sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 08:36 am
Usually I'm a dab hand at Google searching but I haven't had any luck with this yet.

My kid was a dragon baby (born in the year 2000), and now this is the year of the dragon. Is anything special supposed to happen when it's "your" year?

Not that I believe in astrology or anything (ahem). (Skeptic though I may be, Capricorn + Chinese zodiac Dog describes my personality quite well.)

Gōng Xǐ Fā Cái!
(Happy New Year in Chinese, according to a Google search anyway)

wandeljw

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:01 am
@sozobe,
My wife is Chinese. Every twelve years "your" special animal comes up. This is a special year for you but you are also more vulnerable to bad luck in such a year. Whenever the year of the sheep comes up, my wife wears a red string around one of her ankles to ward off bad luck.
sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:19 am
@wandeljw,
Interesting, thanks!

Sozlet may be getting a red string.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:56 am
@sozobe,
There are, I think, at least 9 different types of dragons in the Chinese Zodiac. This is not just the year of the dragon - it is the year of the water dragon.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:04 am
Don't know if any of y'all would be interested in my (somewhat) related thread:

http://able2know.org/topic/183561-1
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Just out of curiosity, how the heck do you find something like that out?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:05 pm
@RexDraconis111,
That there are many different types of dragons?

After one of my colleagues of Chinese descent told me that she was a particular type of dragon, I asked her a couple of questions ... and then did some googling to fill in the blanks. Of course, since I can't read Chinese, there's a limit to how far I can take my research (unless I want to drive my colleague whacky).

http://www.astrologizeme.com/your_chinese_sign.shtml

the signs in combination with the elements

http://www.crystalinks.com/chinadragons.html

signs/elements/types of dragons

Quote:
Types of Dragons

There are nine major types of Chinese dragons. These include the horned dragon, the winged dragon, the celestial dragon (which supports and protects the mansions of the gods), the spiritual dragon which generates wind and rain for the benefit of mankind), the dragon of hidden treasures (which keeps guard over concealed wealth), the coiling dragon (which lives in water), and the yellow dragon (which once emerged from water and presented the legendary Emperor Fu Shi with the elements of writing)

The last of the nine is the dragon king, which actually consists of four separate dragons, each of which rules over one of the four seas, those of the east, south, west, and north.

The most powerful generalized type of Chinese dragon is the horned dragon, or lung, which can produce rain and is totally deaf. Additionally, there is a homeless dragon (Ii) that lives in the ocean and another type (chiao) that is scale-covered and usually inhabits marshes but also keeps dens in the mountains.
RexDraconis111

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I see. Thanks for the info and links. This'll definitely sate my curiosity. Very Happy
0 Replies