From lawyer to teacher?

ElMorro

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:56 pm
Ok, here's the deal...

After graduating college, I worked in a few different fields (mainly education) and ultimately decided to try my hand at law school. I graduated roughly middle of my class at an average law school (but I was very involved and was president of a good organization, but not moot court), passed the bar and have spent the last two years in private practice in New York.

I was unimpressed. I earn good money, but it seemed that the attorneys I worked with all "sold out" for the almighty dollar (surprise), there was a disturbing lack of integrity, and I was generally disgusted with what I saw and experienced. I feel more like a mercenary than anything else. I'm not contributing to society or truly helping anyone, just getting the most I can for their damages.

Here's my issue. I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed myself more than when I was a school teacher (I took the LAST years ago, but I don't know if my certification is still valid). While I didn't get paid much, I loved teaching, I loved my students, I was good at it, my students loved me, and it was tremendously rewarding (I was an 8th grade EFL 'English as a Foreign Language' teacher). Right now, I'm considering going back to education, but I've put myself in a difficult situation.

First- I'm up to my neck in debt. SERIOUS debt. With my law school loans, I don't know if I could go back to an educator's salary if I wanted to. It's nearly half my rent on a monthly basis.

Second- I'm not sure how I would be able to parlay my experience back into education. I would love to teach a pre-law class on the collegiate level, but I'm sure there are many people who are trying to do the same, and how am I to compete with people who went to college for a career in education? Sure, Law school is very difficult, and I was able to do it, but what's the best way to use my Juris Doctorate to get back into the field?

If anyone here has a J.D. and moved laterally to education, I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have. As it is, I see myself just going from job to job in law, capable yet completely unsatisfied in what I do, and I can't live like that. I want to be happy again... and so far, the only thing that made me happy was being a teacher.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,244 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:43 pm
@ElMorro,
Good luck to you. Lots of lawyers have changed professions for various reasons. Including regular posters at this site, in fact.

I can't help you with your central question, but I wonder if you've considered a different area of law to practice? You may find a change of focus within the profession to be more rewarding that what you have been doing. If you've been a litigator, maybe switch to a transactional practice?

Or do both ... continue practicing law, and start teaching part-time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 05:18 am
Teach paralegals. It's what I did when I first got out of practicing. I did it at night so I bet you could be a schoolteacher during the day. A lot of work, yes, but you've got a lot of debt.

Another strategy could be -- and I know you might not like this, but at least it's got a deadline -- is to set a goal time period for yourself of wanting to practice for, say, 2 more years and then get out. And, save your pennies. Bring your lunch. Take the subway or bus if you can. Don't buy too many clothes. Don't go on fancy vacations. Keep your car. The idea would be to live on austerity for a little while and set aside as high a % of your dollars as you can, and toss them into whatever gives you the highest short-term yield possible. You're going to have to learn to live on less once you're back to teaching full-time, anyway, so you might as well get started now.

Might also help to keep what you're doing and ride out the recession. I can't say exactly when it will end but 2 years should be safe and it's not like you'd be unemployed.

Another idea is some industrial-style teaching, but it may be difficult to get into that. E. g. you lecture to workers on whatever. People send their employees to all sorts of classes, like how to communicate more effectively, or how to conduct short, productive meetings. You may be able to get into that niche.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:43 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Another strategy could be -- and I know you might not like this, but at least it's got a deadline -- is to set a goal time period for yourself of wanting to practice for, say, 2 more years and then get out. And, save your pennies. Bring your lunch. Take the subway or bus if you can. Don't buy too many clothes. Don't go on fancy vacations. Keep your car. The idea would be to live on austerity for a little while and set aside as high a % of your dollars as you can, and toss them into whatever gives you the highest short-term yield possible. You're going to have to learn to live on less once you're back to teaching full-time, anyway, so you might as well get started now.

That, and the fact that the law school loans need to be paid off.

ElMorro: are you set on teaching K-12? You can probably get a job, but, as you've observed, the pay may not be very good. Have you looked at private schools? The pay, not to mention the conditions, might be better than at public schools.

Your background in the law should be an attractive asset, especially to high schools that may have mock trial programs. One thing you might want to do now is volunteer to help coach at a local high school. In addition to mock trial teams, you could help them with speech/forensic teams or similar extracurricular activities. That will give you something to put on a resume should you decide to return to teaching and show prospective employers that your skills as a lawyer can translate to the educational field.
0 Replies