Should we promote a drug that “cures” shyness?

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:54 am
Oxytocin is the “wonder drug” for overcoming shyness. It is being promoted as a safe, alternative to alcohol as a means of overcoming the problem.

My question is " is this a problem? I also looked at it as more a personality trait. I was known when I was a kid as being shy. One of my daughters is shy. I would never promote her to use a drug to overcome this. Being shy isn’t a disease.

Also this “wonder drug” as been discussed for other uses:
The potential uses of oxytocin offer commercial possibilities well beyond individual patients too. Restaurants, for instance, could spray a thin mist over customers to put them at ease. It could be used as a benign form of tear gas, quelling any violent feelings among groups of demonstrators, or, building on the Atlanta research, even to prevent extramarital affairs.

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:03 am
@Linkat,
Interesting.

Some shyness can be debilitating but using oxytocin on young kids doesn't sound good. Doesn't it work on the brain and with hormones?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:03 am
@Linkat,
We already promote a drug that cures shyness. It's called booze.
McTag

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:04 am
@FreeDuck,

Drat, I was going to say that!

Hee hee hee

Very Happy
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:06 am
@FreeDuck,
Only that, if sprayed in a thin mist over the masses, it doesn't quell violent feelings among groups of demonstrators... or prevent extramarital affairs...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
Oxytocin side effects
Side effects with oxytocin are not common. Serious side effects include:

an allergic reaction (shortness of breath; closing of the throat; hives; swelling of the lips, face, or tongue; rash; or fainting);

difficulty urinating;

chest pain or irregular heart beat;

difficulty breathing;

confusion;

sudden weight gain or excessive swelling;

severe headache;

rash;

excessive vaginal bleeding; or

seizures.

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Talk to your doctor if you experience

redness or irritation at the injection site;

loss of appetite; or

nausea or vomiting.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

www.drugs.com
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:17 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
My question is " is this a problem? I also looked at it as more a personality trait. I was known when I was a kid as being shy. One of my daughters is shy. I would never promote her to use a drug to overcome this. Being shy isn’t a disease.

I think that it is a matter of degree. Some people are naturally more reticent, but when it gets in the way of having a social life, getting and keeping a job, or grossly interferes in a person's life it IS a problem.

If the drug was available, I think that it should be used very cautiously, and only with those individuals where their shyness negatively impacts on their lives.

I think that it would be unconscionable for a commercial establishment to use the drug without the espress consent of their patrons. This reminds me of the old story (I never learned if it were a legend) of the military putting a certain substance (damn, I can't remember the name of it, can anyone help?)
in the soldiers' food to dampen their sexuality.
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:21 am
@FreeDuck,
Yeah - according to the article it is supposed to be a safe alternative to alcohol.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:23 am
@Phoenix32890,
I think you're thinking of saltpeter, Phoenix.
Linkat

@Phoenix32890,
Salt peter
0 Replies

Linkat

@boomerang,
you beat me to it
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:26 am
@boomerang,
Boomer- I just remembered, but thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:37 am
@Linkat,
I also was painfully shy as a child and way into my twenties, but due to
circumstances - and life itself - I needed to overcome the shyness. I think, my mother nurtured my shyness with shielding me and being overly protective which wasn't really helpful.

I see shyness in part as an innate challenge to overcome, and with appropriate professional help, a person can succeed to a certain extend.
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:44 am
@CalamityJane,
I agree - my other worry is - will there a pill for any type of trait that society deems undesireable? We will soon all be carbon copies of each other.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:19 am
@Linkat,
I also agree.... why be the Stepford Humans?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:26 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Yeah, it was hard enough to bypass the Stepford wife Very Happy

Linkat, I actually appreciate shy people. They have something cute and innocent
about them. In a society where everyone is trying to run you over, it's a nice
trait to have. Plus, shy people tend to be more on the considerate side...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
It could be administered automatically to those who frequent MMPORGS or Internet discussion boards.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:01 pm
I am against designer drugs in principle. I could see a drug such as this for dire cases only.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:33 pm
Why do you suppose this society thinks that every thing can be fixed with a pill? Shyness is a normal reaction that all of us have experienced at one time or another. If no one ever felt any shyness we would all be speaking at the same time, all the time.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:54 pm
@glitterbag,
According to Jung a great many people are naturally introverted. It is society that has a bias towards extroverted personalities, and we are willing to guilt trip and drug our way towards getting what we want. Arn't we great!