Should we promote a drug that “cures” shyness?

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:58 pm
@Linkat,
I am agnostic on this point. If your daughter doesn't want to be shy, and cares about it enough to bear the cost of the drug in both money and side effects, then let the pharmaceutical companies produce a drug for her, and let her buy it.

Would I approve if my health insurance provider raised my premium to pay for your daughter's drug? No I wouldn't. I'm happy to pay for an operation on her appendicitis, but not for curing her shyness.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:59 am
@Linkat,
Not copies...Plain Do-Dos.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:27 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Not copies...Plain Do-Dos.

Dodos?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
@hawkeye10,
I am introverted, but extroverts do not step on me! Being an introvert does not make you a doorstep. We simply watch the extrovert make an a$$ of themselves as we silently realize how superior we truly are. Extroverts leave everything out on the table, so introverts can silently take advantage of their weaknesses.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:35 pm
@Linkat,
I don't feel so positive Linkat, I never seem to be able to get past extroverts taking my introverted social behaviour as me not liking them, or as me acting superior. The social cost extracted by the majority for refusing to conform to expected behaviour never seems to go away, it goes better with tolerant well educated people...but is still a problem.
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:26 am
@hawkeye10,
I guess I don't really care in a sense that if some one doesn't like the way I am too bad. Plenty of good quality people do like the way I am and appreciate me. I don't like to confirm to society any how and I really don't care if I do. I am happy as long as I am myself and to h*ll with anyone who cannot further than the surface.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:40 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix wrote:

Quote:
If the drug was available, I think that it should be used very cautiously, and only with those individuals where their shyness negatively impacts on their lives.

It would be ideal if Phoenix's statement could be the standard instead of sales quotas and the bottom line.

There are too many instances and extremes for there to be one answer. There sould be plenty of room for introverts and extroverts in our society, but when a characteristic is so extreme that it affects one's life, then drugs can be useful, even life saving. Remember, depression can easily become a terminal illness without treatment, more often than not with drugs.

Modern drugs have saved many lives and they shouldn't be demonized just because too many people use them for less than serious reasons.

IMO, it becomes morally repugnent when drugs are used on children to calm their behavior rather than dealing with it with proper medical supervision. This would include drugs, if they were subscribed and supervised by a doctor instead of the teacher and used only as a last resort.

0 Replies

bulldogcoma

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:39 pm
@Linkat,
Do ecstasy and talk to me about shyness.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:44 pm
Sure, give 'em oxycotin. Get rid of the shyness and get a life long drug addiction. This stuff is poison.
panzade

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:53 pm
@Ceili,
you made me laugh Ceili.

Quote:
Recent studies have begun to investigate oxytocin's role in various behaviors, including orgasm, social recognition, pair bonding, anxiety, and maternal behaviors.
For this reason, it is sometimes referred to as the "love hormone". The inability to secrete oxytocin and feel empathy is linked to sociopathy, psychopathy, narcissism and general manipulativeness.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:13 pm
@panzade,
What about that Italian drug, martini?
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 03:55 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Oxytocin is the “wonder drug” for overcoming shyness. It is being promoted as a safe, alternative to alcohol as a means of overcoming the problem. My question is " is this a problem? I also looked at it as more a personality trait. I was known when I was a kid as being shy. One of my daughters is shy. I would never promote her to use a drug to overcome this. Being shy isn’t a disease. Also this “wonder drug” as been discussed for other uses: The potential uses of oxytocin offer commercial possibilities well beyond individual patients too. Restaurants, for instance, could spray a thin mist over customers to put them at ease. It could be used as a benign form of tear gas, quelling any violent feelings among groups of demonstrators, or, building on the Atlanta research, even to prevent extramarital affairs.

is this shyness , really being an introvert ?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:10 pm
@Linkat,
There's already a drug called alcohol. In increasing amounts, all inhibitions and shyness disappears like magic!

I know several people already suggested this, but it should be on the "top of the list" anywhos.
north

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

There's already a drug called alcohol. In increasing amounts, all inhibitions and shyness disappears like magic!

but thats not who they really are

Quote:
I know several people already suggested this, but it should be on the "top of the list" anywhos.

why ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:33 pm
@north,
Why? Because it's the most common "drug" used around the world.
north

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Why? Because it's the most common "drug" used around the world.

whatever

anyway do we need to " cure " shyness ?

and is this " shyness " really a person being an introvert ?
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:42 pm
@north,
north wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Bah!. I'd argue a person is much more "who they really are" after a couple of drinks
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:47 pm
@thack45,
Good point! You get a thumbs up! LOL
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:49 pm
@thack45,
north wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote:
Bah!. I'd argue a person is much more "who they really are" after a couple of drinks
I disagree any person who takes any drug is different than when they are straight , agreed but is the person who does so is not really who they " want " to be , otherwise they would do so straight
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 08:06 pm
@Linkat,
Not unless you also promote a drug that "cures" assertiveness. Nature favors balance.
0 Replies