The Bechdel Test for Women in Movies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 03:06 pm
Don't many movies focus on one or two characters? As such, would they pass this test?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 03:16 pm
@plainoldme,
I agree with your son. Olivia Benson is a great character and Hargitay has developed her into a strong and vulnerable character.
Definitely a good role model.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 03:41 pm
@boomerang,
But weren't the primary issues in all of those chick flicks related to the men interests in their lives?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:03 pm
On the TV front, women had a very very very good year.

It Was a Good Year for Women on TV
http://www.vulture.com/2013/12/women-on-tv-orange-is-new-black.html
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:14 pm
@boomerang,
"The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" is one of the ultimate if not THE ultimate Western of all time. I don't recall seeing a single woman in it...
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:38 pm
I wonder how many movies wouldn't pass the reverse Bechdel Test.

I suspect that you could find plenty of movies where anytime two men talk, they are talking about women. I bet When Harry met Sally fails both ways, but as a romantic comedy this shouldn't be surprising.

I don't know what that proves.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 11:19 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

"The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" is one of the ultimate if not THE ultimate Western of all time.

You and I are in a rare agreement on this particular Spaghetti western. Best western of all time. No chicks = no cooties. Surprised
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:48 am

Elsa From “Frozen” Reminds Disney Princesses That They Don’t Need A Man
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/frozen-reminds-disney-princesses-that-they-dont-need-a-man
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 12:31 pm

Surprising Films That Pass The Bechdel Test
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 12:46 pm
I liked Sigourney Weaver's 'Ripley'in the first Alien movie because she was a nice mix of femininity and toughness, but in the sequels she progressively lost her feminine side and became a shaven-headed hard-faced ratbag and i lost interest in her.
Later an alien inseminated her, rather it than me..Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 07:47 pm
The Bechdel Test is trending on Twitter for the most bizarre reason. People are bringing up that the very gay rom-com, Fire Island has failed the test.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 08:00 pm
@djjd62,
I was amazed when I looked at the beginning this discussion in 2010. Mariska Hargitay has gotten stronger and more powerful as the years went by. She has really grown as an actress and a person, while still maintaining her femininity. I really like how she has this close, collegial relationship with Rollins.
0 Replies