Australians reject role for Prince William

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:10 am
Ah, Brittish royalty. This is what happens when cousins marry. ---BBB

Australians reject role for Prince William
By Nick Squires in Sydney
30/06/2007
Telegraph UK

Australia yesterday rejected a suggestion that Prince William could become governor-general.

The nation reacted indignantly to claims in a new biography of Diana, Princess of Wales that the prince would love the ceremonial position.

Even the prime minister John Howard, a monarchist, said that only an Australian could fulfil the role.

"We have embraced the idea that the person who occupies that post should be an Australian citizen," he said.

Kevin Rudd, the leader of the opposition Labor Party, said: "There is a great place for the royals - in Britain."

Mr Rudd said it would be "party, party, party" at the governor-general's residence in Canberra if Prince William got the job.

The Diana Chronicles, written by Tina Brown, claims that Prince William is keen to take on the role.

Miss Brown said the Royal Family supported the idea. "They would like that very much," she told The Australian Women's Weekly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:16 am
To bloody right mate!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:48 pm
Personally, I don't think we actually need a GG, but given that we appear to be stuck with the position & the requirement to appoint someone to it .... well, of course, it should be an Australian!

(Me, I'm guessing that Prince William just wants to get as far away from his family as he can! And who can blame him? :wink: )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 02:09 am
But the only source for this is the new biography about the life of Princess Diana, right?

According to the Times

Quote:
Prince Charles in 1994 confirmed his flirtation with becoming Governor-General of Australia, telling The Australian newspaper that the "splendid" atmosphere in Australia and the "give a bloke a go" outlook attracted him to the country.

:wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 02:14 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But the only source for this is the new biography about the life of Princess Diana, right?

According to the Times

Quote:
Prince Charles in 1994 confirmed his flirtation with becoming Governor-General of Australia, telling The Australian newspaper that the "splendid" atmosphere in Australia and the "give a bloke a go" outlook attracted him to the country.

:wink:

Absolutly spot on about the source walter. I picked that up on the first report I heard and dismissed it as a publicity stunt for the book.
0 Replies