Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:29 pm
@Eorl,
Huh?

You're getting me wrong,

I think she got where she is because she's bloody good. I don't think she's any bloody goddam puppet.

I think it's a great victory.

Nonetheless I know my Labor Party realities, and I know my right machine.

They never stop machinating whoEVER is in power.
Eorl

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:01 pm
@dlowan,
ok cool.

so the "right machine" is very male?

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 05:21 am
I've deliberatly avoided the plethora of "Julia" articals in the print media. I'll judge her on performance rather than what i read.

The first 5 pages (every single artical) of the Age devoted to Julia or some angle related to her was overkill in my opinion. There have been Specials and lift outs as well.

Do reporters have nothing to fill their time?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:33 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

ok cool.

so the "right machine" is very male?

In my experience all the factions are still pretty male...I can find out about the NSW and Victorian factions if you like, as they are the power houses.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 05:47 pm
Very interesting development. I wonder what the ALP response will be. I have no doubt what Rudd's response would have been.

Quote:
Greens offer Gillard deal on carbon tax
1 hour 4 minutes ago

Greens Leader Bob Brown says he has written to Prime Minister Julia Gillard offering a solution to the impasse on the emissions trading scheme.

Senator Brown says if Labor is re-elected the Greens would help the Government pass a carbon tax through the Senate within three months of polling day.

Senator Brown says the Greens deal would hold off on setting targets for emissions cuts until there is a global agreement on climate change, but would place a $23 per tonne price on carbon.

Senator Brown says the plan is similar to the idea put forward by the Government's former top adviser on climate change, Professor Ross Garnaut. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/29/2939558.htm
msolga

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 05:58 pm
@msolga,
There have been a number of important statements by Julia Gillard so far ... amongst them, a changed position on population growth, the mining tax, Rudd's position in the cabinet should Labor win the election ....
There have also been some heartening poll responses (for the ALP) to the leadership change from Rudd to Gillard.
She has also announced her new cabinet team.
Any comments on these developments, anyone?
Eorl

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 06:13 pm
@msolga,
Conroy is still there. But since she went with a minimum disruption (early election?) theme, it doesn't mean much.
msolga

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 06:14 pm
And so she should, if she has her wits about her. She should take full advantage of this "honeymoon period" & strike while the iron is at its hottest. This won't last forever. The sooner, the better for the ALP. :

Quote:
Gillard 'hell-bent' on early election

Prime Minister Julia Gillard's push to clear the decks for an election by resolving the mining tax stand-off will start in earnest today when Treasurer Wayne Swan returns from the G20 summit in Canada.... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 06:22 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
Conroy is still there. But since she went with a minimum disruption (early election?) theme, it doesn't mean much.

Indeed, he's still there. (And so is Lindsay Tanner, though he plans to retire. Watch to see who his replacement will be!)

However, regarding Conroy, Gillard has said that under her leadership, policy decisions will be made by the cabinet (not just the leader, as had been Rudd's style.) The internet filter is extremely unpopular with the electorate. It would most likely be a winner with the electorate if the plans were quietly shelved. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were. We no longer have a "committed Christian" at the helm of the Labor Party.
dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 06:59 pm
@msolga,
Happy with sustainable population.

VERY happy if she can do a deal with the Greens re climate change.

She's striking me so far as both more left and more of a negotiator.

Yeehaw!!
Eorl

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:14 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

We no longer have a "committed Christian" at the helm of the Labor Party.

I just heard her say "I don't believe in gods" GASP! Shocked

and ... Shocked
dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:54 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

msolga wrote:

We no longer have a "committed Christian" at the helm of the Labor Party.

I just heard her say "I don't believe in gods" GASP! Shocked

and ... Shocked

Really?

Thank god!!!!!
Eorl

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:05 pm
@dlowan,
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/29/2939879.htm

But how can she have any morals?

It's going to be a deliciously ugly war!

At least we no longer have a choice between two hardcore Christians !!

HALLELUJAH !
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 01:40 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
and ... Shocked

Childless, too!

Shocking, truly shocking!!! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 02:12 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Happy with sustainable population.

So am I. It is high time we seriously considered the implications of such an incredible increase in population, in such a short period, in so few places (mainly a small number of eastern coast-line cities ... growing like Topsy) with little impact on the rest of the continent.

Here's a recent video from the ABC's 7:30 Report for those of you who don't live in Oz & aren't familiar with the recent issues related to population growth.

Quote:
Gillard discards 'big Australia'
Source: 7.30 Report
Published: Monday, June 28, 2010 8:16 AEST
Expires: Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:16 AEST

New prime minister Julia Gillard has signalled that she is moving away from Rudd's idea of a 'big Australia'. Matt Peacock looks at the issues surrounding the population debate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/06/28/2939288.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 02:23 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

VERY happy if she can do a deal with the Greens re climate change.

