Does atheism eliminate the soul?

stuh505

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 06:41 pm
Soul is a very ambiguous and misunderstood word/concept.

A human a self-reproducing biological machine with self awareness and this self awareness is somehow connected with the ability be aware of and guide it's own thought computation. The extent of this relationship is completely unknown and can only be speculated.

Atheists recognize that we have this, we call it a consciousness like everyone else, and we also understand that it is closely linked to our physical bodies.

Basically the only difference is that most religious people think that the soul is SEPARATE from the body, in that it continues to exist after the body dies. This viewpoint is quite silly, as there is a great deal of proof that consciousness requires physical energy broken down from food to exist.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 12:02 am
stuh,

That response which starts with the idea of a "machine" is straight "naive realism". As explained previously I am not advocating the existence of "souls" as some form of "individual consciousness" but how can we rule out the physical brain as a receiver or transducer of field phenomena ? We tend to forget that the concept of "physicality" is itself a product of consciousness !
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 01:07 am
Like Hume pointed out, it is a logical leap to go from the perception of experience to conclusions of causation.

But at some point, at some level, we take the concept of physicality commonsensically as a given--as a necessity as stated in an earlier post.

The difference is that some people (actually, most people) place greater importance phisicality, the approach from common sense; and others place it on consciousness, the approach from logic.

This, however, doesn't affect the argument that stuh is making within the parameters that he's defined, i.e. the soul as consciousness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:12 am
Does atheism eliminate the soul?

I would certainly hope so. Seriously, if you understand that an atheist is unlikely to believe that there were a soul, why would you ask if someone will believe that what they believe will eliminate what they don't believe exists in the first place?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:09 am
fresco wrote:
stuh,

That response which starts with the idea of a "machine" is straight "naive realism". As explained previously I am not advocating the existence of "souls" as some form of "individual consciousness" but how can we rule out the physical brain as a receiver or transducer of field phenomena ? We tend to forget that the concept of "physicality" is itself a product of consciousness !

I agree we cannot rule out the possibility that the brain acts as a receiver or transducer of some yet-unknown field -- I think this is a very real possibility. But that's not a soul, and it doesn't contradict my previous statement Smile

What we can rule out is the possibility that our consciousness continues to function without a physical brain, which is the very premise of a soul -- so even if the basic field which its energy comes from continues to be conserved/exist in some form, that's not a soul, and its not a unique identity associated with an individual.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:04 pm
Belief in an immortal soul can be independent of belief in gods, but I suspect that most people who logically reject the idea of magical beings would also logically reject the idea that any kind of consciousness could exist without some kind of physical mechanism for data acquisition, processing and storage.

The brain seems to operate like a computer that generates its own signals rater than like a TV that requires an external signal. Specific kinds of brain damage impair consciousness in specific ways, and they couldn't all be attributed to interference with reception. That in itself argues against an external source.

What makes us unique individuals is the genetic variations in brain structure and biochemistry that we were born with, combined with the neural connections made in response to sensory input that our brains use to construct our personal experience of reality.

After the brain rots, how could our memories be stored and accessed? How could we intercept the photons or detect the molecules of matter that provide information about what is going on around us without eyes, ears, and fingers? How could we communicate with anther non-embodied spirit if there is no physical way for signals to be generated or received?

If there is some kind of field phenomena as fresco postulates, where did the original consciousness come from that generates and transmits it, and did that consciousness design us so that we could receive its transmissions?

IMO, the belief in conscious force fields or immortal souls should be termed naïve mysticism.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:26 pm
Terry wrote:
If there is some kind of field phenomena as fresco postulates, where did the original consciousness come from that generates and transmits it, and did that consciousness design us so that we could receive its transmissions?

I believe you are misunderstanding. It would not be generated from consciousness. I believe he is suggesting that consciousness is another form of energy which would conform to conservation of energy. It is like saying that a light bulb uses electromagnetic energy...but it doesn't have a soul, and there is nothing about electromagnetic energy that is tied to an individual light bulb -- they dont have souls.

Quote:
IMO, the belief in conscious force fields or immortal souls should be termed naïve mysticism.

IMO, it is very naive to say that...considering that we know for a fact that consciousness is not described by the existing set of laws of physics. Our current laws describe only the presence and form of energy...we have no laws that can be used to explain awareness or free-thought, both of which are things that cannot be built up from the fundamental laws that only describe energy distribution and form.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 04:13 pm
Stuh, if fresco's field is not conscious, how does it produce consciousness when it interacts with the brain?

