Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:40 pm
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1410472,00.jpg
Porsche's new museum in Stuttgart opens to the public on Jan. 31. The spectacular building is the work of the Vienna-based architecture firm Delugan Meissl.
(there are twelve photos with the article)

article link - New Porche Museum Celebrates the Need for Speed

clip -
60 YEARS OF HOT CARS
New Porsche Museum Celebrates the Need for Speed

By Jürgen Pander
Porsche's new museum in Stuttgart is a spectacular piece of architecture featuring equally spectacular cars. Auto fans can worship at the temple of speed as of Jan. 31.

When Porsche was celebrating its 60th anniversary last year, the company struggled to find a suitable location for the party. Although Porsche, which is based in the Stuttgart suburb of Zuffenhausen, has been building highly sought-after cars for decades, it didn't have a space where its success story could be properly told: Unlike Audi, Mercedes or BMW, Porsche did not have its own showcase company museum.

Now that has changed, with the spectacular new building due to open to the public on Jan. 31. In actual fact, the museum was supposed to have been finished in time for last year's party. But when the architectural competition for the new museum building was held five years previously, the company's management chose -- of course -- the most spectacular design, the work of the Vienna-based architecture firm Delugan Meissl. The construction was originally supposed to cost €50 million ($65 million). In the end, the museum cost twice that, with the work taking a lot longer than expected. "In professional circles, the design was initially regarded as unbuildable," says museum director Achim Stejskal. "But now it is finished and simply sensational."

The structure is 140 meters (460 feet) long and 70 meters (230 feet) wide, but the really daring thing about the building is the angular body of the museum, which stands on just three pillars. These three "legs," which support a massive 35,000 metric tons of weight, house the building's freight elevators and escalators for visitors. The main body of the building, which almost looks as if it is free-floating, contains 5,600 square meters (60,300 square feet) of exhibition space. As well as the cars on display, the building is home to the gourmet restaurant "Christopherus," spacious meeting rooms and a rooftop terrace.
/end of clip (much more to the article)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,729 • Replies: 18
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:45 pm
.....oh...dear.....god
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:50 pm
@maporsche,
Did you look at the photos yet? Oh, my..

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, damn, I spelled it wrong in the title.
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:56 pm
Looks like they need a front porche.

Wheres the keyboard? This would look better in downtown denver next to that cash register building
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:04 pm
cars and big class walls, reminds me of the Ferrari scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"At the end of the day, Ferris and his friends retrieve the Ferrari, but discover on the way back that hundreds of miles have been added to the odometer, sending Cameron into a panic attack fearing his father's reaction. After calming Cameron down, Ferris comes up with a plan to run the car in reverse while running in place at Cameron's father's hillside garage, hoping to reverse the odometer. When they realize this is not working, Cameron unleashes his pent-up anger against his father,kicking and damaging the front of the Ferrari, but comes to realize that he is long due to stand up to his abusive father and vows to admit what happens. Cameron calms down and rests himself against the car, but his previous actions have unbalanced from the blocks it was on, and the car hits the ground, races in reverse, and crashes through the glass back wall of the garage and rolls down a ravine.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:04 pm
@farmerman,
our second "porsche" - after all the VW was the original design by dr. porsche .
both served us well - the first one from 1961 to 1970 , the second from 1970 to 1979 .
never needed any major repairs - the bodies eventually just gave out to canadian winters and roadsalt .
Crying or Very sad hbg

ehbeth was the master-photographer ...

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7536/beetlegd5.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, damn, I spelled it wrong in the title.

dys will have your head for that..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:20 pm
PORSCHE
roger

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:45 pm
@dyslexia,
"Okay", the kid said, "I've got your porche out back painted green, so give me the $50.00. And by the way, that ain't no Porche. It's a Farrari."
dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:47 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

"Okay", the kid said, "I've got your porche out back painted green, so give me the $50.00. And by the way, that ain't no Porche. It's a Farrari."
Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 07:06 pm
@dyslexia,
First I spell the car wrong and now the article "nicht gefunden"!
The article is about a week old, maybe that's the reason (but it opened for me when I previewed it, huh).

I"ll try once more..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 07:09 pm
@ossobuco,
OK, this works, at least temporarily..
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,602833,00.html

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
And if THAT doesn't work, just google 'New Porsche Museum Celebrates the Need for Speed' ----- it's worth it, the photos are terrific.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 07:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Stephen Bayley of the Observer on the history of Porsche..

and another view of the building -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/jan/18/prsche-museum-stuttgart-zuffenhausen
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Portia, poor she, poor Porsche porche, less haste more speed

architectural digest
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:04 am
I'd started a thread about the new Porsche Museum already some weeks ago ... but it's good to get some more links.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It occurred to me that you might have, Walter - you tend to do that! But I failed to do a search - sorry, I should have.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:00 am
@ossobuco,
No problem, osso!
0 Replies