LCD Panel will only work in safe mode

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 12:23 pm
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook. I have XP installed with a ATI Mobile Radeon X300 display card. I've been using this notebook for over 2 years now and never had a problem until now.

Problem:

All of a sudden my LCD Panel will go blank while booting up in normal mode, after the bios post and the Windows XP initial screen it will go blank. I am only able to get it to work by booting up in Safe or VGA mode. While in safe mode I got rid of my password and tried to reboot normal. Since I don't have a password my notebook will boot and goes into windows, up but I still don't get any display on my LCD panel, if I attach an external monitor I'm able to see that the PC is working normal, but I still don't get an image on my notebook panel.

What I've done so far is update my video drivers and it still will not work. I also uninstalled my ATI Radeon X300 video card from device manager and when I rebooted windows found a new VGA or compatible card, immediately I updated the video driver and it will work, but after I power down the notebook and reboot it same problem occurs, no image on the LCD Panel.

Any Ideas? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,903 • Replies: 5
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 01:46 pm
Sounds more like a graphics controller/driver issue than a problem with the LCD.

Make sure you are getting the updated video drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website, and not from Microsoft or the graphics controller's website.
0 Replies

Jacob Mila

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:51 pm
Thanks DrewDad.

I've already tried updating my the latest video driver from Dell and I still get the same problem. I even reformated and reinstalled windows XP more than 3 times and everytime the LCD Screen will work in normal mode for a while, but if I leave off my laptop overnight the LCD will go back to the original problem, I will only get a blank screen even though I'm able to get into windows 'cause I don't have a password. The only way I'm able to use the LCD Panel is in safe mode. I've check the dell forums on this subject and it seems that other people are having this same problem, but there is no solution found in those forums, that's why I'm checking here, perhaps I can get some help here. Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

lan0000

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:27 am
Check your lid switch, if it is pressed in, try and get it out using a pin. Some models have a magnetic switch. I used a permanent magnet and deactivated it on my dad's Inspiron 6000. This is usually located near the touch pad area.
inz2b

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:27 am
@lan0000,
I can't believe it...this was my problem! I've spent days on tech forums, updating drivers etc and this was the problem!!! To break it down just in case people are searching for this problem. The laptop LCD on displays when the laptop is booting (you see the boot screen and then the Windows startup screen) then the display goes blank. An external monitor works fine, and the LCD works in VGA boot mode and Safe Mode. All I had to do was close the lid and reopen it and everything worked. Thanks a lot for the help!
Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:06 am
@inz2b,
Congrats lan0000. Good work.

Once again...online techies and smart consumers come to the rescue. Tells you alot about the uselessness of Tech Support. A big outfit like Dellv should be ashamed of themselves
0 Replies