Famous Bruce Lee Quotes

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:06 pm
The following are some of Bruce Lee's ideas that reflect his fighting philosophy.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

"Fighting is not something sought after, yet it is something that seeks you."

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, and it can crash. Be like water, my friend..."

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."

"The more relaxed the muscles are, the more energy can flow through the body. Using muscular tensions to try to 'do' the punch or attempting to use brute force to knock someone over will only work to opposite effect."

"Mere technical knowledge is only the beginning of Gung Fu. To master it, one must enter into the spirit of it."

"There are lots of guys around the world that are lazy. They have big fat guts. They talk about chi power and things they can do, but don't believe it."

"I'm not a master. I'm a student-master, meaning that I have the knowledge of a master and the expertise of a master, but I'm still learning. So I'm a student-master. I don't believe in the word 'master.' I consider the master as such when they close the casket."

"Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there."

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat."

"Unfortunately, now in boxing people are only allowed to punch. In Judo, people are only allowed to throw. I do not despise these kinds of martial arts. What I mean is, we now find rigid forms which create differences among clans, and the world of martial art is shattered as a result."

"I think the high state of martial art, in application, must have no absolute form. And, to tackle pattern A with pattern B may not be absolutely correct."

"True observation begins when one is devoid of set patterns."

"The other weakness is, when clans are formed, the people of a clan will hold their kind of martial art as the only truth and do not dare to reform or improve it. Thus they are confined in their own tiny little world. Their students become machines which imitate martial art forms."

"Some people are tall; some are short. Some are stout; some are slim. There are various different kinds of people. If all of them learn the same martial art form, then who does it fit?"

"Ultimately, martial art means honestly expressing yourself. It is easy for me to put on a show and be cocky so I can show you some really fancy movement. But to express oneself honestly, not lying to oneself, and to express myself honestly enough; that, my friend, is very hard to do."

"A good martial artist does not become tense but ready. Not thinking yet not dreaming, ready for whatever may come. A martial artist has to take responsibility for himself and face the consequences of his own doing. To have no technique, there is no opponent, because the word "I" does not exist. When the opponent expands I contract and when he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, "I" do not hit, "It" hits all by itself. "

Posession of anything begins in the mind.

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.

The mind is like a fertile garden in which anything that is planted, flowers or weeds, will grow.

If you think a thing is impossible, you'll make it impossible.

If you want to learn to swim, jump into the water. On dry land, no frame of mind is ever going to help you.

To hell with circumstances. I create opportunities.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 25,095 • Replies: 15
No top replies

TTH

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:27 pm
I like his quotes. From what I remember, he used the useful parts of the different types of Martial Arts and created his own. Still going off memory, the Martial Arts community did not like that but, I don't know if they ever accepted him. I know his art is accepted and widely known- Tikwandu (sp?)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:40 pm
"I said commitment, not anger."
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:46 pm
TTH wrote:
Still going off memory, the Martial Arts community did not like that but, I don't know if they ever accepted him.

He got offside with the Chinese martial arts community by divulging their "secrets" to westerners.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:39 pm
I just looked at a biography site about him. Wilso, it did mention something along what you posted.
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 03:58 am
Yes, you are correct.. he even got challanged to a fight because of it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 04:09 am
MC Kruger wrote:
Yes, you are correct.. he even got challanged to a fight because of it.

I saw an excellent bio on the discovery channel about Bruce Lee. Interviews with his wife and daughter. His wife was at that fight. She was 8 months pregnant with Brandon. It went for something like 9 or 12 minutes. She said that his inability to win that fight quickly was what set him on his search that eventually led to the development of Jeet Kun Do. And contrary to the movie about him, his opponent didn't hit him from behind and paralyse him. He later hurt his back weight training.
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:54 am
Yes I think I saw the same one, was that the part where they talked about him not being in his best physical condition? If so then yeah i've seen that.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 09:33 am
I watch the discover channel once in awhile but, I never saw the show about him. I would have liked to have seen it. So, his art is called "Jeet Kun Do"?
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:03 pm
Quote:
"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat."
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:06 pm
TTH.. You might be able to find some good stuff about him on youtube. Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:11 pm
I thought he took what he thought was useful from the different types of martial art forms and created his own "technique".

btw I only listen to music on YouTube
I edited this to change the word style to technique
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 10:02 pm
Hey TTH watch this.. Its a basic description of jeet kune do. If you do train, you'll find some very useful stuff in there, Enjoy.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20HlyP14Ndc

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgdxDOp62hk&mode=related&search=
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:53 am
MC Kruger wrote:
Hey TTH watch this.. Its a basic description of jeet kune do. If you do train, you'll find some very useful stuff in there, Enjoy.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20HlyP14Ndc

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgdxDOp62hk&mode=related&search=
Thanks. I do know someone who has a school and teaches the "technique" so I have seen it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 09:15 am
Bruce Lee and his son, Brandon, are both buried in WA State.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=612
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=611
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 09:28 am
Yes, I learned alot from watching it, I even practiced the knife defending technique with my sparing partner. And found bruce really did know what he was on about.. lol
0 Replies