When has religion irked you personally and why?

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 11:29 pm
The girl knew what she was doing and was a willing participant. That's a lot different to the rape of a six year old.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:00 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
It is my opinion that some of you folks are way out of line in your comments toward Mech -- and his thesis. And I think some of you protest way, way too much.

I think Mech has been trying to say that there are cultures where what we refer to as "sexual abuse of children" is considered "a significant part of training for adulthood."

And from what I've read, those cultures usually have fewer sexually related crimes and phsychological sexual disfunction.

I think you need to state specifically what you mean here, Frank - that is such a general statement that I need you to be far clearer before I can address it.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Mech also seems to be saying that some of the young people who have encountered sexual activity with adults -- have not truly been abused and may have enjoyed and benefited from such encounters. My guess is there are many such encounters that are never reported -- and not because of fear or guilt on the young person's part, but because the young person never considered it to be abuse.

Again, Frank - that is a very easy thing to say - can you be a lot clearer about what you mean? You are saying that some of us have rushed to judge akaMechsmith - I would not want to do that to you.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Since this area is so repellant to many of us (it is to me despite the argument I'm making here), perhaps it is best to assess it from a different perspecitive that might easier allow the detachment necessary to appreciate the argument Mech is making.

I would offer the fact that some people consider any use of recreational drugs to be "drug abuse." Often it isn't -- any more than occasional and reasonable use of alcohol should be considered signs of alcohol addiction.

As a couple of people have already said, this is not a true analogy at all - unless people have drugs inflicted upon them with no choice.

Frank Apisa wrote:
I understand and appreciate the passionate feelings engendered in this discussion -- but to vilify Mech the way some of you have, is unwarranted -- and probably says as much about the people being so vocal than about Mech and Mech's ethics.

Mech raises a reasonable perspective for discussion -- and that kind of thing never is a negative for society -- where the kind of de facto censorship some here advocate, is.

You have mentioned this a couple of times - what do you mean - by this and "protesting too much" - do you mean that the people who have reacted strongly are those who wish to sexually abuse kids?

I think, when it comes to a discussion of such matters, that that is fine - however, the points you raise are the very points that paedophiles, many of whom are in close connection with each other through their web-sites and such, use to justify their behaviour - and I think those points need to be vigorously de-bunked - these are not simply neutral discussion points. I make no claims re Mech's personal behaviour or ethics - but the ARGUMENTS are, as I have said, used to justify appalling behaviour - out in the real world, not here in cosy discussion land.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:18 am
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Phoenix, I agree with your general position. Cultural relativism does have its limits, but consider the following: an anthropologist friend of mine, who does his research in rural Mexico was hired as an expert witness in a case where a young man in his early twenties from a so-called Indian village in rural Mexico was accused of child molestation. He was married in Mexico to a post pubescent girl (14 or 16 years of age). They were living here with the girl's parents in what all in the family considered a perfectly conventional marriage. Nevertheless, he was dragged off to jail to the great surprise of himself, his wife and his in-laws. The anthropologist was called in by the defense to affirm that the behavior was not considered deviant in the defendant's culture. Nevertheless, the court concluded that his behavior was subject to the cultural and legal canons of the United States where he was residing. As far as I know he is still in jail, and his wife is pining for him. She does not consider herself a child, and she does not consider herself to have been molested.

This is one of those difficult situations, JL, when law is a blunt instrument.

As a society, we decide certain things shall be made law to protect young people. Not every case is going to have its breadth and depth reflected by these laws - but, since we presumably cannot make different laws for every individual, we must set some sort of limit.

The case of tribal or traditional law or custom can be a very difficult one for countries to deal with. Here in Oz, for Aboriginal people leading a traditional life, some areas recognize tribal law in many circumstances. Not long ago, in a thread where a much older Aboriginal man's having been pretty much acquitted of rape of his young tribal law wife was seen as outrageous, (I was pretty blown away by the decision, too) I found myself defending Australia's limited recognition of tribal law against charges that it was racist. The balance is never easy. In that case, many Aboriginal organisations also condemned the almost acquittal.

