Idiot Bishop says floods are judgment on society; Gays fault

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:27 am
Floods are judgment on society, say bishops
By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Sunday Telegraph
01/07/2007
Telegraph UK

The floods that have devastated swathes of the country are God's judgment on the immorality and greed of modern society, according to senior Church of England bishops.

The Bishop said pro-gay laws were to blame for the floods

One diocesan bishop has even claimed that laws that have undermined marriage, including the introduction of pro-gay legislation, have provoked God to act by sending the storms that have left thousands of people homeless.

While those who have been affected by the storms are innocent victims, the bishops argue controversially that the flooding is a result of Western civilisation's decision to ignore biblical teaching.

The Rt Rev Graham Dow, Bishop of Carlisle, argued that the floods are not just a result of a lack of respect for the planet, but also a judgment on society's moral decadence.

"This is a strong and definite judgment because the world has been arrogant in going its own way," he said. "We are reaping the consequences of our moral degradation, as well as the environmental damage that we have caused."

The bishop, who is a leading evangelical, said that people should heed the stories of the Bible, which described the downfall of the Roman empire as a result of its immorality.

"We are in serious moral trouble because every type of lifestyle is now regarded as legitimate," he said.

"In the Bible, institutional power is referred to as 'the beast', which sets itself up to control people and their morals. Our government has been playing the role of God in saying that people are free to act as they want," he said, adding that the introduction of recent pro-gay laws highlighted its determination to undermine marriage.

"The sexual orientation regulations [which give greater rights to gays] are part of a general scene of permissiveness. We are in a situation where we are liable for God's judgment, which is intended to call us to repentance."

He expressed his sympathy for those who have been hit by the weather, but said that the problem with "environmental judgment is that it is indiscriminate".

The West is also being punished for the way that it has exploited poorer nations in its pursuit of economic gain. "It has set up dominant economic structures that are built on greed and that keep other nations in a situation of dependence. The principle of God's judgment on nations that have exploited other nations is all there in the Bible," he said.

He urged people to respond to the latest floods by turning away from a lifestyle of greed to instead live thinking of the consequences of their actions.

Global warming has been caused by people's lack of care for the planet and recent environmental catastrophes are a warning over how we behave, according to the Bishop of Liverpool.

"People no longer see natural disasters as an act of God," said the Rt Rev James Jones. "However, we are now reaping what we have sown. If we live in a profligate way then there are going to be consequences," said the bishop, who has previously been seen as a future Archbishop of Canterbury or York.

"We have a responsibility in this and God is exposing us to the truth of what we have done."

The Rt Rev Richard Chartres, Bishop of London, said: "We are all part of the problem and part of the solution. Instead of living as if we owned the earth we need to recover a sense of being participants in a web of life with responsibilities to other life forms and to our children."

The Bishops' warnings came as flood-hit communities were being warned to brace themselves for more torrential rain this weekend, with the Met Office issuing a severe weather warning for large areas of England and Wales, with up to 50mm (2in) of rain forecast.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,207 • Replies: 13
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:33 am
Quote:
"We are all part of the problem and part of the solution. Instead of living as if we owned the earth we need to recover a sense of being participants in a web of life with responsibilities to other life forms and to our children."

Hear, hear! Totally agreed.

But... Um, does this guy realize the flooding is also taking place in Texas and Oklahoma where there are no gays and certainly no laws recognizing them? I mean, it's happening where men are REAL MEN, not places like LA, forgodssakes, so I'm thinking his theory may be off a bit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:35 am
That's true. There are totally no gays in those states. But if there were it would be a don't ask don't tell situation.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 11:13 am
Oh puhleeze! Yesterday a friend and I went to a gay pride parade in St. Pete. Of course there were the requisite bible bangers on the scene threatening fire and brimstone. Yuk! What pleased me was that there were a number of floats sponsored by church groups supporting the cause of gay people.

What I found delightful was the overall sense of great humanity in the group that lined the streets. People were friendly, polite and helpful.

I am just so sick of the hate that is disseminated in the guise of righteousness.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm
If God uses indiscriminate methods of punishment that hurt innocent people and fail to impact most of the "guilty", how do the bishops know what God is really mad about?

Were any trees uprooted and swept away by the floodwaters? Perhaps that was God's warning to the bishops to take the logs out of their own eyes before seeking to remove specks from other people's eyes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:17 pm
squinney wrote:
But... Um, does this guy realize the flooding is also taking place in Texas and Oklahoma where there are no gays and certainly no laws recognizing them? I mean, it's happening where men are REAL MEN, not places like LA, forgodssakes, so I'm thinking his theory may be off a bit.

I agree. The data better supports my theory that these floods are a punishment of Poseidon for all those Southern Christians believing in Jehova.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:35 pm
Thomas
Thomas wrote:
squinney wrote:

I agree. The data better supports my theory that these floods are a punishment of Poseidon for all those Southern Christians believing in Jehova.

Well it's not as dangerous to believe in Poseidon than to be a pagan.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 03:26 pm
Zeus bless you for saying that, BBB.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:47 am
Thomas
Thomas wrote:
Zeus bless you for saying that, BBB.

Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:43 am
Re: Idiot Bishop says floods are judgment on society; Gays f
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The Bishops' warnings came as flood-hit communities were being warned to brace themselves for more torrential rain this weekend, with the Met Office issuing a severe weather warning for large areas of England and Wales, with up to 50mm (2in) of rain forecast.

Brothers and sisters, let us all turn to number 666 in our hymnals and sing:

Hi - Hi! We're your Weather Girls - Ah-huh -
And have we got news for you - You better listen!
Get ready, all you lonely girls
and leave those umbrellas at home. - Alright! -

Humidity is rising - Barometer's getting low
According to all sources, the street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining men.

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

God bless Mother Nature, she's a single woman too
She took off to heaven and she did what she had to do
She taught every angel to rearrange the sky
So that each and every woman could find her perfect guy
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Men! Ame---------nnnn!

I feel stormy weather / Moving in about to begin
Hear the thunder / Don't you lose your head
Rip off the roof and stay in bed

God bless Mother Nature, she's a single woman too
She took off to heaven and she did what she had to do
She taught every angel to rearrange the sky
So that each and every woman could find her perfect guy
It's Raining Men! Yeah!

Humidity is rising - Barometer's getting low
According to all sources, the street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining men.

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:49 am
Terry wrote:
If God uses indiscriminate methods of punishment that hurt innocent people and fail to impact most of the "guilty", how do the bishops know what God is really mad about?

And how do you know the Bishops are wrong?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 02:11 pm
There's flooding in Kansas now too. Kansans are gods second chosen, so the Bishop has to be wrong.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:33 pm
And how do you know the Bishops are wrong?
The "Rainbow Covenant" (See Genesis 9:11)
Bishops missed this one!

Wars, pestilences, famines, earthquakes, skyrocketing prices, people's attitudes. These are evidences with Bible backing.

Most current calamities we face are more "man made." What the Bible calls the "great tribulation" will lead to the next Divine intervention. (See Matthew 24:21, 22 and Revelation 7:9, 14) Definitely will be more survivors than the flood though, for sure!
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:36 pm
punishment of Poseidon
If that's true, Poseidon better watch out.
0 Replies