What is the difference between a model sheet and a "character study" in cartooning/animation?

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:57 am
I know a model sheet is a guide animators and cartoonists use to help draw a character; it shows what characters look like from difference views, relative sizes, facial expressions, poses, etc. What is the difference between that and a "character study"? I have heard artists use the term "character study".Aren't they basically the same thing, or is a "character study" just a series of drawings of a character that are made to get the feel of a character's personality? Can some please define "character study" is in art terms and explain what the difference between that and a model sheet? Please help - thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,583 • Replies: 34

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Here is the answer you were given when you asked the same question on Yahoo.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111214000717AAmlF4X

Quote:
Character study refers to the writing aspect of cartooning. They are the character's personality and how said character would react in certain situations. Some model sheets are attached to reference how said character would look with said emotion. Sometimes it's hard to tell apart angry from frustrated on a new character. Hence why the character study is made (written text, like a paper) to let the animators feel the character along with the model sheets so they can make a seamless animation.

A model sheet is exactly how you explained it: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20

And don't get pissed about me bringing your stuff here from other sites. I copied your question into Google and this is what came up.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
That doesn't answer the question - STOP VOLUNTEERING STUFF ABOUT ME. STAY OUT OF MY BUSINESS.

I DID NOT ASK YOU.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
When you post a question on this forum, you are asking the question of every single member here, of which I am one.

All I did was attempt to answer your question by copying it into a Google search. It isn't my problem that you also posted it elsewhere verbatim.

You would know it if I was in your business and volunteering stuff about you. You have put out there more than enough to fill this forum with just as many inane posts as you have created here.

Behave yourself or I may not be able to restrain myself from ignoring your pleas and start volunteering your business here to everyone. Don't tempt me.

(Yes, that is a threat, and not an empty one.)

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
Also, I have repeatedly asked you to stop sending PMs to me. Must I report your abuse to the admins or will you control yourself?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
I SAID TO STOP DISRESPECTING ME.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
You get what you dish out. If you can't take it, then stop dishing it out.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
IN THE NAME OF JESUS I COMMAND YOU TO STOP DISRESPECTING ME.

SATAN, THE LORD REBUKE YOU- THE BLOOD OF JESUS IS AGAINST YOU.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm starting to feel very tempted. Do you wish to continue provoking me? I've already got pages and pages of stuff to post about you. It won't take more than a few seconds to do so.

It is your choice. If you can't take it, stop dishing it out.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:36 pm
Anyway, I found the answer when I looked it up in in Google Image search.
Character studies are just mood/personality drawings.

Model sheets are just drawings to show how a character is constructed how to draw different poses, and facial expressions, etc. as a point of reference.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

IN THE NAME OF JESUS I COMMAND YOU TO STOP DISRESPECTING ME.

SATAN, THE LORD REBUKE YOU- THE BLOOD OF JESUS IS AGAINST YOU.

THE DEVIL IS A LIAR AND A SPOILT AND DEFEATED FOE.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
Is this your way of encouraging me to start posting your business here?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:45 pm
THIS witch Butrflynet, thinks someone is playing with her. I AM NOT PLAYING WITH HER- I AM SERIOUS AS CANCER.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
I AM TELLING YOU TO BACK THE HELL OFF.

THIS witch Butrflynet, thinks someone is playing with her. I AM NOT PLAYING WITH HER- I AM SERIOUS AS CANCER.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
That question was deleted Ms. Intelligencia.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 03:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
You need to go back to your doctor. Obviously the meds he has you on are not working. You need a stronger prescription.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 03:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I AM TELLING YOU TO BACK THE HELL OFF.

I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY WITH HER.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 03:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
When someone goes and tries to VOLUNTEER something about someone that is INVADING SOMEONE'S PRIVACY - THAT IS BEING RUDE.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 03:23 pm
Did you know there is a Mavericker Appreciation Society page on Facebook?

They collect quotes from your posts there. Shall I copy some of them here?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 03:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
NO - AND STOP TALKING TO ME. YOU ARE ON IGNORE.