Social Media Exchanges and Teacher/Student Boundaries

firefly

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:09 am
Quote:
The New York Times
December 17, 2011
Rules to Stop Pupil and Teacher From Getting Too Social Online
By JENNIFER PRESTON

Faced with scandals and complaints involving teachers who misuse social media, school districts across the country are imposing strict new guidelines that ban private conversations between teachers and their students on cellphones and online platforms like Facebook and Twitter.

The policies come as educators deal with a wide range of new problems. Some teachers have set poor examples by posting lurid comments or photographs involving sex or alcohol on social media sites. Some have had inappropriate contact with students that blur the teacher-student boundary. In extreme cases, teachers and coaches have been jailed on sexual abuse and assault charges after having relationships with students that, law enforcement officials say, began with electronic communication.

But the stricter guidelines are meeting resistance from some teachers because of the increasing importance of technology as a teaching tool and of using social media to engage with students. In Missouri, the state teachers union, citing free speech, persuaded a judge that a new law imposing a statewide ban on electronic communication between teachers and students was unconstitutional. Lawmakers revamped the bill this fall, dropping the ban but directing school boards to develop their own social media policies by March 1.

School administrators acknowledge that the vast majority of teachers use social media appropriately. But they also say they are increasingly finding compelling reasons to limit teacher-student contact. School boards in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia have updated or are revising their social media policies this fall.

“My concern is that it makes it very easy for teachers to form intimate and boundary-crossing relationships with students,” said Charol Shakeshaft, chairwoman of the Department of Educational Leadership at Virginia Commonwealth University, who has studied sexual misconduct by teachers for 15 years. “I am all for using this technology. Some school districts have tried to ban it entirely. I am against that. But I think there’s a middle ground that would allow teachers to take advantage of the electronic technology and keep kids safe.”

Lewis Holloway, the superintendent of schools in Statesboro, Ga., imposed a new policy this fall prohibiting private electronic communications after learning that Facebook and text messages had helped fuel a relationship between an eighth grade English teacher and her 14-year-old male pupil. The teacher was arrested this summer on charges of aggravated child molestation and statutory rape, and remains in jail awaiting trial.

“It can start out innocent and get more and more in depth quickly,” said Mr. Holloway, a school administrator for 38 years. “Our students are vulnerable through new means, and we’ve got to find new ways to protect them.”

Mr. Holloway said he learned of other sexual misconduct cases when consulting with school administrators around the nation about social media policies. While there is no national public database of sexual misconduct by teachers, dozens of cases have made local headlines around the country this year.

In Illinois, a 56-year-old former language-arts teacher was found guilty in September on sexual abuse and assault charges involving a 17-year-old female student with whom he had exchanged more than 700 text messages. In Sacramento, a 37-year-old high school band director pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct stemming from his relationship with a 16-year-old female student; her Facebook page had more than 1,200 private messages from him, some about massages. In Pennsylvania, a 39-year-old male high school athletic director pleaded guilty in November to charges of attempted corruption of a minor; he was arrested after offering a former male student gifts in exchange for sex.

School administrators are also concerned about teachers’ revealing too much information about their private lives. As part of a policy adopted last month in Muskegon, Mich., public school employees were warned they could face disciplinary charges for posting on social media sites photos of themselves using alcohol or drugs. “We wanted to have a policy that encourages interaction between our students and parents and teachers,” said Jon Felske, superintendent for Muskegon’s public schools. “That is how children learn today and interact. But we want to do it with the caveat: keep work work — and keep private your personal life.”

New York City, the nation’s largest school district, has been at work on a social media policy for months, and expects to have one in place by spring. In the meantime, controversies over social media erupt regularly, like one earlier this month over a Bronx principal whose Facebook page included a risqué picture that was then posted in the hallways of her school.

Richard J. Condon, special commissioner of investigation for New York City schools, said there had been a steady increase in the number of complaints of inappropriate communications involving Facebook alone in recent years — 85 complaints from October 2010 through September 2011, compared with only eight from September 2008 through October 2009.

What worries some educators is that overly restrictive policies will remove an effective way of engaging students who regularly use social media platforms to communicate.

“I think the reason why I use social media is the same reason everyone else uses it: it works,” said Jennifer Pust, head of the English department at Santa Monica High School, where a nonfraternization policy governs both online and offline relationships with students. “I am glad that it is not more restrictive. I understand we need to keep kids safe. I think that we would do more good keeping kids safe by teaching them how to use these tools and navigate this online world rather than locking it down and pretending that it is not in our realm.”

