Muslim group loses cartoons libel case in Denmark

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm

A Muslim group lost a libel case on Friday against the leader of a Danish anti-immigrant party who had accused its members of treason for publicizing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad.

A court ruled that Pia Kjaersgaard, leader of the Danish People's Party (DPP), did not libel the Islamic Faith Community when she accused some of its members of treason for traveling to the Middle East to publicize a Danish newspaper's publication of the drawings, which caused a worldwide uproar in 2006. The court said the term "treason" was not libelous because it was used extensively in public debate. It ordered the plaintiffs, a loose network of Danish Muslim organizations which says it represents 50,000 members, to pay Kjaersgaard 40,000 Danish crowns ($7,400) in costs.

"We are very disappointed with the verdict and are considering an appeal," said Kasem Ahmad, a spokesman for the Muslim group. He added that the group would issue a fatwa, or religious edict, against Jyllands-Posten if it did not receive an apology from the paper. "It's too early to say any details of the fatwa," Ahmad said. "The fatwa is the last step and will also satisfy Muslims in the Middle East."

Kjaersgaard said she was relieved at the outcome but had expected to win. "As a politician, I have both the duty and the right to express my opinion," she said. "I am convinced that many Danes felt as I did in the hectic winter days of 2006."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 720 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:35 am
If they don't like it, then they're free to pack up and return to one of the worthless third world shitholes that spews out muslim freaks like plague locusts.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:48 am
That's the spirit, Wilso!

...err, what about those that were actually born in Denmark and are full fledged Danish citizens? Oh but never mind me, go on. A little bit of hate never killed anyone...or did it?
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:34 pm
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/07.06.26.AngerManage-X.gif
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:51 pm
Kill all the islamofascist pigs. Put the fear in them first.

http://www.siverbulletgunoil.net
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:30 pm
Wilso wrote:
If they don't like it, then they're free to pack up and return to one of the worthless third world shitholes that spews out muslim freaks like plague locusts.

This is Wilso the Liberal? Maybe there is another Wilso.

In any case, I can't say your sentiment doesn't resonate. Good on you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:41 pm
Re: Muslim group loses cartoons libel case in Denmark
HokieBird wrote:

A Muslim group lost a libel case on Friday against the leader of a Danish anti-immigrant party who had accused its members of treason for publicizing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad.

A court ruled that Pia Kjaersgaard, leader of the Danish People's Party (DPP), did not libel the Islamic Faith Community when she accused some of its members of treason for traveling to the Middle East to publicize a Danish newspaper's publication of the drawings, which caused a worldwide uproar in 2006. The court said the term "treason" was not libelous because it was used extensively in public debate. It ordered the plaintiffs, a loose network of Danish Muslim organizations which says it represents 50,000 members, to pay Kjaersgaard 40,000 Danish crowns ($7,400) in costs.

"We are very disappointed with the verdict and are considering an appeal," said Kasem Ahmad, a spokesman for the Muslim group. He added that the group would issue a fatwa, or religious edict, against Jyllands-Posten if it did not receive an apology from the paper. "It's too early to say any details of the fatwa," Ahmad said. "The fatwa is the last step and will also satisfy Muslims in the Middle East."

Kjaersgaard said she was relieved at the outcome but had expected to win. "As a politician, I have both the duty and the right to express my opinion," she said. "I am convinced that many Danes felt as I did in the hectic winter days of 2006."

Fatwas - ain't they grand? And so democratic too.

Quite important as well that the fatwa of Danish muslims satisfy the muslims in the middle east!

When will Liberals like Dag see that the tactics of the Islamic Faith Community (which may or may not be an extremist group) are nothing more than extortionist thuggery?

Perhaps infrablue has checked in on this thread and would like to explain how Europeans reacting negatively to this sort strong-armed tactics are bigots.

But then we are only talking about a tiny minority of muslims in Denmark. Right? If so, any fatwa will be a joke, just like the fatwa that resulted in the murder of Theo Van Gogh in the Netherlands or the need for Salaman Rushdie to have bodyguards 24-7. I'm sure Hirsi Ali snickers at the fatwa that calls for her murder - it's only a tiny minority of zealots she really has to fear.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:43 pm
Re: Muslim group loses cartoons libel case in Denmark
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
HokieBird wrote:

Fatwas - ain't they grand? And so democratic too.

Quite important as well that the fatwa of Danish muslims satisfy the muslims in the middle east!

When will Liberals like Dag see that the tactics of the Islamic Faith Community (which may or may not be an extremist group) are nothing more than extortionist thuggery?

Perhaps infrablue has checked in on this thread and would like to explain how Europeans reacting negatively to this sort strong-armed tactics are bigots.

But then we are only talking about a tiny minority of muslims in Denmark. Right? If so, any fatwa will be a joke, just like the fatwa that resulted in the murder of Theo Van Gogh in the Netherlands or the need for Salaman Rushdie to have bodyguards 24-7. I'm sure Hirsi Ali snickers at the fatwa that calls for her murder - it's only a tiny minority of zealots she really has to fear.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:57 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Wilso wrote:

That's because I'm NOT a liberal. I judge each issue on it's merits. Everything is not simply black and white.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:22 pm
Wilso wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Wilso wrote:

That's because I'm NOT a liberal. I judge each issue on it's merits. Everything is not simply black and white.

Could have fooled me, but hey let's not let such a debate deprive of us of our current mutuality.

No surprise though that you are an Aussie, one of the forgotten (by Western standards) but, perhaps, most vulnerable target of Jihadism.

The West is now:

America
Canada
Europe (UK)
Australia
Japan (paradoxically)

Too many Westerners and too many Americans do not appreciate the stalwart position of Australians.