I would see this sort of situation (in the US case you cite) where the sentencing judge would be able to take on the kind of nuance that the law itself cannot? Ie - that s/he would have it in their power to impose a sentence on the lighter end of the spectrum? I do not see such cases as reason not to establish boundaries around permissible sexual behaviour towards minors. Do you, really?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:51 am
JL- Your example of the teenager married to the young man IS a sticky one. What I don't understand, (and maybe someone with a legal background could help me) is that if he were married legally in Mexico, why was the marriage not recognized here in the States? Was the mariage sanctioned by Mexico, or was it simply a tribal ceremony? That might make the difference, but I don't know for sure.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:27 am
I hope that by responding directly to dlowan's comments, I will be responding to all the questions and comments directed my way on this issue. If I still owe you a response, please post it and I'll respond.

dlowan wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
It is my opinion that some of you folks are way out of line in your comments toward Mech -- and his thesis. And I think some of you protest way, way too much.

I think Mech has been trying to say that there are cultures where what we refer to as "sexual abuse of children" is considered "a significant part of training for adulthood."

And from what I've read, those cultures usually have fewer sexually related crimes and psychological sexual dysfunction.
(I corrected two misspellings)

I think you need to state specifically what you mean here, Frank - that is such a general statement that I need you to be far clearer before I can address it.

Sorry, D, but that is about as specific as I can get. I'm not sure what you mean by "I think you need to state specifically what you mean here..." -- because I've re-read what I wrote, and that is specifically what I mean.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Mech also seems to be saying that some of the young people who have encountered sexual activity with adults -- have not truly been abused and may have enjoyed and benefited from such encounters. My guess is there are many such encounters that are never reported -- and not because of fear or guilt on the young person's part, but because the young person never considered it to be abuse.

Again, Frank - that is a very easy thing to say - can you be a lot clearer about what you mean? You are saying that some of us have rushed to judge akaMechsmith - I would not want to do that to you.

Well I can tell you in absolute certainty that what I said is by no means a "very easy thing to say."

I've been following this thread for some while now -- and finally had to acknowledge that I was being a coward for not speaking up previously. I'll mention this point again in a few seconds -- but for now I can only say that if you want to "rush to judge me" as I suggest you have rushed to judge Mech, go for it. My conscience is completely clear on this matter. I have never been a pedophile; I am not drawn to it; I abhor it -- but I think a reasonable discussion of it from all perspectives is completely proper in this forum -- and I think that some of the personal characterizations of Mech for what he has to say on the matter are out of line.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Since this area is so repellant to many of us (it is to me despite the argument I'm making here), perhaps it is best to assess it from a different perspecitive that might easier allow the detachment necessary to appreciate the argument Mech is making.

I would offer the fact that some people consider any use of recreational drugs to be "drug abuse." Often it isn't -- any more than occasional and reasonable use of alcohol should be considered signs of alcohol addiction.

As a couple of people have already said, this is not a true analogy at all - unless people have drugs inflicted upon them with no choice.

I'm going to leave this one for now -- but I think the analogy is being dismissed inappropriately. The explanation is going to take more time that I want to devote to it -- so like I said, I'll leave it for now.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
I understand and appreciate the passionate feelings engendered in this discussion -- but to vilify Mech the way some of you have, is unwarranted -- and probably says as much about the people being so vocal than about Mech and Mech's ethics.

Mech raises a reasonable perspective for discussion -- and that kind of thing never is a negative for society -- where the kind of de facto censorship some here advocate, is.

You have mentioned this a couple of times - what do you mean - by this and "protesting too much" - do you mean that the people who have reacted strongly are those who wish to sexually abuse kids?

NO! Not at all.

What I mean -- refers back to the response I gave earlier about me being a coward for not entering this discussion earlier. (I mentioned that I would get back to that!)

We all want to identify with revulsion at a priest or scoutmaster taking advantage of his position to take sexual advantage of boys or young men.

It seems to me that in this thread, some of the participants want that revulsion perspective to be so highlighted, that they have taken to vilifying Mech for his discussion.

The same thing happened with me in local, letters to the editor discussions of homosexuality. I am not a homosexual -- and I feared that if I spoke up in defense of homosexuals, I could be perceived to be one. And there was no way I wanted that to happen.