Nicholas Provenzano, 32, who has been teaching English for 10 years at Grosse Point High School in Michigan, acknowledged that “all of us using social media in a positive way with kids have to take 15 steps back whenever there is an incident.” But he said the benefits were many and that he communicated regularly with his students in an open forum, mostly through Twitter, responding to their questions about assignments. He has even shared a photo of his 6-month-old son. On occasion, he said, he will exchange private messages about an assignment or school-related task. He said that in addition to modeling best practices on social media use, he has been able to engage some students on Twitter who would not raise their hand in class.

He also said social media networks allowed him to collaborate on projects in other parts of the country. Facebook offers guidance for teachers and recommends they communicate on a public page.

Some teachers, however, favor a sharply defined barrier. In Dayton, Ohio, where the school board imposed a social media policy this fall, limiting teachers to public exchanges on school-run networks, the leader of the teachers union welcomed the rules. “I see it as protecting teachers,” said David A. Romick, president of the Dayton Education Association. “For a relationship to start with friending or texting seems to be heading down the wrong path professionally.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/business/media/rules-to-limit-how-teachers-and-students-interact-online.html?hpw[/images]

What do others here feel about this? Should private cell phone conversations, and exchanges on social media sites, between teachers and students, be banned or restricted in any way?

Do teachers need to maintain a social distance from their students?

Should teachers reveal private information about themselves on social media sites?

Are firm rules about social media use needed to protect teachers?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:22 am
@firefly,
Certainly interesting but I wonder how the school district authorities are going to enforce such rules. Monitor their teachers' and students' online behavior?
BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:44 am
@firefly,
We live in an insane world and so students can not email teachers concerning their school work or text them or....................

I assume teachers conferences with students will be a thing of the past also.

The only amusing thing is that female teachers will start to get a taste of being assume to be child molesters or would be child molesters that men had to put up for many decades now.

Well Firefly your dream world of no trust of any kind given to adults working with minors is coming into being.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:44 am
@firefly,
Somewhat scary to me as a reader.

Backing up, I suppose the inappropriate connections have always happened at least as ideas, and now have a foothold.

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:48 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Certainly interesting but I wonder how the school district authorities are going to enforce such rules. Monitor their teachers' and students' online behavior?

If you read this it is not just facebook or online behaviors it is no private communications of any nature not even a phone call or a email.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:51 am
Quote:
What do others here feel about this? Should private cell phone conversations, and exchanges on social media sites, between teachers and students, be banned or restricted in any way?

As a parent first and teacher second, I can unequivocally say that if student is under eighteen, the parent or legal guardian needs to be involved in or aware of all of my out-of-the-classroom communication with any student.
As a parent, I do not want any teacher communicating with my child by any means which excludes me.
I can't think of an instance in which that would be necessary.
As a teacher, I would not feel comfortable usurping the parents' role or rights to be aware of all that is happening with their child and/or undermine their ability to make informed decisions by communicating with their child in a way that was non-inclusive of them.
I would protect myself by only communicating with that student in a way that could only be construed as totally open and above board.

Any teacher with a brain in his or her head would never put him or herself in the position they might find themselves in by disrespecting the parents rights to decide to whom and about what it is appropriate for their child to speak and speaking to that student privately without the parents knowledge or consent.
If I needed to speak to a child on the phone I would call his or her house and ask his/her mother or father if that was alright.
If a teacher called and asked to talk to my minor child, I'd tell the teacher, 'Yeah - that's fine- but I'll be listening on the other line.'
What would a teacher need to say to a child that the parent couldn't hear?
I can't think of one single appropriate thing.

Quote:
Do teachers need to maintain a social distance from their students?

Yeah - just as all adults should maintain an appropriate social distance from all children who aren't their offspring.
I don't call up my friend's children and have private conversations with them.
Why would I?

Quote:
Should teachers reveal private information about themselves on social media sites?

Probably not- but private as in what? Family information? Addresses?
I'm on facebook because I communicate with my family in the states through it, but my account is locked and I don't have the town I live in listed on there because I do not want my students (convicted felons) to know where I live - simple as that.

Code:Are firm rules about social media use needed to protect teachers?

Teachers should know how to behave appropriately and protect themselves.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/181789-1
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:56 am
@BillRM,
BillRN wrote:
We live in an insane world and so students can not email teachers concerning their school work or text them or....................

I assume teachers conferences with students will be a thing of the past also.

Thumbs up on that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:58 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Backing up, I suppose the inappropriate connections h ave always happened at least as ideas, and now have a foothold.