And if it is not conscious, how is it different from any other field (electromagnetic or otherwise) caused by physical phenomena?

What makes you think that consciousness cannot be explained by the existing laws of chemistry and physics, given that every function of the brain that we have measured so far conforms to those laws?

Do you believe that anything that science has not yet explained must therefore have a supernatural cause?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 04:37 pm
Stuh and Terry,

My point is simply that whatever "consciousness" is, it cannot be assumed that it is a function of brain alone. This does not imply "the supernatural". As stuh correctly says, this gives no support for the notion of "individual souls" but it does leave the door open for non-reductionist views of "life" including "nested systems" models. We might speculate from a macro level for example that "individuality" is no more significant in humans than it is in insect colonies or blood cells bound together by holistic functionality. The significance of "soul" is at the individual level, and if we deconstruct the "individual" then "its soul" dissipates.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 05:27 pm
Fresco, you can speculate all you like, but do you have any evidence whatsoever of the necessity for or existence of "nested systems" or any higher order of consciousness?

If not, why shouldn't we assume that consciousness is a function of brain alone?
0 Replies

VSPrasad

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 08:52 pm
The Hinduism has more details about soul. The Almighty is called
Parama Atma (Infinite Soul). The Advaitha theory states that
a soul (Atma) is finite piece of Parama Atma.

Acceptance of soul amounts to accepting the existence of Parama Atma.
Atheists, at some point of argument, will sense that implication and try
to go against it.

"Our two minds .... One is an act of the emotional
mind, the other of the rational mind. In a very real
sense we have two minds, one that thinks and one that
feels" (Daniel Goleman, Emotional Intelligence,
Bloomsbury Publishing, London, 1996, page 8). This
rational mind is also called the faculty of logic and
reason. Spirituality is connected with emotional mind
and atheism is connected with logic and reasoning.

The Upanishads say that these two are opposite in
nature. Modern psychologist also have observed it,
but they are not very sure about it:

"At the same time, reason sometimes clearly seems
to come into conflict with some desires (even
while not being in conflict with others) giving us
the impression that reason is separate from
emotion".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason

The atheists try to use endless number of arguments of logic and
reasoning. They can do so because 'logic' has that drawback:

In the 1930s, Austrian mathematician Godel proved a
theorem which became the "Godel theorem" in cognition
theory. It states that any formalized 'logical' system
in principle cannot be complete in itself. It means
that a statement can always be found that can be
neither disproved nor proved using the means of that
particular system. To discuss about such a statement,
one must go beyond that very logic system; otherwise
nothing but a vicious circle will result. Psychologist
say that any experience is contingent - it's opposite
is logically possible and hence should not be treated
as contradictory.

http://www.miskatonic.org/godel.html
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:41 pm
Terry,

The word "evidence" is predicated on a dualisn which traditionally separates observer from observed. The "systems approach" as exemplified by the Santiago theoty of cognition views "consciousness" as an epiphenomenon of "cognition" which itself is synonymous with "the general life process". Within this paradigm the human brain may be significant mainly in terms of "linguistic abstractions" which seem to have a "self" as one such abstraction. Other structures such as the auto-immune system appoear to display equally subtle "intelligence" to standard "consciousness". Second order cybernetics (the observation of observation) constitutes part of the formal paradigm of nested systems and therefore avoids the pitfalls of single level dualism such as those implied by Godels incompleteness theorem mentioned above.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 12:14 am
Quote:
What makes you think that consciousness cannot be explained by the existing laws of chemistry and physics, given that every function of the brain that we have measured so far conforms to those laws?

That is incorrect. There are two fundamental observations of the brain that are not explained by physics, and one of them appears to contradict existing physical laws.

As previously noted, laws of physics / chemistry / biology can only describe the state of energy, including form, position, movement, etc. These laws, coupled with an understanding our perspective and scale, allow us to make physical predictions.

For example, if we want to explain why something feels hot, we can say that the molecules have high kinetic energy, meaning that they are bouncing around fast, and we have certain biological neurons which are designed to detect this change in kinetic energy (through some mechanical means) and then an action potential can be sent along a voltage gated channel etc. Each step of this process can be understood at the quark level, and simply seeing a snapshot of the positions and states of all particles in the system gives complete knowledge.

