Moving to Netherlands?

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:51 am
I am thinking about moving to the Netherlands in a few years. Where is a good city to live in that isn't super expensive. I like to live in the outskirts of larger cities.
Or are there any other suggested countries to live in?
I only speak English and live in the US but I am very interested in learning new languages and experiencing other countries.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 8,980 • Replies: 10
No top replies

saab

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:33 pm
@sqishlove,
I have friends who moved to Amsterdam.
It is a very expensive city to live in.
It is difficult to get a cheap apartment - you have to live there for a long time to be able to get a cheap one. Very expensive ones are of course available.
Do you want to work there or retire to Netherlands?
As an American you have to have a working permit.
If you donĀ“t want to work you might have to have a permit to move to Netherlands anyway.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
I looked into this about a decade or so ago. I doubt things have changed much. Yes, you need a working visa and a job or a lot of your own money to support yourself. It is difficult to find work as a non-citizen, so you might want to consider what kind of business you can start. Many people speak English, but on a daily basis it is best to have at least some Dutch - certainly makes driving easier when you can read the signs.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:44 pm
I have also considered moving to Amsterdam. I was offered a job hosting a radio show and sometime in the future I may go for it. It's a great place.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 07:30 pm
You can't as an American move to the Netherlands. They've put up a big fence to keep Americans out.
Daaaaanielle

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 06:14 am
If you are going to move to Holland you should go to Nijmegen, Eindhoven, Breda, Tilburg or Maastricht.

Amsterdam is beautifull but the people are not so friendly. In the South of Holland everybody is more laidback.

I`m from Holland so I know. And it's easy for foreigners that almost everybody speak English and German too.
saab

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 06:34 am
Even if people do speak English or German it is not the language for daily use.
It is fine to speak English in a foreign country as long as it is for asking questions or being with a few people for a few hours.
If you move to a country and wants to intergrade then one has to learn to speak the language. It is impolite to expect others to speak your language all the time when you live in their country.
0 Replies

ubajaraboy

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 07:03 pm
@JTT,
not true. there is a treaty between the netherlands and the usa that dates back to the post world war marshall plan that allows americans to set up a simple business ( health and beauty, consultant. etc)/open a business account and deposit euro 3500. then with the documents you apply for a 1 year visa that you can extend annually.
0 Replies

jkdates

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 08:09 pm
@JTT,
No. You must have at least basic Dutch at your command.
There are special "friendship" class visas for Americans who
wish to reside in the Dutch Kingdom
Beware, the Netherlands is a country of rules/laws, which
impact both personal and private life.
If you speak or can understand Dutch, go to the NPO on (Nederlands Publiek Omroep)line and watch Dutch TV.
Remember the ubiquitous Dutch maxin, "dat ka' niet" when maneuvering the
system.
Nou, jongertje,.... geen Amerikans hier!!
Doei!!
0 Replies

jkdates

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 08:21 pm
@sqishlove,
If you are indeed intent on moving to the Netherlands, and wish to quickly assimilate, I would suggest the cities of Roosendal, Breda, Tilburg, or Eindhoven. All are in the province of Noord Braband. In the Netherlands there are three stede (cities)Amsterdam, 'sGraven Haag, and Rotterdam. The balance; no matter the population are dorpjes (villages) In a small village, say Dongen, RaamsDonksve'er, or s'GravenMoer, you may find your self a zoo exhibit. You will how ever quickly learn the local dialect, say, dongse, the provincial dialect; in this case Brabants, as well as standard Dutch. If successful, your speech will mark you for every Dutchman!!
0 Replies

jkdates

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 08:28 pm
@Daaaaanielle,
Ja, en nou zing Leven is goet in ons Brabantse land.
Oje, je verheet Wouws Plantage, Dongen en den Horst.
0 Replies