Seventy years before the internet when phone numbers was still four digits a girlfriend of my mother ended up marrying one of her teachers within weeks of graduation.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 01:11 am
@aidan,
Quote:
As a parent, I do not want any teacher communicating with my child by any means which excludes me.

So a email question about a homework problem need to go through you as a parent?

One of the nice things since we had gain the kind of communication web the society now enjoy is that in taking courses you can leave messages for the instructor at any time and get an answer back normally in a timely manner.

Back to the stone age it would seems to protected the children..............

The only problem is even in the stone age of my mother youth when there is a desire there is a way and the education price in shutting down rapid communications between teachers and students is not going to be small.
aidan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 01:42 am
@BillRM,
I don't know what to tell you Bill.
I wouldn't exchange e-mails with a minor student.
No - I wouldn't.
My words could be changed or misconstrued and I would not place myself in a vulnerable position like that.
I taught in the public schools for ten or twelve years after e-mails became common and every kid had their own computer and I have never communicated with a child about homework or anything else via e-mail.

If the child is sick and has missed school and the mother or father asks for assignments, I'll e-mail them to the parent, which really actually insures that the child is more likely to actually do the work because the parent is aware of what the assignment is and when it is due - and why shouldn't a parent be privy to that information?
In what way is that invading the child's privacy?
So, yes, we did, as teachers, have parent's e-mail addresses, but not the students'.
Also, there is a homework website so that any student or parent who wants to know what the assignment is can log on and get that information without bothering the teacher after hours.

I mean do you really think a teacher should teach all day answering questions and helping with work and then go home and be bombarded with e-mails from kids asking questions as if she's still teaching an on-line class?
Get a clue. If a kid has a question about homework, they can ask it in class the next day.
Or wait - what - because of the internet the kid gets an instantaneous answer and the teacher is never off duty?
Is that how people really believe school should be now?
The teacher and all the answers at the kids beck and call day and night?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 01:51 am
One of the other interesting feature of this idea of stopping most forms of rapid communication is it going to drive the kids nuts.

They was born onto a society of rapid many layers communication web and I have to smile when they are told the one area and the one class of persons they can not have the benefits of this web is their teachers.

Why they will ask and then I can see the looks in their eyes when they are told that the society does not trust your teachers not to try to subduce you.

Hell come to think of it teachers in their 20s are going to be equally in shock that they will not be allow to communicate with their students except in the classroom as they are also part of the generation that take this kind of communication web as a birth right.

Hell I am 63 and I love the ability to enteract with the college professor who produce a history podcast I listen to.

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:00 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I can unequivocally say that if student is under eighteen, the parent or legal guardian needs to be involved in or aware of all of my out-of-the-classroom communication with any student.

By the way Aidan there is a 13 years old girl on this website or so she claimed to be that a large percent of this group is interacting with on matters of dating and boyfriends and sex including the author of this thread without the parent knowing a thing about it as far as I am aware of.

Such is the nature of this society and yet we are going to protect this child by stopping her from communicating with her teachers over school work?
aidan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:01 am
@BillRM,
You know think about what your expectations are for one minute.
You're not talking about one individual calling, texting or e-mailing a teacher with a question.
You're talking about the possibility that 25 or 30 will do that in an evening because they might not understand the assignment or have a question.
That's just not a realistic expectation to have of a human being who has already worked all day, and very probably is going home to take care of his or her own children and family and household chores.

When I used to teach public school, I got there at 8:00 - left at 5:00 and very often took calls from parents in the evening.
If I had kids texting and calling my cell phone asking questions about homework after school hours, when would you expect me to have time with my own children and family or relax?
No - there's no reason for it and it's totally unrealistic.
These kids need to learn about consideration and respect and putting other peoples' needs and lives above their unhealthy need to be in constant and immediate communication with the whole world.
It may be the way they've been socialized, but if we want them to be healthy and functioning adults, we need to teach them how to think about the needs of other people and how to delay gratification.
aidan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:09 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
By the way Aidan there is a 13 years old girl on this website or so she claimed to be that a large percent of this group is interacting with on matters of dating and boyfriends and sex including the author of this thread without the parent knowing a thing about it as far as I am aware of.

Such is the nature of this society and yet we are going to protect this child by stopping her from communicating with her teachers over school work?

People make their own choices. I can only control my own actions and I know that I wouldn't want my daughter talking about our personal family business or her private sexual experiences to strangers on the internet, so I don't participate in those threads.
I would encourage any child with those sorts of questions to direct them to his/her parent or an adult in their life they know and know they can trust.