That was heat. Light, sound, feeling/texture, explosions, chemical reactions, state changes, etc...all these things can be described simply in terms of the position and state of energetic particles involved.

There are VERY few things which science cannot explain in terms of an energy configuration. One of them is the origin of the universe; the singularity, or whatever other theory you want to call into play. The creation of a universe from nothing cannot be explained in terms of energy.

The second is awareness. By manipulating energy, it is fundamentally possible to create an arbitrarily complex machine capable of doing practically anything -- where "doing" is defined by manipulating the energy state around it. But being aware of oneself cannot, at present, be defined by any set of particles.

Thirdly, there is our apparent ability to make choices. This is strongly connected to our ability to be aware, because our awareness is used to drive our choices. But it is also fundamentally different, because one could imagine a machine that was aware of itself but incapable of using that awareness to control itself; like an observer of itself in a movie. We don't have proof that we are capable of making choices. It may be an illusion. It may be that our actions are deterministic, in which case, we do not actually make a choice. But if that is the case, then it is a very good illusion. At present, most people would agree that given a system containing a human, the actions of that human cannot be determined by the configuration of matter and energy in the human's brain -- but rather that the human is capable of somehow pulling a decision out of some ethereal plane, from some consciousness "outside" of the system, and using that to control its body. I am not saying that I subscribe to this belief. If free will is true, then this violates modern physics.

I do not pretend to have the answers to these questions. If I could answer them, I would consider myself the luckiest man alive. But I DO recognize that they are not explained by modern physics, and this does have 1 simple undeniable factual conclusion: there are more laws.

Terry wrote:
Stuh, if fresco's field is not conscious, how does it produce consciousness when it interacts with the brain?

I don't say that it does. But as I have explained above, there appears to be a whole area of science left unexplained, and past experience has shown that this type of phenomena may be associated with fields. For example, light, electricity, magnetism, cohesion of matter, were explained by fields. Therefore, I do not reject the possibility that a field is involved in this yet unexplained phenomena..and given that it has no observational relationship to any existing fields, it would likely be an as yet unknown field.

Quote:
Do you believe that anything that science has not yet explained must therefore have a supernatural cause?

Yes, but it is not a belief, it is simply the definition of the word "supernatural."

Quote:
1. of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:30 am
Re: Does atheism eliminate the soul?
Foofie wrote:
However, would this imply that the atheist also doesn't believe in a soul?

No it wouldn't. It might imply the soul is mortal, but atheists certainly do believe that humans have souls. Many, however, prefer to refer to it as "consciousness", "self-awareness", and other more religiously neutral terms.

Foofie wrote:
Could a soul have evolved in a Darwinian evolution sans god?

Why not? If you're interested in how it could have evolved, the philosopher Daniel Dennett explains it at length in his book Freedom Evolves. Briefly, neurons have evolved in a Darwinian evolution sans god, souls are a particular pattern in which those neurons fire, and natural selection can work on these patterns in a similar way as it can work on genes. If souls help their brains survive, they will be selected for.

Foofie wrote:
Perhaps, we need a new word to describe those that don't believe we have a soul? Soulless? Sanssoul?

The word "behaviorist" is pretty close to what you want.

Foofie wrote:
In fact, if one doesn't believe in a soul, does that make the non-belief in a god a non-sequitor for all intensive (and religious) purposes?

I'd go even farther -- it makes the religious purposes themselves a non-sequitor.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:40 am
stuh.

Good answers above !

The problem word is of course "explanation" and its linkage with "prediction and control". In a universe where "time" is not a priori, both "prediction" and "control" cease to have such significance.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
fresco wrote:
The word "evidence" is predicated on a dualisn which traditionally separates observer from observed.

That linguistic dodge won't work. If you don't have any evidence, just say so.
Quote:
The "systems approach" as exemplified by the Santiago theoty of cognition views "consciousness" as an epiphenomenon of "cognition" which itself is synonymous with "the general life process".

???? "Cognition" is NOT synonymous with "the general life process"! Bacteria and plants are alive but they don't think.
Quote:
Other structures such as the auto-immune system appoear to display equally subtle "intelligence" to standard "consciousness".

