Do obstacles have inherent abilities?

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:30 am
Can obstacles awaken the inherent abilities of a person to make him great?
I am quoting the experience of Mr. Eclectic:

"Several years ago I suffered from an attack of tennis elbow so intense that I couldn't even hold a pencil (forget trying to use it). As an artist and writer, this could have caused me a lot of mental anguish since I could not do the two things which are most important to me. Instead, I tried composing into a tape recorder instead of doing it longhand (which is still, BTW, my preferred method). And I tried drawing left-handed. I was very satisfied with both alternatives".

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97095&start=10

I wish to know your experiences on this topic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 710 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:19 pm
If an obstacle awakens inherent abilities, then it wasn't an obstacle (after all), it was a catalyst. In my opinion, it's the old half full glass, or half empty glass, or possibly the old lemonade made from a lemon.
And obstacles in managment seminars are supposed to be looked upon as "challenges." Reframe, reframe, reframe.
0 Replies

VSPrasad

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:14 pm
The meaning of the word 'obstacle' is:

1. An object that stands in the way (and must be removed or surmounted or circumvented). 2. Something immaterial that stands in the way and must be circumvented or surmounted: "lack of imagination is an obstacle to one's advancement"; "the poverty of a district is an obstacle to good education".

http://ultralingua.com/onlinedictionary/index.html?service=ee&text=obstacle

That which stands in the way, or opposes; anything that hinders progress; a hindrance; an obstruction, physical or moral.

(Please note the word 'moral').

http://www.onelook.com/?other=web1913&w=Obstacle

History speaks of many persons suffering from unsurmountable
obstacles - all of them are not supposed to be challenges. Many accept
them as fate and go through suffering. Some feel that they have the
will power to overcome. I wish to know how many of you could
overcome them to become examples for others.
0 Replies

VSPrasad

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:35 pm
Poverty is a fact - no one can remove it totally.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:59 am
I disagree,i think we simply we refuse to remove poverty because of our own greed. But then greed is what keeps us competitive isnt it?
0 Replies

eclectic

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:28 am
OGIONIK wrote:
I disagree,i think we simply we refuse to remove poverty because of our own greed. But then greed is what keeps us competitive isnt it?

I agree that greed motivates us to ignore poverty, but I disagree that greed is a necessary part of human progress.

I think greed is based on the illusion that the acquisition of things will give us self-worth. I think greed is the "dark" side of the basic human needs for security--having shelter, food, and clothing, and for self-esteem.

Competition isn't necessarily bad, but I believe people can achieve a great deal (and even be financially successful) without competing with others and instead focusing on achieving one's own personal best.
0 Replies