College Athletics

Elmud

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 06:51 pm
I was considering the fact that coaches at the college level, specifically football and basketball, get paid very high salaries as compared to the other teachers at major universities. I suppose the high salaries are necessary to attract the best coaches. Good coaches produce successful teams, and successful teams produce more income for the universities. What I am wondering, is do the other teachers feel slighted that they do not make near the amount of money that the coaches do? Personally, I prefer college athletics to professional. I find that the amateur athlete is more entertaining. But, this disparity in wages. I wonder if it is fair.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 965 • Replies: 3
No top replies

nameless

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 03:33 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;56883 wrote:
What I am wondering, is do the other teachers feel slighted that they do not make near the amount of money that the coaches do?

If they don't, they should!
Perhaps because they actually 'do' something for our society in the education that they provide?
Perhaps because they teach people how to think? Providing a basis for 'growth' not founded on steroids or cocaine?
Because their students will now be able to advance knowledge and technology?
Perhaps, now, to benefit the community (of the earth) in which we all live?
In that light, what value in the mere 'entertainers' (and their 'coaches') before which we idle and do (and think) nothing?
Our priorities seem to be a bit screwed up...
But thats easily seen, just look around!
Elmud

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 04:12 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
If they don't, they should!
Perhaps because they actually 'do' something for our society in the education that they provide?
Perhaps because they teach people how to think? Providing a basis for 'growth' not founded on steroids or cocaine?
Because their students will now be able to advance knowledge and technology?
Perhaps, now, to benefit the community (of the earth) in which we all live?
In that light, what value in the mere 'entertainers' (and their 'coaches') before which we idle and do (and think) nothing?
Our priorities seem to be a bit screwed up...
But thats easily seen, just look around!

Maybe they should take the gate receipts and all the money they make from advertising, and raise the salaries of the professors and teachers. In that sense, entertainment could be a positive thing.
nameless

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 01:45 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;57002 wrote:
Maybe they should take the gate receipts and all the money they make from advertising, and raise the salaries of the professors and teachers. In that sense, entertainment could be a positive thing.

Ahhh, clarity of thought...
Perhaps better wages will attract those with greater ability and talent?
They would remain, of course, obedient 'tools' of the power elite, and "in that sense", they are unworthy of superior salary (when 'conformist mediocrity' is a goal)!
0 Replies