So for a long time, I kept silent -- rather than offering a heterosexual perspective on the issue.

I finally got over that.

The same feelings came over me when this discussion first developed -- and once again, I was afraid that if I defended Mech's right to at least discuss this issue the way he was, I would be vilified also -- so I took the cowardly way out.

My point with the "protesting too much" referred to doing exactly that. That some people were presenting a perspective that could not possibly be misinterpreted - and in so doing, were "protesting too much."

Mech is not presenting a case for allowing deviates to have sex with kids. He is merely presenting an alternate perspective on the issue. All this vilification stuff is OUT OF LINE.

At least that is my opinion -- and I'm delighted I have finally expressed it.

Quote:
I think, when it comes to a discussion of such matters, that that is fine - however, the points you raise are the very points that paedophiles, many of whom are in close connection with each other through their web-sites and such, use to justify their behaviour - and I think those points need to be vigorously de-bunked - these are not simply neutral discussion points.

I'm not sure what YOU mean here!

Please feel free to "debunk" anything that I've said with which you disagree. My main thesis is that Mech is discussing an alternate perspective of an issue that should have alternate perspectives discussed.

If I have said anything that can be construed to be justification for aberrant behavior, I certainly did not mean it that way. As far as I am concerned, I am simply presenting alternate perspectives.

Quote:
I make no claims re Mech's personal behaviour or ethics...

I have not said that you have -- and I have been deliberately vague with regard to that issue. I intend to leave that part of my comments to "if the shoe fits...".

Quote:
...but the ARGUMENTS are, as I have said, used to justify appalling behaviour - out in the real world, not here in cosy discussion land.

No problem with me on that, D. Do it.

LAST THOUGHT:

It is time for all of us to wake up to the fact that we treat sexual matters in ways that are even more infantile than some of the victims of pedophiles.

Roselyn Elders, as Surgeon General, once suggested that teaching kids about masturbation techniques (as an alternative to other, more dangerous means of sexual gratification) -- and was met with the same kind of vilification I am talking about here.

Fact is, there are things being done to kid in our country that I consider to be even worse than sexual encounters with adults - and some of those things are glorified rather than condemned. Teaching kids to be dog-eat-dog, hooray for me, **** you kinds of beings will, in my estimation, harm them as much (and probably more) than much of this other stuff.

We've got to grow up.

The kind of discussion Mech has been brave enough to instigate is a step in that direction. The kind of vilification he has received here in this "cozy discussion land" -- is a decided step in the other.

Peace to you, dlowan. Peace to everyone in A2K.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:42 am
Frank, yanking people's chains in a public forum happens. However, I hardly see the need for Mech's PMs to Wilso. While he did give permission to publish them here, it seems Craven felt that some of them were grossly innapropriate to even bother. akaMechsmith wrote: "Personally I suspect that there is a certain amount of denial going on here also." Denial of what exactly? That some of us might harbour a desire to engage in the activities you have repeatedly mentioned with children? Sounds like yet more apologist logic, or are you just being misunderstood again? Consenual sex between younger and older people IS a gray area, I would agree there, but the very young are not capable of sexual consent, as NAMBLA would have you believe. Also, nobody has accused Mech of being anything more than coming across as an apologist for pedophilia, a hot issue, and everyone here has a right to post what they feel. Personally, I feel that the bulk of Mechsmith's argument is not worth addressing. Some of the issues you brought up, Frank, might be.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
dloan said:As a couple of people have already said, this is not a true analogy at all - unless people have drugs inflicted upon them with no choice.

Quote:
frank answered: I'm going to leave this one for now -- but I think the analogy is being dismissed inappropriately. The explanation is going to take more time that I want to devote to it -- so like I said, I'll leave it for now.

I think that the inequality of the analogy, of which dlowan and I are in complete agreement, IS the gist of the whole discussion. To make it even simpler, it is the difference between an adult doing something which harms no one, even though it may be against the law, and an act between an adult and a minor, who is neither legally nor emotionally qualified or capable of consent.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 02:20 pm
Frank, in asking you to explain what you meant, I meant which cultures, which practices, what evidence of better sexual adjustment - stuff like that. Also - what you mean by kids benefitting from such encounters and not reporting because it was all good etc.

