How fast can a fly fly

ABYA

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:35 pm
If I'm driving at 70mph and a fly flies from the back of the car to the windscreen, does he have to power up to over 70mph to do it. or would the fly feel that he's just cruising at normal speed to get to the front.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 9,305 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:39 pm
He's in the car, so he's already traveling at 70mph relative to the ground. Assuming the windows are closed so he's not getting a breeze from the slipstream pushing past the car outside and pushing him (or her) backward, he'll just fly at his normal speed, I'd guess a couple miles an hour, forward--a couple miles an hour relative to the car, 72 or 73 miles an hour relative to the ground.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:43 pm
not mjuch online, but it's suggested houseflies fly around 5mph with bursts up to 15mph if they feel threatened, dragonflies fly around 18 to 36 mph.
0 Replies

ABYA

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 06:23 pm
@MontereyJack,
Hi MontereyJack
You must be right, but it seems strange to me that if I'm driving at 70mph a fly doesn't have to better that speed to move around. I've never tried this,but if I was at the front row of seats on a plane and jumped up, my way of thinking is that the back end of the plane would crash into me before I landed, I know this isn't so and I guess that I'd land on the same spot that I jumped from. This seems a strange law to grasp. especially after a few glasses of my homebrew wine.
Anyway, thanks for replying Jack.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 06:40 pm
How fast can a fly fly? Probably as fast as a woodchuck can chuck wood.
0 Replies