Anyone for Matcli?

sms

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:43 am
Has anybody come across malware or a virus called 'matchli'. I have a serious prob;em on my last pc because of this and need help to sort it out.

I'd clear the whole disk and take it back to factory setting if not for the fact that there are photo's I desperately want to keep and was unable to back up (because this thing actually broke the cd tray) on it.

Would welcome any help you are able to give me with this.

SMS
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,386 • Replies: 2
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:53 am
@sms,
found this when searching the word matcli

http://www.infopackets.com/news/software/windows_tips/2004/20040323_uninstall_matcli_vendor_support.htm

Uninstall Matcli vendor support?

by Dennis Faas on 20040323 @ 05:52PM EST | google it | send to friends
Filed under Software | Windows Tips | (related terms: system, hp instant support, remove matcli, information, uninstall)

Gazette Readers Sid M. writes:

" An icon with the word 'Matcli' appears on my task bar at every boot up. As soon as I open a program, Matcli goes away. I did a little research on Matcli and found that it is an acronym which stands for Motive Chorus Command Line Interface. The purpose of Matcli is to gather information about your system's identity like your name, email address, city, state, etc, and all of this gets written to a log file.

One of the sites I visited told me that in order to remove Matcli, I need to 'uninstall HP instant support'. Unfortunately, I don't have any HP hardware or software on my system! I have tried different things to get rid of it, but I can not figure out what it has attached itself to. Are you familiar with this and how can I remove it? "

My response:

After visiting annoyances.org, I found quite a few people complaining about the same problem. From what I understand, Matcli is bundled with software that comes from an Internet Service Provider (such as Verizon, and Adelphia, for example) or hardware manufacture (such as Hewlett Packard [HP] printers). Apparently, Matcli is used for diagnostics and customer support for vendors.

It has been reported that Matcli may interfere with other programs and cause the computer to lock up. Furthermore, Spyware removers won't identify this program simply because it's "not Spyware". However, there is much concern about Matcli since it collects personal and private information.

Uninstalling Matcli

To uninstall Matcli, remove any "support program" listed in the Add / Remove Programs (via the Control Panel). For example, the program called "HP's instant support" is directly linked to Matcli. Removing the support program will remove Matcli from the system.
sms

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:12 am
@djjd62,
Thank you so much for that info. I looked everywhere I could think of on the system and couldn't find it, this explains why. When I was looking for an answer to my matchli problem I found other users had the same trouble as me but no-one knew much about it (I've left the computer untouched for the last 18 months or so).

The printer attached to that PC is an HP printer, it's a bit odd though that the problem started ages after I got the system, it was fine for the first 2-3 years. I'll have a go at the uninstall and see if I can get the thing working well enough to retrieve my pics.

Thanks again for the help.

SMS
0 Replies