What makes you think that auto-immune systems are either intelligent or conscious? They react unthinkingly, and may even harm or kill the organism (allergic reactions, MS and other auto-immune diseases).
Quote:
Second order cybernetics (the observation of observation) constitutes part of the formal paradigm of nested systems and therefore avoids the pitfalls of single level dualism such as those implied by Godels incompleteness theorem mentioned above.

We may observe ourself observing, we may observe others observing, but where is the evidence of higer-level consciousness, such as the universe observing us?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:30 pm
stuh505 wrote:
There are VERY few things which science cannot explain in terms of an energy configuration. One of them is the origin of the universe; the singularity, or whatever other theory you want to call into play. The creation of a universe from nothing cannot be explained in terms of energy.

I don't know of anyone scientist who thinks that the universe was created from nothing, and as long as positive and negative energy are equal, quite a lot of universe can arise from a very small precursor.
Quote:
The second is awareness. By manipulating energy, it is fundamentally possible to create an arbitrarily complex machine capable of doing practically anything -- where "doing" is defined by manipulating the energy state around it. But being aware of oneself cannot, at present, be defined by any set of particles.

Why could a machine not become aware of itself, if it had the requisite circuits?

Awareness is probably not a "set of particles" but may arise from patterns of electrical impulses zipping around in the brain at various frequencies.
Quote:
At present, most people would agree that given a system containing a human, the actions of that human cannot be determined by the configuration of matter and energy in the human's brain -- but rather that the human is capable of somehow pulling a decision out of some ethereal plane, from some consciousness "outside" of the system, and using that to control its body. I am not saying that I subscribe to this belief. If free will is true, then this violates modern physics.

I don't know that most people would agree. I certainly wouldn't. I think that my decisions come from neural networks which add and subtract neurons (links to memories and senses) and are moderated by biochemical feelings until a decision is reached.

I don't think it is possible - or necessary - to pull decisions from some mythical external field, although other people and events may affect your final decision.

How is free will a violation of modern physics? Surely quantum uncertainty applies here.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 02:29 pm
Terry wrote:
I don't know of anyone scientist who thinks that the universe was created from nothing, and as long as positive and negative energy are equal, quite a lot of universe can arise from a very small precursor.

Creation of the universe isn't necessarily generation of new energy, it is simply the breaking of equilibrium. There are two "basic" possibilities: case 1: energy and physical laws have existed for all time in their present state, case 2: energy and physical laws were created at the time of the big bang.

In order to be in camp 2, you are forced to admit that some OTHER laws were in existence for all time, because something had to start the big bang and create matter and antimatter from a previous state -- something not abiding by modern laws of science.

Quote:

Quote:
Why could a machine not become aware of itself, if it had the requisite circuits?

It is obvious that a machine CAN become aware of itself given the requisite circuits. All you have to do is assembly a bunch of particles into the configuration of a human brain, and it will become conscious. This is an undebatable fact, evidenced by humanity.

Quote:
Awareness is probably not a "set of particles" but may arise from patterns of electrical impulses zipping around in the brain at various frequencies.

Awareness is not a set of particles. Like all phenomena, it is a result of interactions between particles or other fundamental quanta (or perhaps I should just say "things" because quanta may be too restrictive). Yes, it may very well arise from specific patterns of electrical impulses at various frequencies....

You're really not getting it, are you? Imagine that particles have only 2 states; speed and position. There is also a set of laws associated with the space. These laws therefore only operate on speed and position. Therefore, they can only describe speed and position. Now we have a red particle and we project it into this space. The color red is ignored. A blue particle also is projected into this space and its color is ignored. The laws of this space only deal with speed and position. Since the space has no representation for color, it is impossible for those laws to explain color. Now, it may very well be the case that color is related to speed and position. For example, color could be related to the distance between particles in the system.

Now let's look at something more familiar, like LIGHT. Go back to the time before we knew that the perception of light was the absorption of photons which are quantized particles that travel in waves and are absorbed, reflected, etc. Before they knew about light, they knew about speed and position of particles. They could use their laws of physics to describe what would happen to a baseball when hit by a bat. But they would come up with the same answer regardless of whether or not there was a flashlight shining a beam of light at the bat. To them, light was not representable in their system, so it was ignored when they projected it into the dimensionality that they could represent ; position and velocity.

