Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:17 am
Hi all,
Trying to finish a puzzle not sure if answers are right. 21A i got cukold, 28A i got beets and 145A i got grays. Can anyone tell me if these r correct answers please. Sad Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:10 am
Slight problem, speedycat. Not being equipped with amazing telepathic powers, or super-duper powered by steam electric telescopic spectacles, we can't see the crossword grid, or the clues either. So we are not in a position to help you.

If the previous paragraph seems hard to understand, try reading it again, s-l-o-w-l-y.

One thing I can tell you for sure, that ain't how you spell "cuckold"! I doubt if "grays" is a correct answer either, since it is not an English word.

Sorry!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:22 am
Contrex: you're really spot on! Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

epenthesis

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:24 am
Very nearly speedycat it's: cooked green beans.
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:25 am
crossword
Hi speedycat
The crossword you are referring to is Lovatts July Demon, this is what you should have put as your subject. It takes a bit of time to get used to this site but you will find many people willing to help.
Now you answers, 21a cuckold is correct
28a I have blots (ink spots)
145a grays is correct.
Good Luck and please post again if you need help.
Tuesday
0 Replies

epenthesis

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:31 am
If inkblots is the clue and your answer is beets then may we look forward to further correspondence?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 05:28 am
Hi speedycat.

Firstly as no one had the courtesy to do this, I welcome you to a2k, there are many people here willing to help you as long as you follow the suggestions put forward by Australia's Ace Crossword solver Tuesday.

Quietly look at similar previous postings and you'll soon get the hang of it how to frame your questions. I have completed the Demon and can verify Tuesday's submissions, they are 100% correct!

Good luck with your entry.

Contrex and Francis perhaps your English is not as good as you thought. Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 05:56 am
Hi, Dutchy!

I've no special claim or pretense about my English, nor have I any particular thought about it.

But I'd like to see you or one of the other crossword geeks try to solve a grid without any definition, as we are supposed to do...
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:17 am
Hi Francis

I entirely agree with you, but don't you think it behoves us that we should try and give a 'newbie' a few guidelines as to how to proceed with future postings?

I'm the first to admit it takes a little while to get the feel of the threads, hence I've explained numerous times to newbies on this particular thread that not everybody knows about Lovatts, where 99% of the questions stem from.

My advice has always been, quote the name of the puzzle and magazine, full clue, numbers of letters and any letters they may already have in this manner ??o?s (blots).

Francis your English is perfect, much better than this kangaroo catcher from the land downunder. Bon soir mon ami. Smile
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 06:21 am
Just wondering, was this the crossword or the cross word thread! Shocked

Behave yourselves gentlemen..

Laughing

Lunch break over, catch you this evening!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:08 am
Thanks for the lecture, Dutchy. Or was it a sermon?

Quote:
it behoves us that

That is not good English. The verb "behoves" is used with the infinitive of a verb, very often "to be"

It behoves us to be careful.

It behoves us to be diligent.
0 Replies

speedycat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:26 pm
July Demon
Thank-you everyone for your help. Sorry about not explaining it was the july demon. Thanx Dutchy for your help on how to post a question i will remember for next time. There is 1 last answer i'm having trouble with in the lovatts july demon and that is 69D i have GHATS as the answer i found on google but cant find it in dictionary. Once again thank-you everyone and i will try and help you if i can. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:37 pm
Hi speedycat

You are referring to 68d down ofcourse. Smile

GHATS is the correct answer, you can find the folowing description of the word 'ghat' in the Encarta Dictionary as well as many others. You probably stuck the plural word in Google, which brings up a Mountain Range.

"steps to river bank: in South Asia, a place on a river bank with steps down to the water, especially one where people bathe as a sacred rite or one near which the dead are cremated"
0 Replies

speedycat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:44 pm
Thanx Dutchy for all your help. If i can return the favour i will try good luck to you with the crosswords.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:05 pm
contrex wrote:
Thanks for the lecture, Dutchy. Or was it a sermon?

Quote:
it behoves us that

That is not good English. The verb "behoves" is used with the infinitive of a verb, very often "to be"

It behoves us to be careful.

It behoves us to be diligent.

Fair suck of the sav Contrex, don't spit the dummy and stop grinning like a shot fox or you'll come a gutser, fair dinkum us Aussies are dinky-di and as cunning as a dunny rat, so watch it when you're talking about good English. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies