rimoto

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
My water pressure has reduced to a trickle and the resin has become mush in my water boss softener. So I need to replace the resin.

The manual has the part number and calls it "super fine mesh".

I can understand the filter issues with using fine mesh resin in a non fine mesh tank but what about vice versa?

Water boss rep wants $210 delivered. I can buy standard mesh resin in our area for $70. Anyone have an idea if I can use this in this softener?

I can understand the filter issues with using fine mesh resin in a non fine mesh tank but what about vice versa?

Thanks for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 18,261 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 11:24 pm
@rimoto,
What do you mean by filter issues with fine mesh? No resin should be used as a filter. Fine mesh causes a larger pressure loss than regular mesh, maybe that's what you mean.

Some dealers sell fine mesh because it is supposed to give you a bit more salt efficiency so your softener will be programmed for fine mesh but if you know how to change the dealer side of the programming, you can set it up for regular mesh but, the bottom basket should be changed for regular mesh. You'd change the whole distributor tube because the bottom basket is usually 'glued' to the distributor tube.

Any of us online dealers sell both kinds.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:38 pm
What type of water do you have?
Any Iron or chlorine?
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:14 pm
@rimoto,
H20Man asked a couple of good questions. The type of water can affect the softener's life and effectiveness.

Since the system is manufactered with fine mesh resins, I would go back to the same, or as close as possible. Since these are packed beds, I wouild recommend a prefilter with adequate flow to prevent the softener tank from filling up with foriegn matter.

Have you already removed the valve to inspect the resin?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:30 am
@Andy CWS,
Doesn't the Waterboss have a chambered tank with the top chamber being a filter? The filter chamber is backwashed clean with each regeneration. No other filter is required. And about the only softener that requires a prefilter is Kinetico, that Andy sells.

Fine mesh or regular mesh, neither is better than the other as far as chlorine tolerance is concerned and due to more beads per cubic foot, fine mesh may suffer more and sooner than regular mesh.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@Gary Slusser,
Gary Slusser wrote:
Fine mesh or regular mesh, neither is better than the other as far as chlorine tolerance is concerned...

Quote:
...fine mesh may suffer more and sooner than regular mesh.

So they are the same... only different Rolling Eyes
Gary Slusser

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 12:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
It seems that even if you took the statement in context, you would miss the point.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:28 am
@Gary Slusser,

It seems that whatever point you were trying to make didn't get made.
Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 03:59 pm
@H2O MAN,
A teacher is only as good as the pupil.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 09:21 pm
@Gary Slusser,
Study extra hard grasshopper.
0 Replies