What are you actively doing to make this world a better place?

jeff37

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:37 am

NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:50 am
@jeff37,
When I was very young, it was decided that I should go to a school for the mentally handicapped. It came to a high contrast point when I shared a classroom with a known genius. However, I did not get to go, as my IQ test put me above the class pet.
I decided that I had two choices, I had to put my talent to work. So, I work on problems no one else has been able to solve, and I have solved a few. I post free educational material on the Internet Archive, work that I have spent thousands of hours on my own to do.

No one can eat for someone, breathe for someone, hear for someone, however, one can understand that pereption determines conception, conception determines will. Once stated, be an example, or specifically provide opportunities that others may or may not take advantage of.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 12:26 pm
NoOne! Kudos to you........ You are great.

I am a bit normal and less talented than you are. So, what i do is, when my eyes turn heavy after being at the PC till 1 am, i make it a point every night to shut my PC down, put off the UPS and the router from the main supply. I put off the TV mains and the set top box, go to the kitchen and put off the microwave from the main supply. I then do something naughty. I unplug each of the power adapter of the mobile phones in my household, whether charged or not. I follow a zero-tolerence policy on such a simple task every day, each night.

Why?... i think it wuld lead to a better world! So jeff, here's my little bit ........
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 12:42 pm
I like to give sincere compliments to complete strangers.

You don't know how many times the person will stop dead in their tracks, get a soft look in there eyes and say something like "This (whatever you just said looked great on them/was quite striking) belonged to my grandmother/father/uncle, etc.

I seldom get a toss-away "thanks", more like a pause and a "why, thank you!"

It's like you tossed a thread out, and they caught it.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 01:12 pm
@jeff37,
Currently - I am a pen pal to an inner city elementary school boy. It is something small that I feel can directly contribute to a child.

With two young children, myself and working full time - I have little time to be as active as I would like. I volunteer often times with projects through work as it accomdates my schedule.

I have been involved in many volunteer opportunities in the past - most center around children, but I've also helped out with animals, the elderly, homeless and cancer societies.
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:45 pm
@NoOne phil,
What sort of "free educational material" did you post? and where? Would it be okay if you share this information with me?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:56 pm
Well, I'm trying to be less grumpy.
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:08 pm
@jeff37,
I do the "pulling out the power outlet" contribution too, but only within my room, but now I will perform this with my house.

The only time I drive my car is when it rains, or on special occasions. All of my needs are covered with my GT Series 4.

I expose the corruption of American foreign policies, and other power imbalances that are present so that people my age, (those that are going to make the difference in this world) realize their responsibility and are aware of the injustice that needs to be fixed.

A bit egotistical, but I study. I study so that I will not ill-inform others, and so that I have the knowledge to be the difference I want to see. Not only books, but from people, like you guys =]. and former teachers and professors which are also professional parents, as well.

I do not give into the social norms of Southern California. No entertainment, no excessive clothes, rarely any meat of any kind, never buy things I don't need, never waste things that doesn't need to be wasted, and I make sure this notion is understood by all those that come in contact with me by explicitly stating them. Unfortunately one is seen as crazy or extreme and are subject to many "-ist" and "-ism." But what more can I do?

OH and also for those that are here, are you guys and girls familiar with TED.com? and fora.tv? these are two of THE most educational, inspirational, mindboggling websites ever. I promote this to everyone. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you have not gone here try it. it is NOT a site where you have to READ. it is all videos, and if you are interested in knowledge AT ALL go here. Also if you are interested in Justice, justiceharvard.org is a godsend.

these three websites are, in my opinion, the KEY in the education of the future.

I would do community serve, and be a penpal too, but community service, I have done (volunteer work to be more accurate), but I feel as if at my age and time, studying is more of a priority. Sure puncturing with these virtuous acts is good, but I cannot dedicate to the level you guys are. shame on me?

Miss L Toad

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:14 pm
@jeff37,
Quote:

I'm thinking of switching brands to litecarbon from flickeringcandle but it may cost more in the long run.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:43 pm
@55hikky,
Quote:
OH and also for those that are here, are you guys and girls familiar with TED.com? and fora.tv? these are two of THE most educational, inspirational, mindboggling websites ever. I promote this to everyone. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you have not gone here try it. it is NOT a site where you have to READ. it is all videos, and if you are interested in knowledge AT ALL go here. Also if you are interested in Justice, justiceharvard.org is a godsend.

Thanks for the suggestions! Love TED as usual, but never heard about Fora. Might try bigthink.com -- now to be honest, I haven't explored it that much, but it sure looks promising.
55hikky

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:05 am
@spidergal,
I appreciate your contribution!!!
I have just visited and have read 2 articles on the main page (On “Hope”: Khodorkovsky’s Letter From Jail, Our Marijuana Fears) and I will say, this is great!!!!!

for those that have not been to thinkbig, that is a place, in my opinion, a "reading version of fora.tv"

TED focuses videos on innovation, inspiration, discoveries, so it's fun for all ages and ethnicity.
fora.tv is inspirational, and educational like TED, but does not harbor as vast of a spectrum of speakers; more political issues and contemporary issues can be seen in fora.tv, so i might say it is more aimed at businessmen..?
thinkbig is the paper version of fora.tv but have more variety of articles and some go more in depth in the analysis and understanding since it is not a speech.
HarvardJustice.com is just so amazing to listen to; it is the whole semester course of Justice at Harvard on youtube, such an eye opener.
laughoutlood

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:09 am
@55hikky,
are you done now
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:20 am
@jeff37,
it turns out, the best thing, and perhaps the only thing you can do, is to expose yourself to as much culture and panoptic, holistic knowledge, and then communicate with other people regarding these topics which relate to morality.
Emphasis on the talking part, and if possible, it would be, as I think, more beneficial, if the context is of the above.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 03:21 am
@jeff37,
jeff37 wrote:

Trying to beat some good sense in my fellow philosophers.
0 Replies