We have lost another old friend, and we feel empty

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:51 am
After a rollicking and wonderful 15 year friendship between my Husband and me and our last living 4 legged furry friend, life changed Saturday at 10:15. Our sweet Chloe succumbed to illness and old age and sadly we were forced to end her suffering that morning. It is never easy to lose someone you love, but she had been losing ground over the last few months and was no longer able to stand without falling over. We were happy to take care of the nursing care needed for our sweet girl, but it wasn't fair to her once the pain started and she was so stressed. She hadn't been able to eat or drink anything for about 5 days, but we kept her going by giving her IV fluids at home twice a day.

I knew Friday night that she wasn't gong to be able to shake this off, but my husband needed more time with her. Neither one of us are comfortable with the lost of our old puppy, but in the end we knew she deserved better than more hours or days of suffering. The vet thought it was a brain tumor....I don't know.....but I knew from previous experience with elderly and beloved four legged family members.... that her organs were shutting down and we knew she deserved to leave with some dignity and comfort.

So things are very somber here in glitterbag territory, but those of you who enjoy and love your animals know what that is like. We have priceless memories of both our departed dogs, Sadie left Feb 8th 2006 and Chloe joined her July 7th 2007. Both of these dogs gave us unmeasurable pleasure. We will eventually bring more pets into our home, but now we need some time to heal a little. We will never have dogs exactly like our Chloe or Sadie, but eventually we will find it impossible not to have a few more new personalities to round out the family unit.

Please give your pets a big hug tonight and think about how much they bring into your life. God did us a big favor when he programmed dogs and cats and other pets to enjoy humans.

Aching in Annapolis, glitterbag
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,366 • Replies: 53
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:55 am
I know how you feel and you have my sympathy. My old cocker spaniel/beagle mix is getting that way. She is virtually blind and falls over quite easily.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:56 am
Re: We have lost another old friend, and we feel empty
glitterbag wrote:

Aching in Annapolis, glitterbag

Aching with you, glitterbag. So sorry.
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:22 am
you can get a new pet. no pet is as good the one you loved best, the first one, and the most understanding one but get a new pet while you still have a life on the earth. enjoy your life while you got it. you never know when you're gonna pass away...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:23 am
Thank you both for the expressions of sympathy. The house is very quiet, too quiet. I miss hearing the sound of her nails clicking on the hard-word and ceramic flooring. There must be a God, because I can't think of a good reason why dogs are so loyal and love us so much....it has to be a gift from God.
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:25 am
i also have had many pets die or run away or we had to sell them to come live in town and my dad doesnt understand, "enjoy life while you have it. you never know when you will pass" and he just doesnt understand me. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:25 am
Glitterbag--

I'm so sorry. Your family will never be the same--except for memories.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:27 am
glitterbag wrote:
Thank you both for the expressions of sympathy. The house is very quiet, too quiet. I miss hearing the sound of her nails clicking on the hard-word and ceramic flooring. There must be a God, because I can't think of a good reason why dogs are so loyal and love us so much....it has to be a gift from God.

It's very sad to say but animals don't have souls so when we pass on we will never be able to have a pet for all eternity and sometimes it makes me cry a little at night.-never having a pet again
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:27 am
clubpenguinrocks wrote:
you can get a new pet. no pet is as good the one you loved best, the first one, and the most understanding one but get a new pet while you still have a life on the earth. enjoy your life while you got it. you never know when you're gonna pass away...

Well the glitterbags will always have space in their home for more four legged friends. But Chloe left this earth 15 months after my other dog, Sadie died and I need a little time to grieve. If my number comes up this morning, not much I can do about that. However, I'm not planning on opting out anytime soon, so when the time is right we will give up being dog-less.
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:30 am
my family and i have had many pets that died and now that i research all my pets and living conditions to be domesticated, i realized why they all died on us. (i am only 11 years by the way and not a professor but 11 year olds can research can't they?)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:35 am
clubpenguinrocks wrote:
glitterbag wrote:

It's very sad to say but animals don't have souls so when we pass on we will never be able to have a pet for all eternity and sometimes it makes me cry a little at night.-never having a pet again

Well that is a comforting thought, and how thoughtfull of you to share this belief with me 2 days after my dog passed on. I'm not a betting person, but I would take odds that God welcomes all of his creatures into the afterlife.

I think you probably do love animals, but if your animals are running away or being sold when you move to different places, perhaps you are not in the best position to be a care-taker of a dog. It is a serious responsiblity when you bring a living creature into your home, you must make sure the animal is well nourished, gets proper medical attention, and is responsibly supervised. Dogs need to be part of the pack, and in our homes we are part of the dog pack. To deprive them of this simple pleasure is cold and unnatural.
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:37 am
we are thinking of moving life into the country. we will have all sorts of animals and lots of money- which i dont know how we will get
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:41 am
we loved our dog and it would never run away and it barked a lot and all our neighbors had dogs so we had to sell Oreo, our black labrador retriever. sometimes i still go and visit Oreo and it just jumps on me happily and we play
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:48 am
Sweet heart, if you are truly 11 years old, you are too young to participate on this forum. Speaking as a mother, I agree that you can do research and that is a healthy thing. But if you are going to share your nascent pearls of wisdom, you truly need a little more life experience under your belt. It's obvious that you feel a need to help, but it is unwise to assume that the adults posting here have as little life experience as most 11 year olds. I am not trying to insult you, you are very young and with time comes wisdom. You will in all likelihood grow up to be a very savvy person and hopefully one who understands compassion. So while you are doing your research, I urge you to concentrate on reading some of the classics. It's a wonderful way to connect to the people who came before us and to learn that there are no new feelings, just new people learning to cope as our ancestors did before us. Good luck.
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:54 am
okay but whenever you need information about something or high quality pixel graphics dont come cryin to me

( i only cried when i was little and just learing about God)
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:58 am
Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:08 am
glitterbag wrote:
Sweet heart, if you are truly 11 years old, you are too young to participate on this forum. Speaking as a mother, I agree that you can do research and that is a healthy thing. But if you are going to share your nascent pearls of wisdom, you truly need a little more life experience under your belt. It's obvious that you feel a need to help, but it is unwise to assume that the adults posting here have as little life experience as most 11 year olds. I am not trying to insult you, you are very young and with time comes wisdom. You will in all likelihood grow up to be a very savvy person and hopefully one who understands compassion. So while you are doing your research, I urge you to concentrate on reading some of the classics. It's a wonderful way to connect to the people who came before us and to learn that there are no new feelings, just new people learning to cope as our ancestors did before us. Good luck.

I don't need life experience! I've had enough of that! I've had so many pets before and i think i know if i need life experience! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:10 am
Well this is new to me. I have never been stalked while discussing the love and loss of beloved animals. Please find some other way to spend this morning, your comments regarding the loss of my dog are inappropriate and frankly, this is not about you. And for God's sake, learn another way to communicate besides posting an emoticon.
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:12 am
don't tell me what to do. i am outta this board. theres no reason why an eleven year old cant come on to a website to know stuff
0 Replies

clubpenguinrocks

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:13 am
besides, do what you want in America, its a FREE COUNTRY!!!
0 Replies