Is coconut water good?

Linkat

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 04:26 pm
I've been seeing alot of flavored coconut water stuff lately. Is this stuff any good? Is it good for you? I love coconut, but what is up with the water stuff?

Rockhead

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 04:29 pm
@Linkat,
I duuno. we don't see a lot of cutting edge trends here on the prairie.

I would be sure to read the fine print on it. if it says nut water, it might be just a way to try and slip you some greek yoghurt.

stay safe out there...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:16 pm
@Linkat,
Being a fan of Survivor, you probably remember all the runny problems a diet of coconuts gave the players in some of the early seasons. Coconut milk/water is a natural laxative that you'll want to drink in moderation.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:19 pm
@Linkat,
No not really, and I love coconut in every shape and form too!
I do buy coconut milk though - not the thick kind, the regular that's in the
milk section next to the almond milk. My daughter doesn't like to drink milk but she sure loves that coconut milk, as do I.
Robert Gentel

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:27 pm
@Linkat,
Coconut water (the real thing) is great for you. Not magic potion great, but one of the "perfect" foods nutrition-wise.

I have no idea what the "flavored" thing you describe is, but it's never ceased to amaze me how many simple natural things turn into a sugary flavor drink that is still supposed to be healthy in America (I'm looking at you Guarana!). From what little you describe it sounds similar to those fads.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:29 pm
@Linkat,
It's great stuff.

It's the liquid in a coconut, not juice made from the meat.

Nutty flavored but not real sweet or "coconutty"

Tastes great and so good for you: rehydration

You can buy it flavored (I've seen and tried mango and chocolate) or plain and with or without pulp.

I prefer plain with pulp
Ceili

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 12:51 am
Yummy!! I love coconut water. I've never had it any other way but straight out of a fresh coconut though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 01:30 am
@Linkat,
The real thing is delicious....but it's naturally fairly sweet so probably not great if you're watching sugars a lot. We can now get it in containers and that's pretty good too. I'd avoid the flavoured stuff and look for it without additives. It's great when you get it served straight from the chilled coconut.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 05:00 am
anything 'flavored' is scary.

If you want to try coconut milk but a big one and put a straw in the top. it tastes WONDERFUL.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 07:26 am
@CalamityJane,
I've never tried just coconut milk - is that good for you like regular milk? I don't like regular milk either.
Linkat

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 07:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
This is the stuff I've been seeing around.

http://vitacoco.com/our-products/
Linkat

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 07:28 am
@Linkat,
Ah the picture didn't work - here is the link

http://vitacoco.com/our-products/
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 07:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Maybe I will try it - I think I'd like the plain without pulp - don't like solids in my liquids.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 08:17 am
@Linkat,
That's it, although I've not had Vita brand water.

It's a hell of a lot easier getting it out of these bottles than an actual coconut. If you find you like it, I think you'll be fine sacrificing a little authenticity for convenience.

Most of the companies that sell the stuff are all New Wave so you shouldn't have to worry about preservatives and such, but check the label if it concerns you.

I suggest you try it flavored as well (mango). If you hate it plain, you're probably not going to like it flavored, and it's hardly the nectar of the Gods that you need to get down your throat somehow, but the flavored still has the coconut water taste...just less pronounced.

What do you have to lose>
Irishk

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 09:52 am
I keep several cans of coconut milk and a jar of coconut oil in the pantry, but I haven't tried the 'water'. I like and drink a lot of water, but I tend to like it 'plain'. The milk and oil, however, is said to have some health benefits so I use them. Can't hurt....hopefully. Hmmm...maybe I'll try the coconut water, too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:00 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I've never tried just coconut milk - is that good for you like regular milk? I don't like regular milk either.

Yes, it is in my book - we all love it! Here is a comparison to regular milk
http://www.silkpurecoconut.com/images/comparison-original.gif
http://www.frugalfritzie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/silk-pure-coconut.bmp
Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:04 am
Hippie drink. I put it in the same category as Kombucha and Yerba Mate: **** I ain't gonna drink, no matter how popular it is with the cool kids.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Not if you add a little rum...and one of those cute mini umbrellas. (Just don't elevate your pinkie when taking a sip)!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:30 am
@Linkat,
I tried it (the flavored version in which I can't remember) once recently because it was on sale. "Meh..." is all I have to say on the experience.
Linkat

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well I like seltzer water - with just a little lemon or lime flavor. They had it on sale at my local grocery store so I wondered if I should try it - what the heck.

1. Forums
  2. » Is coconut water good?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 08:26:28