Uplifting Thoughts/Quotes on Christianity

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:01 pm
I was browsing this forum for something positive, something that teaches me something, or helps me become a better person, or helps me to be more positive (in regard to my religion). But I didn't find anything of the sort. All I found was arguments and debates. So I'm hoping to start a thread with positive comments and quotes about my religion.

I'm not trying to discriminate in any way against other religions. If you're hell-bent on posting something that's not related to Christianity, go ahead. I can't stop you. I just think it would be better worth your time to start a thread for your personal religion.

Thank you.

Here's mine:

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40:28-31
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,230 • Replies: 10
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:09 pm
Re: Uplifting Thoughts/Quotes on Christianity
YAAAAWWWWWNNNNN!!!!!

That's better.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:07 am
Thank you for yawning on this thread. Yawning helps all by clearing the blood clots and helping positive juices flow through your body.

...NOT.

If you want to be a jackass, go somewhere else. I've already dealt with enough jackasses today.

Administrators, could you please delete his/her thoughtless, unnecessary post?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 11:57 am
Always loved this one, bit shorted sighted I would have thought

And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. Genesis 6:6-7
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:11 pm
BlueAwesomeness wrote:
Thank you for yawning on this thread. Yawning helps all by clearing the blood clots and helping positive juices flow through your body.

...NOT.

If you want to be a jackass, go somewhere else. I've already dealt with enough jackasses today.

Administrators, could you please delete his/her thoughtless, unnecessary post?
With all due respect, Blue, if you post in this forum, you have to expect disagreement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 03:29 pm
The following quotes are From Samuel Clemens, popularly known as Mark Twain:

"The church is always trying to get other people to reform; it might not be a bad idea to reform itself a little, by way of example."

"One of the proofs of the immortality of the soul is that myriads have believed it. They also believed the world was flat."

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven."

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger."

. . . and the best of his observations on Christianity:

"If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be--a Christian."
0 Replies

Talkactive

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 04:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
The following quotes are From Samuel Clemens, popularly known as Mark Twain:

"The church is always trying to get other people to reform; it might not be a bad idea to reform itself a little, by way of example."

"One of the proofs of the immortality of the soul is that myriads have believed it. They also believed the world was flat."

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven."

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger."

. . . and the best of his observations on Christianity:

"If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be--a Christian."

Hello Setanta!

It seems that you also would have found this statement of Jesus in Matthew 15:14 interesting, opposite your friend Neo, who blindly believe in his religious leaders and their doctrines of men.

15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

15:13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

15:15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.

15:16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 04:12 pm
If it so "seems" to you, then i suggest you are badly in need of an eye examination. Having your head examined might help, too.
0 Replies

Talkactive

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 04:18 pm
BlueAwesomeness wrote:
I was browsing this forum for something positive, something that teaches me something, or helps me become a better person, or helps me to be more positive (in regard to my religion). But I didn't find anything of the sort. All I found was arguments and debates. So I'm hoping to start a thread with positive comments and quotes about my religion.

I'm not trying to discriminate in any way against other religions. If you're hell-bent on posting something that's not related to Christianity, go ahead. I can't stop you. I just think it would be better worth your time to start a thread for your personal religion.

Thank you.

Here's mine:

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40:28-31

Hello to you BlueAwesomeness!

If you are looking for something uplifting, what about the best hope mankind can have, what comes forth in Revelation 21:

21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 05:24 pm
BlueAwesomeness wrote:
So I'm hoping to start a thread with positive comments and quotes about my religion.

I've got one:

Christianity, in it's present form, seems less overtly cruel and destructive than Islam.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 06:42 pm
I find the following quotes from Jesus uplifting, I tend to look at a lot of what is said in religion in a comparative sense, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism etc, I see interesting comparisons. Also, if you read the Bhagavad Gita for instance, one of the characters, the teacher, is portrayed as a God I believe. To me it's clear that what we are dealing with is a collection or stream of thought originating from common men across all major religions that is being portrayed in a certain way in order to best deliver a message. Krishna in the Gita is portrayed as an entity/being in order to bring the teaching down to a conversational level for example. The "this is truth", confident and assumed way of describing a point of view is done to continually cut to the point of a passage, leaving the reader in less doubt as to the points being made. In this same vein, I see Jesus as simply being a method of portrayal.

Quote:
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

A particularly startling quote in the light of religious wars and in-fighting I guess.

Quote:
When you make the two one, and when you make the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner and the above as the below, and when you make the male and the female into a single one, then you shall enter the kingdom.

Cessation of division, non-duality, this is classic amongst Buddhism and Hinduism as far as I can see.

Quote:
The kingdom of heaven is spread out across the earth, only people don't see it.

A perspective or state of mind maybe.

Quote:
Peace, be still.

Very simple, not sure why I find it uplifting exactly. In the context of the calming of the seas, I see the seas as the hurried minds of men, stillness of mind is completeness or openness of mind.

Quote:
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.

Concerning yourself with the work at hand with a simple joy for said work, this reminds me of what I've heard called, "working meditation". Worry about tomorrow is often unnecessary division. Again, a classic train of thought across many major/minor religions.

Quote:
I am the light that illuminates all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all is attained. Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.

"I am the all". Jesus here, in my opinion, is being likened to "the ONE" or "brahman" of Hinduism. To me, this is done simply to describe something. There is no special man who literally came down to earth, a god in human form. God, brahman, ultimate reality, is embodied in human form for the portrayal of an idea.

Quote:
Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

To me this one links in with the previous quote. I also see more parallels with Hinduism in particular because of the way certain texts are described. Loving God with all your heart, in my eyes, is not about loving and submitting to some deity for approval, it is about being one with each passing moment. Love is often described, across a variety of religions (again as far as I can tell) in terms of completeness, whole in nature, beyond division and separateness. To love is to cease division and God is brahman or the totality of the world as we see it. All other commandments like stealing and lying simply follow accordingly when this is the case.

Quote:
The kingdom of God is within you.

Enough said with this one I think^. Apologies if there are any mistakes with the quotes.
0 Replies