fresco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:46 am
@JLNobody,
Einstein and Sherlock Holmes would concur ! Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:04 am
@JLNobody,
As a self taught musician I have discovered that I am free of many of the inhibitions formally educated musicians are restrained by.
Simultaneously I consider everyone I play with a teacher. I learn from them all, as they learn from me. We challenge ourselves and each other to improve.
My point is that no one is really self-taught.
It's more that they have taken responsibility for their own learning, a principle that is embraced by most formal schools, and which ironically the formal education system discourages with it's formality...
vikorr

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:26 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
My point is that no one is really self-taught. It's more that they have taken responsibility for their own learning...

Well, I only have one quibble with this - Where has all the knew knowledge in the world come from? New knowledge isn't 'learned' from someone else.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:42 pm
@JLNobody,

JLNobody wrote:

Absolutely, some of the most cultivated people I know are autodidacts. They've educated themselves INFORMALLY in the arts, literature, philosophy, etc. without the benefit of FORMAL education.

Our own Robert Gentel [formerly known as Craven deKere] is one such. I do hope he comes to this thread with a comment of his own.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I never would have guessed Robert Gentle is not a technocrat...his Jacobin aggressive effort to be believable certainly paints a different picture...but oh well. who am I to make such assumptions on a guy I barely know and read...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 04:52 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
He has posted a number of times on these threads that he is a complete autodidact and entirely self-taught. Go figure
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:14 pm

sure get an education , either by travel as queen has suggest , or formally , later and by self taught

the thing is you are very young , so before the journey , think about things , view the title of any subject , to simulate your thinking , and I mean YOUR thinking upon the subject with no thoughts by anyone else , for now your not interested in anyone eleses thoughts , just your own ,this will be your foundation , for now and in the future , a place you can go back to when , if you become confused on any thought , this is very valuable
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 06:27 pm
@michelleyy,
Act spontaneously and be not sticky.
0 Replies