Sand/rocks in bathtub?

chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:16 am
BBB's thread about what do we want in our home that we don't already have made me think.

In the winter especially I'd love to take a nice hot soak. However, I always feel guilty wasting that much water.

I was thinking of filling zip lock bags with clean sand (double bagging them to make sure there's no leaks), and placing them in the tub before adding water.

That way I'd
(a) use less water
(b) wouldn't the sand heat up and keep the water hot longer? and
(c) it would give cushioning for whatever part of your body you wanted.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 16,409 • Replies: 89
Topic Closed
No top replies

farmerman

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:00 pm
@chai2,
I think that you must have one hell of a calm and patient husband Lucy.
chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:06 pm
@farmerman,
why?

Lucy?

You can buy 50 lbs of clean play sand at lowes for just a few bucks. I seal them in zip locks and place them in the tub, take them out and put on the side when I'm done.

I think that's quite innovative.

If the sand doesn't get wet or leak out, and it cushions the tush, what would be the potential hazards?
chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@chai2,
oh wait, I guess there would be danger of giant sand worms.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2064/2243895912_6fd3d17d5f.jpg?v=0
chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:14 pm
@chai2,
cyclo thinks my idea is ******* awesome.
DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:31 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

cyclo thinks my idea is ******* awesome.

Are you sure you read his response right?
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:31 pm
@chai2,
I think the sand would be harder than you think to sit on. Think of a beach. It's hard! And you'd get water all over the floor when you took them out... and it would be a PITA to do that - in, out, in, out. Just my thoughts. Don't know if it would keep the water hotter, but I do think you'd use less, but is that a real concern in your area?
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
@chai2,
Maybe Lucy from I Love Lucy with her whacky ideas Smile
DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
@chai2,
1. The sand would start cold, so it would end up absorbing the heat, not keeping the tub warm.
2. Packed sand is not soft. It's hard.
Frank Apisa

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:42 pm
@chai2,
As a couple of people have already noted...the sand in the bags would be very hard.

You'd probably do just as well by using a couple of cinder blocks.

Some foam padding would do the "protecting the rear end" and would not absorb heat...but it would not help much with the keeping water usage down.

But it feels great. I've done it.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:53 pm
@DrewDad,
Then I shall take rocks and microwave them, wrap them in a dish towel and put them in the tub. They can go at one end and I'll keep my feet off them if they are too hot. I could warm the sand in a small amount of hot water and then it would expel the heat off of it instead of absoribg it.

naw mame, I didn't mean that many of them, they can just be along the sides or something. I'd just let the zip lock bags dry off by themselves.

Or, I could put insulation in a zip lock (double zip locked, be prepared is my motto), with a rock or 2 at the bottom. the insulation would take up space and displace water AND keep the water warm.

I could make an insulated blanket that's plastic lined and put that in the bottom of the tub.

jeez, at least I'm thinking. I can't believe there's not a product out there for this.

yes, water waste is an issue where I live.
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:03 pm
@chai2,
There's the old ugly big plastic bottle trick, maybe old gallon vinegar bottles. Since they're ugly, they could be hidden with a nice towel..
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:06 pm
@chai2,
I used to have a plastic blow up pillow (oh, wait...) in the shape of a shell that you could use to lean against the back of a cold porcelain tub. One could expand on that, maybe almost fill plastic pillows with warm water..
chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:11 pm
@ossobuco,
THAT'S IT!!!

I'll fill plastic pillows with warm water, so I don't have to put so much warm water in the tub. Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

There's the old ugly big plastic bottle trick, maybe old gallon vinegar bottles. Since they're ugly, they could be hidden with a nice towel..

If I was worried about something ugly in the bathtub, I'd bathe with my clothes on.
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
@chai2,
Ok, ok, dumb - but you'd only do the pillow filling once (then there'd be the pillow storage problem) - and the water temp in the pillows should equilibrate with that in the tub soon enough.
0 Replies

squinney

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:45 pm
I thought about this a few weeks ago and got so excited about it I couldn't even continue to try to relax and enjoy my warm soak.(Gawd, my tailbone!)

I jumped out of the tub and ran to the computer... DRATS!

Someone already thought of it...

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10392586/Soft_Bathtub_Cushion_Safety_.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:48 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I could warm the sand in a small amount of hot water and then it would expel the heat off of it instead of absoribg it.

How does that save water, then? You're running hot water to heat up sand so that you don't have to run more hot water....

Now, the heating the sand in other methods has possibilities, but the logistics of moving all of this hot sand/hot rocks around has me puzzled.

Wouldn't you be better off just getting a hot tub/jacuzzi that heats the water in place?
DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
@DrewDad,
This is what I get for Googling "bathtub water heater":

Quote:
Fart in the Tub.

It will warm the water and you'll get a jacuzzi.

Here's a suggestion:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00007322A.01-A2Q0ARZLO9COOL._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V34936301_.jpg
chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:57 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

chai2 wrote:
I could warm the sand in a small amount of hot water and then it would expel the heat off of it instead of absoribg it.

How does that save water, then? You're running hot water to heat up sand so that you don't have to run more hot water....

Now, the heating the sand in other methods has possibilities, but the logistics of moving all of this hot sand/hot rocks around has me puzzled.

Wouldn't you be better off just getting a hot tub/jacuzzi that heats the water in place?

I said small amount of water.

Anyway, it seems that the best insulating material is wool or felt scraps.

I could fill watertight bottles (I've got plenty of those) with the above, with just enough heavy material in the bottom to make it sink. The wool and felt will keep the water hot for about an hour, and the bottle would displace a lot of water.

Now, what heavy material can I use?

hot tubs and jacuzzi's are expensive, and I don't have the area available for either. Plus, they take a lot of water to fill. Plus, a hot bath is nice, but it's not something I do every day. I don't stay in the tub for an hour, nowhere near that.

I'm musing about ways to save water, and keep nice and warm lying still in a relaxing bath with my eyes closed for 20 minuetes or 1/2 hr. Who care what it looks like, it's not like there's a lot of traffic going through my bathroom when I'm taking a bath.