Awareness is created by particle interactions in the brain (fact), but we don't know how to represent awareness in a system defined by: position, velocity, acceleration, momentum, charge, spin, time. Until we can define the relationship of awareness to these states, or to possibly additional states or additional particles, awareness CANNOT be explained by physics.

This is not to say that laws defining awareness do not EXIST. Clearly, they DO exist, because awareness exists. But we dont know how -- and you cannot include unknown laws as part of "scientific laws" because science refers to the current set of known laws, not to the ideal future perfect set of laws.

Quote:
I don't know that most people would agree. I certainly wouldn't. I think that my decisions come from neural networks which add and subtract neurons (links to memories and senses) and are moderated by biochemical feelings until a decision is reached.

It sounds like you are confusing ANN's with NN's. There is a huge, huge, difference here. A real neural network is a brain. We dont really understand the brain. An artificial neural network is a pathetically weak abstracted network that encapsulates only the concept of neuron interconnectivity and positive/negative feedback as an iterative solution to gradient descent. I write and use ANN's in my work too, but I am not deceived about their capabilities. You can write a computer program where a bit of information represents whatever you want -- a memory, a sense, an emotion -- but that doesn't make it real.

Quote:
I don't think it is possible - or necessary - to pull decisions from some mythical external field, although other people and events may affect your final decision.

Really...so...does this mean you can also deduce the color of a particle from mathematical laws defined in a system that lacks a representation for color? Because it is exactly the same.

Quote:
How is free will a violation of modern physics? Surely quantum uncertainty applies here.

No, quantum uncertainty absolutely does NOT apply here! Quantum physics model the system as being perfectly random below some level, and they are able to use statistics to make predictions at higher levels based on that. Free will requires a lapse in determinism because it requires a person being capable of making a choice as opposed to their actions being 100% predictable based on their experiences (eg, the matter/energy in their brain). Quantum physics also requires a lapse in determinism because it uses randomness -- but free will does not say that your choice is random, it says that your choice is decided by your awareness. This, of course, is difficult to describe because "choice" and "awareness" are dimensions that currently have no representation in terms of physical particles...which is exactly why choice/awareness cannot be predicted by physical laws!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:57 am
Stuh
Stuh, your excellent description made me wonder, since I'm not a scholar, about the possible similarity of big bang and black holes. As I understand it, when stars are captured by black holes, their matter eventually is ejected into space at the bottom of the black hole.

Now, hold on to your seat. :wink: Is it possible that our current universe is the debries thrust from an ancient black hole? That would be a big bang, wouldn't it?

Would that also mean that it's possible that there is more than one universe?

Don't laugh at me too hard. I have a lot of imagination and tend to think outside the box. I just wonder about a lot of things without the knowledge to know.

BBB
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:16 am
Re: Stuh
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Stuh, your excellent description made me wonder, since I'm not a scholar, about the possible similarity of big bang and black holes. As I understand it, when stars are captured by black holes, their matter eventually is ejected into space at the bottom of the black hole.

Hi BBB, nothing that enters a black hole in our Universe ever leaves. What you are probably thinking of is that some matter which orbits a black hole can form an accretion disk, and some of that matter is ejected near the rotational poles of the hole as a result of various forces (electromagnetic forces are suspected to be one of the causes of black hole jets).

However, it's important to know that nothing is leaving the event horizon of the hole. The matter being ejected is simply matter which has been accelerated by its approach to the black hole sufficiently to throw it away from the hole before entering completely (with an electromagnetic boost).

Hawking Radiation is theorized to leave black holes, but that form of radiation is considered to be 'informationless' (in other words, nothing remains of the structure of the energy/matter which entered the hole).

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Now, hold on to your seat. :wink: Is it possible that our current universe is the debries thrust from an ancient black hole? That would be a big bang, wouldn't it?

Not exactly. The BB is a very different phenomena from an "inverse-black hole", and even the theoretical release of energy from a black hole (sometimes theorized as a white hole) would not account for inflation or the unfolding of space/time which we observe in our Universe.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Would that also mean that it's possible that there is more than one universe?

Don't laugh at me too hard. I have a lot of imagination and tend to think outside the box. I just wonder about a lot of things without the knowledge to know.

Other people have wondered the same things, so your speculation is not that unusual, and certainly nothing to be embarrased about Smile

Best Regards,
0 Replies