Sand/rocks in bathtub?

ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
One more post and then I'll shut up.

The woman with the ofuro had been previously married to an architect and had apparently paid attention. She designed her house in a primo spot, one of the best houses in best places I've ever seen and I've seen a lot.

(I also liked her purse, but never mind).

So what, just a salute.

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:18 pm
Is this what you're talking about osso?
http://www.bathpro.net/images/ewafuuyokusou.jpg

The cover keeps the heat in. I want one.
http://www.sanisystem.com/images/furoba.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Won't work when it's wet, like in the tub.
patiodog

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:21 pm
Hmmmm.

When I take a bath, it's for a long damn time, and I pretty much don't get out until the water gets too cool to be pleasant. Less water means less heat, which would mean a shorter bath for me.

Now, if you take a short bath, that might not be an issue for you...

Oh, but that cover showed up while I was getting to the end of the thread. That'd help.
shewolfnm

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
@patiodog,
if I am in a small tub and I cant cover myself in water, I bring in a towel.

I dip the towel in the water, its nice and warm, and I lay it over my body.
patiodog

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:24 pm
@shewolfnm,
Not thinking about being covered with water, thinking about the time it takes for the water to cool -- which will be shorter if there's less water.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:24 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I actually had to demonstrate to Wally by pretending to be a 21 year old cat how once I stepped in the box, I was gonna squat and drop, no matter if my ass was hanging over the edge.

Thanks for the visual.

Uh, you could get a mess of those packages of Blue Ice, and nuke them, first. I haven't checked to see if the float, but they would be soft, stay warm, and provide company in the tub even if they do float.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:30 pm
@roger,

Roger..
What won't?

Tai, have to consider that. The one I saw (one of my friends of friends married a corporate honcho, met on a blind date, but he got the best deal and far as I know they're still together approaching 40 years later. I saw only their early house, barely remember, but I guess I zoned in on the square tub. Whatever the particulars, I remember her as very science oriented, super smart. Not only that, but that in particular to design.

Want to add this so I can review -
Tai Chi

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:37 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Roger..
What won't?

That confused me too osso until I read back a ways. I think Roger figures you couldn't set your hair on fire if it was wet from the tub. (I'll bet you could though -- I know I could...)
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:48 pm
@Tai Chi,
I'm here as an a2ker whose hair has been afire.

So, what was it, 1967? Boyfriend gave me a silver lighter, one I thought was beautiful. Good guess on his part.
Next day at work, I was in the head of lab's secretary's office, and lit up, as a lot of us used to then. An eighteen inch flame, maybe I'm exaggerating, caught my hair on fire, no kidding, and Jimmy Armstrong, who was standing next to me flirting as usual, put the fire out. I still care about Jimmy and hope he is still out there flirting.

But my post was also about me being clumsy. I'm flame wary.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:49 pm
They're being marketed as walk-in bathtubs for seniors these days. The door has a water-tight seal.

http://www.elletthomes.com/images/accessible_walk_in_bathtub[1].jpg

http://www.remainactive.com/images/pic_tub-1_lg.jpg
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
conceptually close, even very close, but not what I'm talking about, at all.
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Somewhere in my old photos. Ah well.

I spent a lot of time about five years ago re ofuros, am less inclined for those hours now, but I'll see what I can pick up.. or maybe the internet has accumulated more of what I'm talking about.
roger

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
@Tai Chi,
That's what I meant, alright.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
That's okay, I'm sure it isn't at all what Chai is talking about either.

It is the infamous meandering A2K thread.
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Right, it isn't what chai was talking about. But I'm off chasing a goose. Back later.

I have to add that ofuros seem to have proliferated since I last paid attention. Rolls eyes.

Well, if i ever work out my photos I'll have a good one. Don't hold breaths.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.furniturestoreblog.com/2008/06/06/handmade_japanese_ofuros_deep_soaking_tubs.html

ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ok, good link, or seemingly good link, what do I know. But that's the much the idea.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 31 Jan, 2009 08:19 am
morning all.

I didn't mean to lay ON the sand or rock, or anything else, just place them where I am not. Like down by my feet, under knees to elevate them a little, etc.

I don't find laying in the tub uncomfortable.

pdog, how long do your baths last?

The problem with those walk in baths are that you have to be in them while they are filling and draining.
Mame

Sat 31 Jan, 2009 09:49 am
@chai2,
Okay, two ideas that might keep your water a bit hotter longer.

1. Use hot water in hot water bottles instead of sand bags.

2. Get some of that pipe insulation and make a tub cover and throw it over the tub before and after you get in. If you have a sun lamp and want a tan, even better, because that silver insulation stuff will help you tan faster.