In terms of not judging you, I had no intention to judge you a paedophile - I preferred not to judge your arguments without fully understanding them.

It is easy to say what I mean re the arguments being used to justify paedophilia in the real world - Cav has stated it. These are EXACTLY some of the arguments that organised paedophile groups use - ie that it is beneficial, part of normal sexual education etc.

As for your stuff re educaion about masturbation and such - most sex education material (at least here) discusses masturbation and the how tos of it - and debunks myths - sure, educate - it is just the non-peer practicals that people are objecting to, I think.

I have no qualm with your pointing out that many things done to kids are bad - however, that does not make sexual abuse good, does it? You are getting close to Mech's "football is bad, therefore lots of stuff being called sexual abuse is good" fallacy.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 03:00 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Dlowan,

Molestation ( the legal definition of) varies throughout the world and even in different cultures of the same country. In the "legal" forum of A2K look up the difference in Australia for instance. The thread in question is obvious.

Find a place where the anal rape (specific, not as defined by some "culture's" definition of 'rape') of children is legal and you'll have a case for the different legal codes.

Quote:
Specific crime had not been mentioned. I re read all 32 pages and I don't think I missed it.

Yes it was mentioned, in your PM exchange with Wilso he made it very clear that he was talking about penetration and rape, and you continued to defend it as "harmless" and "pleasurable sexual activity".

Quote:
I am not denying harm, I am acertaining harm. There is a subtle difference.

Bull. In your pedophile apologist position you continually define the rape of children as "harmless" and merely "pleasurable".

Quote:
Wilso,
It was intended as social commentary. However my obscureness ran smack dab into your obtuseness.

No, your perverted defense of sexual abuse of children ran against his moral compass and you prefer to think of him as obtuse instead of yourself as perverted.

Quote:
Try Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" or Aldous Huxleys "Island" but as social commentary I suspect that they also may go right over your head also. If you need them explained to you just start another thread. I'll be watching.
I do not claim to be of their calibre but I wouldn't be writing on A2K if I was.

Not accepting your defense of sexual abuse is not a matter of something going "over one's head" but rather "against one's moral compass".

To many your defense of the sexual abuse of children is simply unacceptable, no matter how you rationalize it.

Quote:
Dlowan and Phoenix, regarding the previous paragraph. I had thought that you were brighter than that. I was mistaken. I apologize.

They are plenty bright, and the "emperor's new clothes" argument ("oh, you think raping children is not "harmless" and "pleasurable"? Then you just aren't bright, tsk tsk.") falls pathetically flat.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 03:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are wrong. In his PMs to Wilso he was repeatedly and clearly asked if he defended the forcible anal rape of minors and he replied that he did (followed with rationalization of the why).

Quote:
Mech also seems to be saying that some of the young people who have encountered sexual activity with adults -- have not truly been abused and may have enjoyed and benefited from such encounters.

Yes, while defending a pedophile that was convicted in a legal court for serial rape of minors akamechsmith did mention that some sexual encounters are not abusive.

Quote:
My guess is there are many such encounters that are never reported -- and not because of fear or guilt on the young person's part, but because the young person never considered it to be abuse.

My guess is that this is not sufficient justification for the defense of raping children as a court of law determined to have happened (many times).

Quote:

Like I said, I cautioned against overreacting as it sounded like the typical tangential trips of his. But he clearified over 4 times very clearly that he is defending a man convicted of serial rape of children.

Quote:

He is not merely raising the question of how abuse is defined. He has clearly and repeatedly referenced serial rape of minors and called it "harmless" and "pleasurable".

Quote:

I disagree. I reject his arguments in defense of sexual abuse. That is a rejection of his ethics.

Quote:

I'm not sure what "reasonable perspective" you speak of. Do you consider forcible rape of children (as young as 4) to be "pleasurable" and "harmless"? If so, I can understand why you think him reasonable.