Geographically --- Who are the most likely immigrants to Australia?

The days of sending the Irish riff-raff to Botany Bay are over.

The odd European or American may find their way (half way around the world) to Oz, but the masses that want to take up residence there are either Oriental (or whatever the currently PC term may be) or muslims.

No one, as in the rest of the wide world, will suggest that the former is anything of a problem, but the latter is like old sweating sticks of dynamite.

I love Australia and Australians. If I were forced to leave America, I would go to Oz.

As Randy Newman wrote in his song, "Political Science," --- we'll save Australia.

(Next time I am in Sydney - Nov 07 - I really don't want to schedule a time with you Wilso - I remember all to well your Liberal rants. But that doesn't mean we can't be friends Cool )
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:54 am
If Iran gets the bomb, then I want Australia to have it too. Because if Iran gets it, then the whole muslim world will, and the idea of a nuclear armed Indonesia on our doorstep doesn't bear contemplation.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:04 am
And, along those lines, I imagine Palestine should have the bomb as well as a hedge against Israel's having them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:14 pm
BlaiseDaley wrote:
And, along those lines, I imagine Palestine should have the bomb as well as a hedge against Israel's having them.

Not really.

Australia is a sane democracy; "Palestine" is not.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:26 am
BlaiseDaley wrote:

Israel's had it for years and hasn't used it on the Palestinians. I could see most muslim countries using it roughly 5 minutes after they got it in their grubby little hands.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:07 am
Just as a matter of interest, if a Danish muslim were to issue a fatwa, or play a part in getting that fatwa issued, would that person be liable to prosecution under Danish law?

Incitement (or conspiracy) to murder, perhaps?
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:44 am
dagmaraka wrote:
That's the spirit, Wilso!

...err, what about those that were actually born in Denmark and are full fledged Danish citizens? Oh but never mind me, go on. A little bit of hate never killed anyone...or did it?

I understand your response, but it would be interesting to hear your take on the matter, dagmaraka.

Regarding the "full fledged Danish citizen" question, my view is that these particular muslims were understandably aggrieved regarding the cartoons, but their subsequent actions then demonstrated that they considered themselves muslim first, and Danish citizens second.
Not only that, but they were so devoutly (or fanatically, whichever you prefer) muslim, that they were prepared to whip up a storm against their own country, which could have caused terrorist acts on Danish soil, and harm to its citizens.

If they are that devout/fanatical, then what are they doing living in what they would consider to be a kafir country with their liberal kafir laws? Surely they would have been feeling so strongly about their faith, that they would have made every effort to have moved themselves and their families to a predominantly muslim country, possibly where sharia law is practised, where they could keep their offspring well away from possible kafir influence, no?

I would hate to try to interpret what another poster was trying to say, but I must admit to having very similar feelings to Wilso when the bombings happened in London. I soon got past that and realised that emotions had taken over for a while, but hey, I'm only human.

In truth, I bet most of us felt very emotional like Wilso, immediately after 9/11, or 7/7. It's only political correctness gone mad that stops people from speaking up, for fear of being called a bigot or a racist.

If they wish to have their fellow citizens follow each and every minute rule and regulation of Islam, and are prepared to kill or cause harm to uphold those rules, then they should move to an Islamic country and let everyone, including their muslim brethren around the world who would never dream of harming anyone, get on with their lives in peace.
If they are not prepared to move, then they should accept the fact that they should abide by the laws of their mother country (ie Denmark in this case), and accept that Country's liberal culture and freedoms. This includes the right of peaceful demonstration against its free press.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 05:24 pm
Perfectly reasonable Doowop.It should prove intersting to see what replies you get.

Some believe that number of muslims causing or contributing to a ruckus around the world are a small few and any effort to draw conclusions from their action about muslims or muslim immigrants, demonstrates bigotry.

Now, it is without question that the villans who are killing people in the name of Allah are a very small sliver of the total muslim population.

The more important question is how many muslims sympathize with the grievances of these villans, find it quite easy to rationalize these crimes, and even got a secret thrill when they saw the Towers fall.

The more important question is how many muslim immigrants believe that only the believers in Islam own the earth - all of the earth - and that the infidels like christian, jewish, buddhist, or aetheist Danes are merely occupying land that belongs to muslims?

How many muslims believe that because Islam is the perfect way of God, it's adoption by or imposition on the world of the unbelievers is imperative, justified and inevitable?

In cultures that embrace tolerance and value diversity, immigrant zealots have a distinct advantage. The aggressive zealots not only are not encouraged to assimilate, their demands are often accomodated.

No culture, and rightly so, is going to so value tolerance and diversity to such an extent that the value spells the end of the culture. Eventually, the culture will cast aside tolerance and diversity for the sake of survival. This won't be done in a reasoned and measured way, it will be ham fisted and broad in it's application.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 04:04 am
Ever since 911 I've been waiting for a so called moderate muslim organisation to give a clear and UNEQUIVOCAL statement rejecting the aims of radical groups. I've yet to hear one.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 05:25 pm
Wilso wrote:
Ever since 911 I've been waiting for a so called moderate muslim organisation to give a clear and UNEQUIVOCAL statement rejecting the aims of radical groups. I've yet to hear one.

Perhaps they have. I'd wager that you would have a hard time naming one of these organizations. They don't tend to have much influence and consequently don't get much media coverage. Not like The Muslim Brotherhood, Al Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah.

What to me is more telling is that I have yet to see a report of any sizeable public demonstration against violence by ordinary muslims. Hundreds of thousands of ordinary citizens, around, the world have marched in the streets of their cities to protest wars that are arguably being fought against muslim extremists. These protests are,obviously, not demonstrations in favor of muslim extremists.
0 Replies