Sand/rocks in bathtub?

chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:59 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

This is what I get for Googling "bathtub water heater":

[Here's a suggestion:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00007322A.01-A2Q0ARZLO9COOL._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V34936301_.jpg

um....I don't know what that is or if you mean that as a joke.

I'm not going to put something electrical in the tub.

Why go out and buy something when one can think of an at home project.

0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 02:00 pm
just put a toaster in the tub and let it heat the water.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 02:05 pm
@chai2,
Go to Home Depot and get some of the Great Stuff insulating spray foam.

Spray in and shape your bathtub.

Done.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 02:40 pm
You know, if someone advertised a device to do this, you'd think it was a great idea.

I'm trying to be eco-friendly and use common sense.

just because you two don't take baths....
DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 02:43 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

No, it's because we have experience with DIY stuff.
chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:42 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

chai2 wrote:

No, it's because we have experience with DIY stuff.

Well, if you have so much experience, why are you giving me dumb suggestions about putting foam in my tub, or going out and buying a hot tub?

Like I said before, at least I'm trying. You told me sand wouldn't work, and I'm trying to come up with other materials and alternatives.

I think you think my ideas are foolish because you just never considered it yourself. But you have no desire to be any help.

Online I saw a tub that is a lot smaller, has a heating device behind the users back, and uses less water.

I can't see why one can't think of a way to adapt that to what they already have.

When I go to bed at night, I love to have lots of pillows around me. I sleep on my side. One under my neck, one against my back, one in front and if I feel like it, a forth one over my head or under my feet. I like the feeling of being cradeled and supported, and it definately is very warm.

I'm trying to think of material that could be placed on either side of a person in the tub where they can rest their arms on top of whatever it is, and also elevate their feet a little if they want to. As a by product of that, less water would be needed in the tub, as so much space would be displaced. It could be left to dry in the tub, and removed if you want to take a shower, which is what I do 95% of the time. Baths are just for relaxation.

I don't find that a ridiculous idea at all, and if someone invented something like that, people would by it.

So, Mr. DIY if you're just going to shoot down ideas I have, without replacing them with sensible alternatives, bug off.
mismi

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
If I was worried about something ugly in the bathtub, I'd bathe with my clothes on.

Oh my gosh - I just sprayed the computer with water. Chai - your killin' me!
0 Replies

NickFun

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:48 pm
Out here in Ojai, CA we have natural sulphur hot springs. I make it a point to get out there at least a couple of times per week. Ah!
chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:00 pm
@NickFun,
THAT sounds great.

We have a natural spring here, right at the bottom of my road. Barton Springs.

But, it's something like 68 degrees all year round.

http://5minuteswithmolly.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/p6020280.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:05 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
No, it's because we have experience with DIY stuff

Most of which is some "Big Idea" conjoured up by the distaff side. Like the time Mrs F had this great idea about putting in sockets under the deep windowsills so she could have window candles and **** like that without having these unsightly wires dangling around. AFter starting the job and realizing I technically ,wasnt a stone mason I hired some contractor to do the job right. Several thousand dollars later we had these fuckin socket strips installed.
Tell me about rocks and sand in a drain.
"Honey, can you call the plummer , the drains are all plugged up ."
ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:07 pm
@NickFun,
Ah.... Ojai....
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:08 pm
@farmerman,
windo candles and ****.

sounds lovely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:09 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

When I go to bed at night, I love to have lots of pillows around me. I sleep on my side. One under my neck, one against my back, one in front and if I feel like it, a forth one over my head or under my feet. I like the feeling of being cradeled and supported, and it definately is very warm.

So, "permanent" water pillows are a no, eh?
DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:12 pm
What's wrong with foam? It's the same thing you're suggesting, except it's insulated and so won't absorb the heat. If you don't want to use it directly on your tub, just spray it into a form (around any ballast you want).

Sheesh.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Most of which is some "Big Idea" conjoured up by the distaff side.

Well, there was that time I decided to pull Ethernet cable for all of our computers....
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
I tend to get ideas that I can envision in very simple terms, and it seems the male of the species loves nothing better than to turn it into a project.

A few years back, when Dr. Lulu Abramowitz was still with us, she was having a hard time jumping into the jumbo litter box (she was 21). She decided taking a dump or making a wee wee next to it was just as good.

I asked Wally to make a little ramp that she could walk up, and then step down into the box. I said to not make it where the ramp came right up to the lip of the box, but instead a few inches higher, so she'd have to step down and move a few inches in to do her bidness.

I came home and found this ramp that would have supported an elephant trying to cross over the grand canyon.

It was built right up to the lip, and exactly what I expected was sitting right there in the middle of the ramp, about 2 inches down the incline. A nice big turd.

Long story short (too late) it took Wally no less than 3 more attempts to get the ramp the way I saw it originally in my minds eye. A little piece of plywood angled up so an 8 pound cat could walk up, step in the box, realize "Hey, my ass is hitting this piece of wood, I better take a step forward" so the poo and pee would end up in the box.

I actually had to demonstrate to Wally by pretending to be a 21 year old cat how once I stepped in the box, I was gonna squat and drop, no matter if my ass was hanging over the edge.

Oh, the first time, when I said the ramp had to end higher, Wally said "well to do that and maintain the angle, the ramp will have to be about 3 more feet long"

NO IT ISN'T!!!! Lulu could walk up a steeper piece of wood, she just couldn't step over stuff.

I'm just going to throw empty 2 liter coke bottles filled with molten lead into the tub.

It'll work just fine.
parados

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Not really.

Basically, you want something that will displace water where you won't be. I don't know off the top of my head what the best idea is but you need something that will not float and will stay out of your way. Preferably something thin you can attach to the tub sides. Sand or rocks in a plastic bottle might be better than plastic bags. Get a bunch of 2 liter bottles, fill them with just enough sand so they don't float, duct tape them together in a long line then attach them to the side of the tub. Of course, most tubs are about the width necessary for a person to fit in it.

shewolfnm

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:31 pm
Um.

Helloo...

comfy? soft? Helps to NOT fill the tub completely?

Swimming mattresses

http://yhst-8743696515742.stores.yahoo.net/coflma.html

Just like you would use in a pool.
Since the water is not that deep, place the mattress in the bottom of the tub before filling it so that the pressure of the air helps to push it against the sides and stays in place.
Or, use double sided tape on the bottom. Velcro tape would be best.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:34 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I tend to get ideas that I can envision in very simple terms...

I can believe that.
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:35 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

There's the old ugly big plastic bottle trick, maybe old gallon vinegar bottles. Since they're ugly, they could be hidden with a nice towel..

If I was worried about something ugly in the bathtub, I'd bathe with my clothes on.

ha ha ha!

Man, you're going to a lot of work just to have a bath. Why not just fill it up 1/3 or 1/2 way and have a quickie?

0 Replies