I'd be very relieved if the Labor Party finally TALKED with the Greens about climate change strategies & policies. About time! Rudd treated the Greens as the enemy, to be shut out at every opportunity. The fact is, the Greens have much to contribute to our responses to climate change. They are not the enemy on this issue at all. The Labor position on the ETS was seriously flawed. Plus, the Greens' support might well be critical in getting any future policy passed in the senate. I am waiting to see what Labor comes up with (hopefully minus the stalling).
dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:10 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/29/2939879.htm

But how can she have any morals?

It's going to be a deliciously ugly war!

At least we no longer have a choice between two hardcore Christians !!

HALLELUJAH !

Praise the Lord!!!
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:43 am
@msolga,
I agree but note that Green's support also dived considerably when JG got the nod. Why? Some say because she has instantly attracted such a large proportion of female voters who had gone over to the greens.

But - and I am actually a member of the Greens - I agree that Rudd erred in not talking to them or taking them seriously. However I don't know if under Bob Brown and the various state MPs if they really are going to become a force. They waste far too much energy on quixotic policies.

But I am super-impressed with Gillard. I think she is going to be around for a very long time, I am hoping she will be the best Labor PM since Hawke. I think she has it in her.
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:25 pm
@jeeprs,
Quote:
I agree but note that Green's support also dived considerably when JG got the nod. Why? Some say because she has instantly attracted such a large proportion of female voters who had gone over to the greens.

But - and I am actually a member of the Greens - I agree that Rudd erred in not talking to them or taking them seriously. However I don't know if under Bob Brown and the various state MPs if they really are going to become a force. They waste far too much energy on quixotic policies.

Yes, I've noticed that dive in Greens support in the recent polls, jeeprs.
Actually, I wondered how real (in terms of voting intentions) the swell in Greens support, as seen in Rudd's dismal last polls, actually was. I suspected it might have been more of a protest against Rudd's various policy back-flips, particular regarding the ETS. That was disastrous turn-off for the left of the party & disastrous for Rudd's credibility. So much for "the greatest moral challenge of our time"! Neutral

I, too, have voted Greens for quite a few elections now, at both state & federal levels. Though my heart has traditionally been with Labor. I've simply preferred the Greens policies on issues that are important to me. How influential the Greens will be in the senate after this coming election, we'll see. I'm hoping much more so. I'm also hoping to see the last of Family First. I like the idea of the Greens holding the balance of power (as opposed to the likes of FF. Rolling Eyes ) & I'm hoping Julia Gillard pays considerably more attention to them. That's where many defecting lefties from the ALP have gone, in sheer frustration, after-all. Interestingly, we may (in Victoria, where I live) have our first Greens house of reps parliamentarian after this election. In Lindsay Tanner's seat. It was always going to be close, but with Tanner's retirement I think the Greens have a real chance there.

Quote:
But I am super-impressed with Gillard. I think she is going to be around for a very long time, I am hoping she will be the best Labor PM since Hawke. I think she has it in her.

I have been pretty impressed by her performance since becoming leader, too. But the critical issues (for me, anyway) will be her positions on climate change, asylum seekers & the "mining tax". (more on that in my following post.) However, as a teacher, I & many others, have been severely disappointed by her as minister for education. The so-called "education revolution" has been a disaster for government schools. I'm hoping that Simon Crean (as the new education minister) will seek out advisers who actually have the interests of government schools at heart, for a change. Our schools are in a sorry state (funding & policy-wise) after years of poor representation from various governments, particularly Howard's Liberals. I think the Labor Party has relegated government schools into the "too hard" category, in response to powerful, self-interested "pro-choice" lobbyists.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:47 pm
What's this?
They made a deal with Rudd & now want to up the stakes with Gillard?
Oh please!
Who the hell do these mining companies thing they are?
They are acting as if they have the power & the right, even, to decide on the next government of this country. Based purely on their own financial interests.
I sincerely hope Gillard stands up to them & doesn't cave in to these demands & thinly veiled threats. I think she'll do her credibility serious damage if she does.
The main reason they were in such a position of power in "the mining tax debate" was that Rudd sold this tax reform so badly.
Let's see if Gillard can do better.
This could well be her first real test since becoming leader.:

Quote:
Miners call on PM to revisit 'deal'
June 30, 2010 12:00AM

MINERS are demanding Julia Gillard go beyond a deal on the RSPT that was reached with Kevin Rudd before he was removed as PM.

The industry wants a significant increase in the threshold at which the levy kicks in.

As cabinet yesterday considered a proposed deal to impose a lighter tax regime on the burgeoning coal-seam gas industry, Fortescue Metals Group chief Andrew Forrest said he had been in secret talks with Mr Rudd and Treasury officials on the release of an RSPT discussion paper until a day before Mr Rudd's removal.

He claimed the discussion paper, to have been circulated among the mining industry, would have included key changes to the RSPT, forecast to raise an extra $9 billion a year from the sector. These would have included lifting the threshold at which the tax kicks in from about 6 per cent to as much as 15 per cent, and abolishing the government guarantee over 40 per cent of a mining project's losses.

The changes would have reduced the impact of the tax on existing projects - a key mining industry condition of any deal with the new Prime Minister. ...<cont>

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politics/miners-call-on-pm-to-revisit-deal/story-e6frgczf-1225885927720