cult classics

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 10:32 am
What constitutes "cult"? What are your favorites?

I enjoy RHPS, Meet the Feebles and Evil Dead.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,457 • Replies: 15
No top replies

thiefoflight

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:00 pm
To me a cult movie is any film that I find cool but the average film goer can't stand or figure out.
Some of my favorites;
REPO MAN
WITHNAIL AND I
THE FORBIDDEN ZONE
Anything directed by COFFIN JOE
TAPE HEADS
CAREFUL
WILD ZERO
The TURKISH STAR WARS
The TURKISH WIZARD OF OZ
BENEATH THE VALLEY OF THE ULTRA VIXENS
and any thing else by Russ Myers
Anything directed by John Waters
PLAN 9 FRoM OUTERSPACE
BLOW UP
JUBILEE
WORK IS A FOUR LETTER WORD (a late 60's English film which I would desperately like to get a copy of)
I could probably list 20 or 30 more but I can't think of them right now.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:16 pm
I loved "Withnail and I"! I think cult films are those that never had big audiences, but that I was lucky enough to see when they ran--and will always remember fondly.

Here's another: "Putney Swope" (directed by Robert Downey Sr.).

And one more: "Days of Heaven" (directed by Terence Malick)
0 Replies

owi

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:53 pm
For me cult films are old films I love to see ever and ever again!

e.g.

"Bud Spencer and Terence Hill" - movies,
"Koyaanisqatsi",
"Muttertag"(an Austrian film),
"Tron"

et cetera.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:21 pm
Do you think Monty Python movies are? Search for the Holy Grail was hilarious.

Also, Strange Brew...that was some funny stuff.

And "Slappy Doo Hoo's home-made video sex tape with midget strippers, frozen cucumbers, and other stuff too."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:28 pm
Hardware wars
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:46 pm
'Cult' movies are generally movies that did not do so well when they were released, but found a life over a period of time afterwards. Here are my favorites:

This is Spinal Tap
Office Space
Heathers
0 Replies

Shopgirl

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:57 am
Arousing Devotion
The lovely thing about cult films is that they can be as weird and obscure as possible and no-one can say neh to their status.

Rocky Horror
Some Like It Hot

spring to mind.
0 Replies

beatoswald

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:27 am
Its a difficult term to pin down. I think cult film are films that have an esoteric appeal. The fans of the film often support/embrace it with religious devotion. They tend to be slighty off-beat or just different from the prevalent mainstream films.

some of my favourites:

Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
Living Dead Trilogy
Repo Man
(anything with Harry Dean Stanton in it)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:29 am
Harold and Maude
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:45 am
Highlander
Strange Brew
Heathers
Harold and Maude
Road House
Wraiths
Arachniphobia
Psycho
Blade Runner
0 Replies

Shopgirl

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:14 am
Cult films
I had forgotten about Harold and Maude. I saw it years ago and it was the kind of movie that you think to yourself, I'll switch this off in a minute, then devotedly watch it till the credits roll!

If I was to list a top five of favourite films it would have to contain;

Moonstruck - Cher kicking the can along the road, happy and replete (moments like that are what make life worth living!)

Birdcage - anyone who doesn't laugh at Gene Hackman dressed as a woman does not have a sense of humour! The camp characters are my faves though, the one who plays the butler and can't wear shoes - fabulous!

Being a Thomas Harris fan I would have to say Silence of the Lambs and also the prequel (the original one) Manhunter.

But I just adore movies anyway, hence writing on this site about my love for them!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:42 am
Aside from the prequel Manhunter, I completely agree with you on your choices Shopgirl! Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:51 am
Local Hero

Dr Strangelove

Withnail & I

Sunday Bloody Sunday

(there must be more ...)
0 Replies

Shopgirl

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
Why not Manhunter?
Surely the scene where Will Graham has just been to see Hannibal and runs down the long winding white passageways, desperate to escape from what he knows inside himself, just as much as to escape from the dear old Doctor! It's a classic scene and it's why I love the film. It's so understated. Don't get me wrong, I own the updated version too. The bit where Will (the new one) leafs through Hannibal's gourmet cooking book and chillingly comes across Hannibal's annotations regarding sweetbreads - yummy! Has me coming back for seconds every time. The book however was far superior to either of the films, just as the last book in the trilogy 'Hannibal' is way better than the film. No matter how beautifully Ridley Scott directed the film, you cannot escape the fact that the ending of the film is completely contrary to the novel. Plus there is a whole character missing, Mason's heavily masculine lesbian sister - and quite frankly who can take the deformed Mr Verger's character seriously??

Anyway, I should stop blathering on about cannibalistic serial killers and go and make the dinner! :wink:
0 Replies

Abe Rudder

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 12:20 am
2 WORDS
ANIMAL HOUSE.
0 Replies