How many people die every day?

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 01:27 am
How many people die every day?

I'm curious.

p.s. no jokes about how rare it is for one to die daily...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 50,085 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Francis

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 01:46 am
Pretty easy, look here: World clock
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 03:06 am
A question among, oh, by now, seventy, and rules for answering.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 01:45 pm
Now if that clock is correct then the world is fecked to be blunt!

I mean if every year there are an extra 62mil ppl born over the rate of deaths then surely there will be some mass war or land to accomodate the people.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:05 pm
Human population growth is a ticking bomb, especially when we have to take into account rising expectations around the world. The demand for finite resources, probably most notably petrochemicals, to feed those expectations can not continue indefinitely. The availability of clean potable water to support growing populations in places like Africa and India are already on the cusp of being totally inadequate. Without an adequate water supply agriculture is unlikely to produce enough food to stave off massive outbreaks of famine. Those regions in Africa and Southern Asia most at risk also tend to be the least stable. The Chinese population is well over a billion people, and continues to grow at an astounding rate. The PRC has tried to slow population growth with the most draconian reproductive policies in the world, with very reduction in the rate of population growth. The unintended result of PRC's restriction in permitted births has been to create a very significant discrepancy in the male/female ratios. How that will effect future Chinese policy and ability to provide for its gigantic population can only be speculated on. The PRC has embarked on an ambitious program to modernize and industrialize its economy as a pallative to projected short falls in essential resources like food. Again, this is an admirable effort to avert almost certain catastrophe, but no one can be sure that it will be effective and not produce its own series of major world problems.

The pressures put on the environment by population growth are real, and won't go away by trading pollution credits. It is unrealistic to expect nations to suspend their reach for strong economies based on industrial productivity because the alternatives are even more alarming in the face of population growth and demand for a secure quality of life like that depicted in the movies.

Humanity faces other potential catastrophes besides population growth. Already mentioned above is the danger of recurrent famines that humans have had to deal with throughout history. Lack of good water is unfortunately balanced by the death, damage and destruction caused by flooding from various causes. The probability of a world-wide pandemic that could kill over 30% percent of the whole human population is frighteningly large. An outbreak of a highly contagious flu with high mortality rates in Southeast China/Asia where sanitation and the health care systems are frail could occur at anytime. With modern transportation and massive numbers of people crossing borders such a disease could wipe out significant numbers before we even became aware of its existence. Of course, that would help to alleviate the problem of over population.

The bottom line is that the problems facing our species over then next couple of hundred years are complex and the consequences of dealing with the most obvious problems are uncertain outcomes. The future almost always appears dangerous and threatening to us, yet humans have been overcoming such hurtles since long before we invented writing. We can and should be concerned, but running about crying that the sky is falling and the world will end next Tuesday at 2:15 a.m. is not helpful. Nether is it helpful to point blaming fingers at any particular group, demographic or political system/leadership.
Captain Irrelevant

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:54 pm
It goes up on open mic night at the comedy club.
0 Replies

Cool dude123DC

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 01:09 pm
cool
that a cool world clock
0 Replies

IknowIknow

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:35 pm
djalliance wrote:

I mean if every year there are an extra 62mil ppl born over the rate of deaths then surely there will be some mass war or land to accomodate the people.

Nope not if we keep our abortions going strong.
0 Replies

IknowIknow

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:43 pm
djalliance wrote:

Nope not if we keep our abortions going strong.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:44 pm
World population is not a ticking time bomb-- in fact it is stabilizing, due in part to birth control and in part to education. There are many countries that now have negative growth rates (i.e. more deaths than births) and birth rates are dropping in all but the poorest countries.

If you want to help world population get even lower, you should support the proven ways to decrease it.

- Improving literacy rates, particularly for women.
- Improving financial wealth, opportunities and freedom for women.
- Increase sex education
- Give greater information about and access to reliable birth control (including abortion)

Countries that do these things dramatically drop their birth rates.

Countries where women have equal rights and everyone has access to good education have birth rates at near or below the replacement rate (i.e. 2 kids per woman).

-
0 Replies

nkahl25

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:32 pm
@damn curious,
That is a good question, but an even better question is, Do you know where you will spend eternity at after you die?
Annie1948

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:37 am
@nkahl25,
I'm going to heaven... And I know that for sure! NOT because I'm a good person or anything, but because Jesus paid my fine for me 2000 years ago!
Annie1948

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:59 am
@Francis,
The "World Clock" isn't on that page any more... drat!
Francis

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:04 am
@Annie1948,
Ok, try this link:

World clock
0 Replies

Brianiac

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:57 pm
@Asherman,
The ENTIRE population of Planet Earth could fit into the state of Texas very comfortably: the population density would be that of New York City. Not Manhattan; all five boroughs . . . and there's a LOT of green space in Staten Island, Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn.
Let me say it again: the entire human population of Earth could fit into the state of Texas at the density of New York City (not Manhattan, all five boroughs).
0 Replies

ggs

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 08:26 am
@nkahl25,
With 200,000 people dying each day it is VERY discomforting to know that the majority of them end up in Hell - so let's get out and spread the Good News of Jesus Christ, lest there is blood on our hands!!!
Eze 3:18 "If I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand."
God bless
Gabriel
0 Replies

Abbosi

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:11 pm
@Annie1948,
do you think that good and bad persons will both go to the heaven because Jesus paid their fine??!! so what's the benefit of doing good?? and what's the idea behind creating us??what if it was a lie and we're all fool persons?? go to youtube website and search for "The Arrivals".. it's a series that tells you the truth about what's going on and convict you by reason.. please dig deeper in the subject and don't believe everything others tell you because it's a really important subject.. good luck
0 Replies