If they don't have an adult such as that in their life, I'd direct them to their school counsellor who could put them in contact with someone who could help them appropriately and with all the attendant knowledge about the situation that someone simply reading on the internet could not possibly have.
BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:17 am
@aidan,
Quote:
You're talking about the possibility that 25 or 30 will do that in an evening because they might not understand the assignment or have a question.
That's just not a realistic expectation to have of a human being who has already worked all day, and very probably is going home to take care of his or her own children and family and household chores

Yes you have a point teachers are facing what other employees are facing they are unfairly assume to be available 24/7.

Still having a email address you can look at and response on your time frame or a facebook page seem more then worthwhile and doable.

As an adult I had taken a few online courses and this kind of arrangement had work out fine.

No one that I know of is talking about forcing you to do so however.

So we are talking about two issues in any case being overloaded with the communications and the need to set limits and the other banning not limiting communications for possible sexual misconduct reasons.

I can see the need for the one but not so must the need for the other.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:26 am
@aidan,
Quote:
People make their own choices. I can only control my own actions and I know that I wouldn't want my daughter talking about our personal family business or her private sexual experiences to strangers on the internet, so I don't participate in those threads.

We agree but the point I was trying to make is that the benefit of having communications between teachers and students is clear and likelihood of harm is small and tiny in relationship to the vast ocean that we are all swimming in of rapid communications that our children and we are now both part of.

Like everything else in life we should do a risk/ benefit judgment on the idea of shutting down communication with one class of adults IE teachers.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:37 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Hell come to think of it teachers in their 20s are going to be equally in shock that they will not be allow to communicate with their students except in the classroom as they are also part of the generation that take this kind of communication web as a birth right.

No, most of the teachers quoted in the article in my opening post seem to feel there should be some rules governing teacher/student contacts in place, it's more a matter of how restrictive the rules should be.

Like aidan, I can't think of legitimate reasons a student needs private contacts with a teacher via electronic devices. There can be a public Web page to give information about assignments and to answer questions about them. And I think she's correct in pointing out that the teacher becomes vulnerable once he or she enters into private communications which can be misconstrued in some way.

Teachers and students really shouldn't be having social relationships with each other outside of class, and I think the private electronic communications might make it too easy to slip into that for some.

I'm not sure there would be problems with a public Facebook page. GracieGirl, I think, said that some of her teachers are friends on her Facebook page. But teachers do have to be careful about the private information they share with students, or that students can access. The social media sites do encourage exhibitionism to a certain extent.

I'd like to know more about how some of those teachers are using the social media interactions with students in a positive way, and how they use them to model appropriate and safe behavior for the students.
firefly

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:00 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Those are public postings on a public forum. They are not private communications. And the other posters are anonymous and not actually involved in that 13 year old's life.
That's very different than communications with someone, like her teacher, who has a formally defined role in relation to her. That teacher has boundaries that should not be crossed with a student, posters on a public forum are not governed by any such rules.
It isn't just a parent wanting to monitor a child's communication with everyone, like perhaps the people on this forum, it's the parent wanting to know about the nature of the communications with other adults that are part of her child's real life world. It could be the piano teacher, or a coach, as well as the teachers at school. Why would they be looking to interact with the child outside of their defined role, or outside of the real life environment where they generally have contact with the child?

Why would a junior high or high school student need to have "rapid communication" with a teacher? And why does that communication need to be private? Assignment info can be posted on public Web pages. Most things, if not all things, can wait until the next day.

You keep bringing up examples of college professors, but we are talking about public school teachers and much younger students. That's a different ball game.
BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:06 am
@firefly,
Sorry some communication method are private by their very nature such as email and I can see why a child might not wish to ask a question to the teacher for all his or her classmates could read.

Grading on tests issues come to mind along with requests for extra credit assignments and even a fear of seeming dumb to her or his classmates by the question ask or the nature of the help needed.

Now let go back to Graciegirl every one on this system can send her a private message or she can send them one and as far as I know her father had not a clue she is talking about sex and boyfriends and making out on this website with strange adults.

This kind of situation is all too common but we are going to protect the Graciegirls of the world by banning them from having any private communications with one class of adults their teachers?

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:14 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

1.It's a Forum, not a website.
2. The majority of people here that know her, refuse to give sexual information persay and or tell her to speak to her Father.

3. That also means the majority of mature people here know that in-teracting with her is fine, and she is sweet, lovely good but giving "advice" on Adult behaviour other than "talk to your Father,is where they draw the line, or talk to a female figure in your family.

4. Note you as a Great Grandfather offer no "advice" at all, I note

5. Note you are viewing threads/posts of a 13 year old.

6. Message to all that know her, to warn her, ....of any PM's.

Anything else Bill I missed?