Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:53 pm
Quote:
Norwegians queue for chance to stay at Ikea

· Chain to let avid shoppers bed down in warehouse
· Stores are one of country's main tourist attractions

Gwladys Fouché in Oslo
Saturday July 14, 2007
The Guardian

It brought us Swedish meatballs, Billy bookshelves and endless queues on London's North Circular on Saturday afternoons. Now Ikea is going one step further and opening the Ikea Hostel, where customers can stay overnight if they haven't finished their shopping.

Later this month Ikea in Norway will let shoppers kip down in one of its two Oslo warehouses, an operation that will last a week. Frode Ullebust, a company spokesman, said: "It will be like an alternative hostel. There will be the regular dormitory with lots of beds stacked up together.

"We will also have a bridal suite, with a round bed and a hanging chandelier, and the luxury suite, where customers can enjoy breakfast in bed," he said. Family rooms will also be available for parents and children.
Mr Ullebust said that, as far as he knew, this was Ikea's first foray into the hotel business. Every night, the 30 lucky few will be able to stack up on meatballs, Norwegian salmon and cranberry mousse as Ikea is offering free dinner and breakfast at the usual canteen.

Whereas many Britons may associate the Swedish furniture company with screaming children, traffic jams in the car park and the occasional riot when a new outlet is opened, it seems that Norwegians see a trip to Ikea as the ultimate tourist attraction. Mr Ullebust said: "Around 900,000 visitors come to visit Ikea during the summer holidays. It's more than what one of the biggest attractions in Norway, the Holmenkollen ski jump, gets in one year.

"We have five Ikea stores in Norway, all situated next to the four biggest cities, which are all in the south in the country. We found that people from the north of Norway include a visit to Ikea as part of their holidays," said the spokesman. "The Ikea Hostel will make the destination complete."

Overnight stayers can check in to their temporary abodes from 10pm, an hour before closing time, but will have to be quick in the morning. "The shop opens at 10am so if they are lazy, people might get woken up by shoppers testing out their mattresses," said Mr Ullebust.

Customers will also be able to take their bedsheets home. "It's a nice souvenir," he added. "We will also give them bathrobes with the Ikea Hostel logo on, and some slippers, so they won't get cold at night."

And to top it all off, Ikea fans can join a very private tour of the building. "Ikea never sleeps. They can go on a tour of the warehouse. They will enjoy Ikea by night," said the spokesman. In addition, four employees will be on hand to look after the Ikea lodgers.

Eager applicants have until Wednesday to apply for an overnight stay, by filling in a form and saying why they want to sleep at Ikea - a question many a frazzled Saturday shopper may wonder.

Norway was Ikea's first foray outside Sweden in 1963 and remains a very lucrative business, contributing 2.9% of its total revenue in 2006.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 829 • Replies: 10
No top replies

happycat

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:27 pm
And they call Americans crazy! Personally I can't get out of Ikea fast enough! Get in, buy cheap midget-sized plastic crap, and go!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:52 am
Well, actually, IKEA is a furniture house ... :wink:
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 06:56 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, actually, IKEA is a furniture house ... :wink:

uh huh. not by my definition.
All their stuff is short and looks like it comes from Lilliputian land.
Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:02 am
Well, it happened to me to go to an IKEA in California and it looked like the ones in Europe: house furniture..
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:11 am
Francis wrote:
Well, it happened to me to go to an IKEA in California and it looked like the ones in Europe: house furniture..

Yes, it's house furniture.....but it's all composite stuff.
My tastes lean toward real actual wood such as oak, crafted into a piece of furniture that will last longer than me.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:13 am
I've no Ikea stuff at home, but I found their products well adapted to usuall American houses...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:57 am
I've got some pieces from Ikea in my home office and I love them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:00 am
All IKEAs look the same (more or less), and they've all over the worls the same producrs.

Indeed, compared with what you get in some US-American shops and what you see there at some places ... it's quite decent.
(And it's not all composite stuff at all.)

I could imagine that - like in Europe - young families ar glad to get some quite good furnitures at a reasonable price.

We had quite a lot from IKEA .... before we changed slowly to handcrafted - I didn't have $15,000 dollars for a bedroom room closet when I was younger :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:10 am
And you do now?!

Wow.

Yeah, I have a whole lot of IKEA furniture that is both good-sized and sturdy. And a lot of it is solid wood (not composite).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:16 am
sozobe wrote:
And you do now?!

It was less Laughing

Well, we've get quite a lot of antique furnitures ... and IKEA was really the best looking (quality) furniture with the best price to combine best.
0 Replies