Highest/largest numbered address in USA?

tali

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:29 am
What is the highest/largest numbered address in USA?
Business and resedential

Ragman

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 05:08 pm
@tali,
Sorry but can you rephrase your question because in English it makes no sense. Out of curiosity, why are you asking this sort of question?

Are you asking what street address in which city has the greatest numbers - like greater than 10,000? I can think of no other way to tell such a thing other than looking up all the phone books of all major cities. But that task seems senseless, though.

I can think of an example of a very, very long street, in the City of Denver, CO , their main drag called Colfax Avenue. It's more than 26 miles long, and would be have to among a list of the longest streets in USA. This is a good start to look at the street numbers there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colfax_Avenue

However, if you broaden that query to including North America, you get an interesting result. In Canada Yonge St. (pronoucned Young) is 1178 miles long, making it the longest street in the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonge_Street
tali

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 03:37 pm
@Ragman,
I don't understand YOUR confusion over my question - it is NOT about the longest road((when did i even remotely ask that???) but more rather the highest numbered address
In UK it is 2679 Stratford Road, Hockley Heath, Solihull, West Midlands -therefore there is no address higher numbered than 2679 in UK - get it?
Now i have seen in USA (which is far larger than the UK ) address numbers of 11000 - so are there any larger than that?
What's the big deal with going thru directories when astrophyicists count in billions and trillions?
Why do i ask ??? - because it is fascinating and intresting question -which should enlighten your curiousity
And it is something called..... trivia.
Now pull yourself together and get cracking and kick some fascinating trivia research ass
Sorry but i had to be blunt- nothing personal

Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 08:47 pm
@tali,
Of course! It's intuitvely obvious. How silly of me. Thanks for so clearly explaining this fascinating question. Thank heavens our A2K community has such stimulating queries and gracious members.
tali

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:12 am
@Ragman,

Why am i wasting my time writing this and a brilliant question has been scandalously wasted -when you just don't get it?- no don't answer -it's more painless for me to get the White Flag out and surrender.
Good Day to you Sir
0 Replies

Barian

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:35 pm
I used Google maps and found a verifiable street number of 22638 close to the end of the largest block number that could be found on Figueroa St. in Los Angeles county. But then after a Google search I happened to come across a 24300 Figueroa St., a small residential street about 200 ft. long in Garden Grove, CA. So I think the idea of searching for the largest numbered address in the USA on the longest streets in the USA will not give the correct answer. Even though Colfax Ave. in CO might be longer than Figueroa St., I think it is safe to assume that Figueroa St. will have the largest street number in comparison since Los Angeles county is much more densely populated than the cities that Colfax Ave. runs through.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:27 pm
The U.S. has up to 5 digit house numbers - I've never seen a 6-digit one.
0 Replies

dasubergeek

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:16 am
@tali,
House numbers don't work the same way in most of the US as they do in Britain. In Britain (and in many places in the northeast of the US) they start at 1 and number until they run out of road.

In most of the rest of the US, it's more like a grid system, so your 24300 South Figueroa is 243 blocks south of the "dividing line", which in this case happens to be 1st St. in Los Angeles. I'm not sure there's ever been any research done into this, because houses are continually being built. Along US Highway 1 near its southern end in the Florida Keys, house numbers refer to the mileposts (it starts at 0 in Key West and increases as it heads toward the mainland). The highest house number I could reliably find was the Anchorage Resort in Key Largo, the closest inhabited key to the mainland, which is 107800 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037. That means it's almost 108 miles from Key West.

Where I used to live in Iowa, there were no physical addresses until 1999 or so; you would tell people you lived three mile roads east of the county line, or give the sort of directions that seem stereotypical (turn left at the rusted-out old tractor, turn right at the red barn with the 7-Up ad on it, etc.). Then, as Iowa implemented statewide 9-1-1, there had to be addresses, and so they implemented a per-county grid system, usually starting at the southwest corner (most counties in Iowa are more or less rectangular) and increasing as you head north and east. This meant that my house, which used to be Rural Route 3 Box 30A, was now 3210 170th Street, a gravel road more than five miles from a tarmac/sealed road.

In northern Utah, they take it to an extreme, where addresses sound like Battleship coordinates: 1131 South 1400 East, for example, is 14 blocks east and 11-and-change blocks south of Temple Square in Salt Lake City. (It gets confusing, because most people would call that street "14th East".)

In most cases, each town sets its own centre axes, so that in the city of Orange, California it's at Chapman Ave. and Glassell Street; in the neighbouring city of Anaheim the centre point is at Centre St. and Anaheim Boulevard, which means that if you are driving east on Katella Avenue, you go from the 2600 block of East Katella Avenue (in Anaheim) to the 1800 block of West Katella Avenue (in Orange) in one block.

It makes a lot of sense when you get used to it, particularly where it's been standardised across large areas. Hope this helps.
0 Replies

Leo4441559

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 01:15 pm
So, no one knows the answer to this question?
0 Replies

Maarrkk

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 01:40 pm
@Ragman,
Born and raised in the USA, and beg to differ. It makes perfense sense and the question is clear to me. What part of highes number do you not understand? Clue: 2 is higher than 1.
0 Replies

krisandr

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 11:26 am

http://able2know.org/topic/160467-1

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

HI! I live in Michigan.  There are house addresses in the 79,000s in a town called Armada, and somewhwew nearby, there is an address higher than 100,000.  It was the subject of a "local human interest" story published in The Macomb Daily newspaper, back in the late 1980s.  A coworker pointed it out to me on a trip, once, but I'm not sure exactly where it is, anymore.  At the time, it eas the highest street address in the contiguous USA. Hope this helps, even tho' I'm a few years late for the original questioner.  I found your site while searching for that 100,000 + house number, to point it out to a visiting relative, today.    Regards, Kris Anderson

0 Replies

Rufkut

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:46 am
@tali,
Actually as a UK trucker I sometimes swap trailers at Kuene & Nagle brewery depot , 3300 Dove Park , Foston , Derbyshire (can't remember post code) . Rufus
0 Replies

Pamster65

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 03:26 pm
@Barian,
My grandparents used to live at 58090 Juarez dr in yucca valley ca
0 Replies