Can you train a dog to cover it's poop?

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:36 am
I am seriously considering adopting a dog from the Humane Society this weekend. The one thing I think I will seriously not enjoy, though, is picking up poop. So that got me thinking... can you train a dog to go like a cat? Cats have been trained to use the toilet, so maybe a dog can be trained to dig-poop-cover. Anybody know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 12,214 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:18 am
@FreeDuck,
My dog kinda tries, but he's not very good at it. I think you can train them to try, but I don't think you can expect them to act like a cat. There's a very strong desire to be clean in cats that dogs seem to lack entirely.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Did you train your dog or is it something he just does? I'd probably be happy if he could just dig a little potty spot before going -- I could cover it. I'm just not looking forward to picking up poop.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
mmm....it's not all that strong in some cats either.

Jezzer takes a dump, then stands astride the litter box looking at it with distaste.
Then, she'll paw at the wall for a few seconds, then look down at the poop in amazement..."what? it's not covered up?" She'll paw the wall some more, then realize to be of any effect, she'd have to put her paws in the litter...puh-leeze, perish the thought. Then she walks off like nothing happened.

fortunately, otis has designated himself keep of the litter box and in fact buries stuff TOO deep. he's quite industrious. He's got job security with 3 cats around.

Lulu was the best. She'd unabashedly take a really stinkin' ****, and leave it right out there for everyone to admire.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:31 am
@FreeDuck,
Sure, if you want to dig 2 or more holes every day. I don't think I'd want to set foot in your yard, though.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:39 am
@FreeDuck,
I think he's copying the cat, and he only does it on walks. He'll urinate (doesn't poop on walks) and then turn around and kick his back legs for a while.

I tried training him to use the litter box briefly, but gave up quickly when he started eating the crunchy cat poop.
patiodog

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Most dogs do this, though some get more excited about it than others. They're spreading their scent around.

Only frightened dogs want to hide their poop.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:46 pm
@FreeDuck,
Get a smallish dog and train it to use a litter box. That's a sorta in-between option.
Miller

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:51 pm
@FreeDuck,
They can be trained to go in the house on a paper or a little dog pop garden.
You can buy the latter at a petshop.

If the dog goes outside, it's usually the law that you have to pick up the poop and dispose of it.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:02 pm
@ehBeth,
The problem with small dogs is their small dog personalities. I'm a little biased in that sense. I'd probably just get a cat instead.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:05 pm
@FreeDuck,
Dog personalities aren't necessarily based on size.

We meet plenty of wimpy big dogs in the dog parks, and plenty of small dogs with giant personalities. It's all about picking the right dog, and doing the right training. A confident small dog is unlikely to have a stereotypical small dog personality.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:06 pm
@FreeDuck,
And cats are in no way substitutes for anything you can get from a dog in terms of personality and activity. Especially if there are kids in a home.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:09 pm
@FreeDuck,
oh, and when I say smallish, I just mean under 50 pounds
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:18 pm
@FreeDuck,
I will speak from my own experience with a border collie (one of the brightest and trainable breeds). After my dog pees, he tears up the lawn in the general direction. He's instinct is to try to cover it up. However, he fails miserably. Same with poop. I'd rather teach him to sing. He has a good voice.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:02 pm
@Miller,
I'll look into the poop garden idea. That sounds promising.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:05 pm
@ehBeth,
I understand. I like cats, have grown up with them, and would probably prefer one in terms of maintenance. But this little doggy just made me want to take him home. He's a mutt but he appears to me to be very intelligent and even tempered. I really alm0st adopted him on the spot but I have to talk myself out of such impulsive commitments.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:49 pm
@FreeDuck,
I've got two rescue dogs. I sometimes say that they were good to train because they wanted to prove to me that I did the right thing bringing them into our pack.

I'm generally a proponent of mutts as they often have the best of each breed, and none of the potential health issues of purebred dogs.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
I tend to agree. I've never had dogs, though, so I'm trying to get a good feeling for the responsibility involved and see if I can talk myself out of it. If I get him I'll be on here every day with dog questions, so bear with me.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:00 pm
@FreeDuck,
Re-read some of timber's posts about rescue dogs and you'll run, not walk, back to the mutt you saw.

Some rescue dogs can be a lot of work at the beginning. It sort of depends what brought them into a rescue situation to begin with. Others, like my male dog, are almost self-sufficient. Once I learned that I couldn't put my feet on the floor (from sofa or bed) without warning him, things were downright easy (errr, except for the occasional fit of jealousy he has in regard to Set, which Set's books tend to get the brunt of).
mismi

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I have trained both of mine to go in the same place - it is out of the way in the corner of the yard. They do pretty well actually - I did it when I crate trained them. It has been great - no dog poop on shoes and I don't have to pick it up. Not a big fan of that either.

My one dog was rescued from a puppy farm. But she was a puppy - so that might have made a difference