'd rather get ads from New York City, Stockholm, London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, Rio, Buenos Aires.

Whatever. Too bad I already know Albuquerque.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:24 pm
@Peter Frouman,
I run all my browsers in a sandbox that wiped out all cookies and browsing history and even so call super cookies at the end of a session so the only reason I took note of this tracking was in was during one browsing session.

Thanks for the info and the links in any case they are interesting.
0 Replies