I am so outnumbered...

cyphercat

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
Your fur family is charming, Aldistar! Makes me realize I should talk Mr Cypher into getting one or two more-- we still have room! Smile
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:03 am
snood wrote:
Hey, Aldistar - how long have your cats all lived together? In about a week, I'm about to go from a two cat family to a four...

Sorry, I'm going to be rude and answer for Aldistar. We have had a come and go zoo here and in my experience once the cats get acquainted, they usually get along quite well. You will likely have to tolerate some yowling for a few days while they get to know each other but it should cool off. If your new kitties are kittens it'll go much easier.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:48 am
Chatter is right. Whisper was the first and he was about a year old when we brought in Nugget. He freaked for about a week. Things like yowling and hissing. It is kind of hard to watch the new kitten try and snuggle with the other only to get a swipe across the head, but they do work it out.

When Tabbie came into the picture a year later, Whisper repeated the mini freak out and not only did he growl at Tabbie but also at Nugget and vice versa. It was like no one knew each other any more. That too wore off.

Now with Gypsie it seems to have gone more smoothly than before. We fed Gypsie alone for the first week and then as she was already eating we let the others into the room with her and they all went to the food bowl and ate with her. They were all so busy eating that no one seemed to notice that they were touching each other and not hissing. Now they all play with each other, but sometimes there is still a hiss and bomp on the head.

The best way I have found is to kep the new cat in a separate room for the first few hours so that they can get used to the smells of their new home and the other cats can sniff at them through the bottom of the door.

After the new cats seem a little more used to their own surroundings just open the door and let them mingle how they will. There is going to be hissing and growling and swatting at each other. They have to work out their own pecking order. I wouldn't yell or punish any of them for any of this as it is very necessary for them to establish their places in the hierarchy.

It may seem mean and it may be hard to watch them gang up on each other but they really will work it out. I have only intervened when things really start to get out of hand (i.e. blood is drawn, or one gets flipped on it's back and is being raked with the rear claws of the other, or they don't break it off after a couple of seconds.) Most times if they actually come to fighting it will be short tussle with some yowling and they will break it off themselves and walk away.

As long as there is room enough for them to go their own way and observe each other from a distance there shouldn't be to many problems. Remember food is the key to most of these situations. If you can get them to eat from the same bowl the battle is half won. Throw some treats on the floor in a small area so that they are forced to get near each other to eat.

This is a bit longer than I meant it to be but there you are. Keep us posted on how yours get along!
0 Replies