Fritos corn chips are yummy

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:40 pm
I have tried many brands of corn chips during my lifetime, and as much as I love to save money, I still spring for Genuine Fritos.

Just today at lunch I was enjoying my home made turkey chili with Fritos and read the ingredients statement. I was stunned.

"Whole corn, corn oil, and salt. No preservatives."

OK. So if that's really all there is in corn chips, why do other companies suck so bad at making them?

It also begs the question whether I could make these chips at home? I mean, they cost about $3.00 for 9.25 ounces, and as any Fritos lover knows, that's only like three servings!

Tom
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 6,165 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:43 pm
@GeneralTsao,
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/appetizer/homemade-corn-chips-recipe.html
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:52 pm
@GeneralTsao,
I know what you mean - I only like real Fritos and I only like real Ruffles (when I'm in the mood for a substantial thick potato chip) and real Lays (when I'm in the mood for a light, crisp potato chip). I don't like Wise at all - and never mind even trying the store brand.
The cheaper brands are just a waste of money.
And I can also only eat real General Mills Cheerios (my all time favorite cereal- ever since I can remember eating cereal right up to today).
I don't think I could live without Cheerios.

I think the other companies might use cheaper ingredients or just not get the exact ratio of ingredients or something. With these crispy things, I always notice the texture's different - either oilier or soggier.

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:55 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I know what you mean - I only like real Fritos and I only like real Ruffles (when I'm in the mood for a substantial thick potato chip) and real Lays (when I'm in the mood for a light, crisp potato chip).

exactly
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 02:14 pm
I make my own potato chips often...but I've never tried to make corn chips. Gonna try the recipe Butrfly (goddam name is so tough to remember) this week. Love corn chips!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:15 pm
We have a local, inexpensive "generic" brand of corn chips which is quite good. But i agree that no brand matches the quality of Fritos. (I feel the same way about Cheetos.)
mismi

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:16 pm
@Setanta,
I had Golden Flake Corn Chips...which were at least a dollar cheaper than Fritos...my 9 year olds and my 5 year old asked me what was wrong with the corn chips. There is definitely a difference.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:24 pm
@mismi,
I hate it when you buy corn chips or potato chips and you can taste low quality shortening or oil which was used to cook them.
mismi

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
EXACTLY - rancid almost. That's bad.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:08 pm
Oh my god I f---ing love Fritos. I get at least a few of those little bags out of the vending machine every week at work. And they run out quick too. There should be at least two spaces stocked with Fritos in the vending machine at all times, I say! Same goes for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
aidan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:15 am
@kickycan,
That actually sounds like a good combination - eat a frito - take a bite of peanut butter cup. The sweet/salty combo is awesome-and the peanut butter definitely adds something.
One of my favorite junky snacks combos is these little round cheese flavored salty crackers they have here called Cheddars and peanut m &m's.
I take a cracker, put a peanut m&m on and eat.
Also good at the movies - buy popcorn and plain m&m's and sprinkle your m&m's in your popcorn- it's awesome.
squinney

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:47 am
Just stopping by to wave to the General.

(WAVING)

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:32 am
@squinney,
Wow, how nice, Squinney! Thank you!

I've been gone a long time I think. The way this site works is all different and my avatar done growed up so I don't even recognize it anymore .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:56 am
@GeneralTsao,
Trying to remember when I last ate fritos.. a long time ago.

at this point, I think of them as death in a packet. Alas, I still crave Ruffles. Oh, and Kettle Chips (whatever, not sure of name) salt and pepper chips. I can't buy them. Sanity flees. I skip that whole aisle.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 09:04 pm
@GeneralTsao,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 09:26 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

That actually sounds like a good combination - eat a frito - take a bite of peanut butter cup. The sweet/salty combo is awesome-and the peanut butter definitely adds something.

not exactly the same but surprisingly good (even so, can only eat 4 or 5)

http://images-gmi-pmc.edge-generalmills.com/5ba7607e-0d4d-40e7-a490-a2745cc9b761.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 09:27 pm
a friend had this at her wedding - best part of the sweet table

https://www.londondrugs.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-londondrugs-master/default/dwc8aacf29/products/L6608145/large/L6608145.JPG

maybe best part of the wedding Cool
0 Replies