If not then what exactly about that do you find reasonable?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 03:17 pm
religion does not irk me until you bring in religious people.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 03:34 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
religion does not irk me until you bring in religious people.

aint labels grand???
made in america
made in japan
made in Iraq

black
yellow
red
white
male
female
straight
gay
bi-polar
ADD
skinny
fat
theist
atheist
agnostic
pantheism
racism

It's all nothing until someone wishes to put someone down, or feel superior.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 03:56 pm
Well, Craven, I certainly do not, under any circumstances, consider forcible rape of children as young as 4 to be "pleasurable" and "harmless" -- so I guess I will have to comment further on something I alluded to earlier -- but did not cover in detail

At some point, early in Mech's commentary, because of the rising temperature of the discussion and because I felt SOME agreement with what Mech was saying -- and in consideration of the fact that I really did not want to come down on the side of something that could be misconstrued as being forgiving of some very, very miserable conduct on the part of sexual deviates -- I decided to abandon this thread.

Which I did for a while.

I recently came back.

I may have missed some essential pieces of information.

But I have been debating with Mech on a variety of issues over a three-year period -- and he has always been a perceptive, reasonable individual -- so I am definitely inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I tried going back and reading some of the parts you people have been mentioning -- but that is almost impossible in a thread this long.

MY RESOLUTION: I want to hear from Mech.

Mech, these folks are saying that you feel the forcible rape of kids as young as 4 years old is harmless and pleasurable.

Is that your position?

Has your position been distorted?

If so, could you give me an idea -- here in the thread -- of what your position is SPECIFICALLY WITH REGARD TO THE ISSUE I JUST RAISED.

Try to limit it to that, if at all possible. We can cover other stuff at a future time.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:13 pm
I sense another of Mech's "I'm sorry I am so obscure" arguments coming along....but Frank has raised a perfectly fair and valid question.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:21 pm
cav- I think that Frank has posed a valid question. Let's not have any preconceived notions about how Mech is going to respond. If we have misunderstood his intentions, here is a chance for him to clarify himself!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:25 pm
Okay, Phoenix, slap on the wrist accepted, and I was sincere in mentioning that Frank has raised a valid question.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:29 pm
He clearly stated his support, as per usual I expect Mech to explain away his position. "No I don't support rape. But what is rape? Different societies define it differently..."
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:28 pm
Frank, if you are interested this is where to start!

Page 30

Wilso Oct 12 2:19 AM
Mech 7:48 PM
Wilso 3:58 and 4:01 AM
Mech 4:26PM

Grand Duke did notice. He is to be commended.

Wilso Oct 23 2:39 and 5:21 AM
Mech 6:18 PM
Wilso Oct 24 1:35 AM
Wilso 1:39 AM He presented several more elaborations on the same theme. A page worth in fact.
Craven de Kere Oct25 9:09 PM
Phoenix Oct 26 7:33
Mech Dec01 8:50 and 9:34
Wilso Dec 02 12:52 and 2:27
Phoenix 3:42PM
dlowan 4:25--- First specific mention of the incident that aroused Wilso's ire on this thread.
cavfancier 4:28 Argument ad hominum or slay the messenger Exclamation
Mech 7:04
Phoenix ---- Religious services do occur at Naturist gatherings and at American Sunbathing Asso. resorts.
cav and Mech-- Some genital comments.
Craven Dec04 4:03

Page 33

cavfancier Dec 04 7:42 Wilso reply
Edgar Blythe 7:55
Mech 7:51 Answer to Craven
dlowan Dec 05 3:11
Wilso 3:48--- Ridiculous

Page 34---Unremarkable

Page 35

Mech Dec 06 7:43
Wilso 8:53--- From you I would consider it a complement. Thank you.
cavfancier 10:13PM
Montana 1:49 AM---More brilliant deductions Exclamation
Craven Dec 08 4:00PM You missed the point also. My fault Question
Craven 4:10PM Never happened, Print the PMs if you wish.

Frank, I think it's hopeless. There are people here who seem unable to understand that merely because a crime has been committed it does not necessarily follow that there has to be a criminal.
This IMO is simply too abstract an arguement for this audience to comprehend. Mores the pity.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:35 pm
You've made your point, Mech, regarding that people are sometimes convicted of crimes and in some cases they may not be criminals. You have not however, explained the reason for your choice of model/example.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:41 pm
Come to think of it, you actually did not address Frank's question either.
0 Replies