The old joy of cooking cheese souffle

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:48 pm
SWIMPY, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:52 pm
As for the prepared souffle dish, it's just buttering it and dusting some flour on the sides and bottom before adding the souffle concoction.

OK, the case rests.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 07:52 pm
Glad I could help.

Dust the dish with flour or dry grated cheese.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:53 am
@Swimpy,
I'm going to bump this old thread up just because this is still one of my favorite recipes, it's easy, it's delicious, and I happen to be hungry as I post this.

Anyone have any other souffle recipes they really like?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 04:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Bumping again since I can't presently find the volume 1 book - it's here somewhere - and I remembered this thread.

This time I'm using some leftover bits of homemade bread and this will involve some guess work. I think it should still work. We'll see.

Snort, I just remembered where the book is. It's in the souffle dish up that I purchased at ebay for just this recipe. I knew I had plans to make it again. All I had to do was look up.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:18 am
@ossobuco,
So, this turned out great (to me). It is naturally not as billowy as a regular souffle, but sort of a relative of it. This last one would be a bit hard to reproduce exactly, since for the bread I used 2 jalapeno corn muffins with corn, a few whole wheat and herb/garlic biscuits, and a couple of slices of prev frozen w. wheat bread, a wild guess re being equivalent to 6 bread slices.

When I took the souffle dish down from the top shelf, I also found a Meyer Lemon Souffle recipe I'd tucked in there. Now that sounds good..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:45 am
@ossobuco,
Here's the Meyer Lemon Souffle recipe. I can tell it's from the NY Times, who knows what year. I trust regular lemons can be used, but I love and miss the Meyers.

It's adapted from "Chez Panisse Desserts" by Lindsey Shere (Random House, 1985)

5 large eggs
3 Meyer lemons
5 1/2 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for coating the dish and sprinkling
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus extra for coating the dish
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1. Separate eggs, placing 5 yolks in a small bowl, and 4 whites in the bowl of an electric mixer; discard the fifth white or reserve for another purpose.
Whisk yolks just until blended, then set aside. Set whites aside at room temperature, or refrigerate if the souffle is to be served later in the day. Rinse lemons with hot water, and grate and reserve the zest.
(osso note - there's a way to get the wax off if they are waxed and you want it off - if I remember, it's something like wash well with vinegar and then rinse)

2. In a small, heavy saucepan, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar and the flour. Gradually stir in the milk, mixing until smooth. Place pan over medium heat, and stir constantly until mixture has boiled for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat. While whisking vigorously, slowly add several tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks. Add yolk mixture to saucepan over medium heat, and whisk just until the mixture is smooth and thick, and light yellow in color, 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, and stir until it has melted. Stir in the reserved lemon zest, and set aside to cool. The mixture may be refrigerated at this point for up to 4 hours; bring to room temperature before baking.

4. Half and hour before serving, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish and coat it with sugar. Place the bowl of egg whites over a bowl of hot water, and stir gently until they are barely warmed. (Osso - I presume this is if they were refrigerated.) Using an electric mixer at medium speed, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, and increase speed to medium-high. Gradually add remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar, whisking until whites are moderately stiff but not dry. They should have smooth soft peaks with very fine bubbles.

5. Add about 1/4 cup of the beaten egg whites to the yolk mixture, to loosen and smothe the yolks. Gently fold the yolk mixture into the remaining egg whites, until barely mixed. Pour into the souffle dish, and smooth the top. With the tip of a table knife, draw a circle about an inch in from the side of the dish, and an inch deep into the souffle mixture. Squeeze 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice from one lemon. Trail juice over top of souffle, and sprinkle juice lightly with sugar.

6. Bake souffle until it has puffed and is golden brown on top, about 20 minutes. If souffle is browning too quickly, reduce heat to 375 degrees. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings.

Well, that looks like a recipe that would take me a million years to do the first time, and become routine if done more often. I still remember many years ago visiting some people in Ventura that I didn't know with my husband, the woman excusing herself for a small amount of time, coming back and talking some more, going to the kitchen again for a few minutes, and coming back out with a perfect chocolate souffle. It was a sort of heaven.
JPB

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm
@ossobuco,
oooohhhhhh.... that looks good and I have a jar of Meyer Lemons in the fridge that were a gift from MIL. She's coming to visit in a few weeks. Maybe I'll try that when they're here.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:34 pm
@JPB,
I reread the recipe and it's not as tricky as first struck me, especially if you are used to doing souffles, which if I remember you are used to, J.
We can probably get meyers in season at whole foods, guessing, but it's too far away.

Hmmm. I once saved an article from where, I think the SF chronicle, but maybe one of the other newspapers I read - 100 things to do with Meyer Lemons.
I'll see if I can find it, for future use.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha, that was easy -

http://www.latimes.com/features/la-fo-meyerlemons16jan16,0,5003872.story
JPB

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:37 pm
@ossobuco,
The ones I have are salt preserved. I wonder if you have to use fresh ones in this recipe?
JPB

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:39 pm
@ossobuco,
yum!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:50 pm
@JPB,
Hmmm. I'm guessing yes.

One way to find out..
0 Replies

FigNoz2

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 02:25 pm
@ossobuco,
I still have my second JOC (1963) and it has 2 Cheese Casserole recipes (NOT Cheese soufflé). If you're still interested, I can copy them in.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 03:23 pm
@FigNoz2,
Welcome to a2k, FigNoz!

Swimpy found the recipe - this post on the earlier page
http://able2know.org/topic/99918-1#post-2757273

Sometime after that, I unpacked the rest of my worldly goods that had been in storage and found my old JOC paperback.

I still make that easy souffle, often with different cheeses (as in, whatever I have on hand).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 04:30 pm
Osso, I have a hardcover version of "Joy of Cooking" printed in 1974, and Swimpy's recipe for "Blender Cheese Souffle'" is exactly the same. It's the only one that includes bread, and it IS on the facing page opposite the "cockaigne" one! I think this is what you're looking for!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 05:49 pm
@Eva,
But wait, Eva, I thanked swimpy years ago, that was it, I even told her I love her, and I've since found my book in the depths of my then stored goods.
Still, thank you for looking!

Hmm, wonder how it would be with gorgonzola.. not too much, of course.
Eva

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
HAHAHA! Sheesh...another case of not reading the date stamp. I really should know better. Embarrassed
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 05:52 pm
@Eva,
But yet another reason not to get rid of that book..
Eva

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
True.
0 Replies