Perception is reality. Bella Dea

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:36 am
I must disagree with this.

Lets say for example one day your in the park, and there appears to be no one there when you hear a scream. You move up to see what the sound was about and this is what you see.

You see two men, of them beating the other we a fallen stick from the nearby trees.

Who do you help?
The one is who is beating the other has almost beat the other to death and continues to beat him without knowing that he is being seen.

What is the reality of the situation?

Just cause what you think you see, does not mean it is the truth or reality.

In my mind though these were the different ideas i came up with why he is hitting the first.

1: They were a gay couple and now he is killing his mate, because he cheated on him.
2. The one being beaten tried to rape the first.
3. The one being beaten tried to kill the first.

And on and on.
So my whole point is that what you perceive is not in actuality the complete truth.

Perception is not reality, it is only the beginning of knowing reality and truth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 622 • Replies: 11
No top replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:41 am
Easy. If you're in a position to stop the fight, you do so. It doesn't matter why one guy is beating the other. That is not the way to settle disputes. Even if the guy doing the beating was attacked by the other guy and is now defending himself, he no longer needs to do so now that you are there (assuming you are in a position to be able to stop it).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
Exactly!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:51 am
The reason behind the fight is personal.
And if someone wants to take the time to learn personal reasons before they help someone who is being beaten with a stick, then I would question them.

What one would see as an outsider in this situation would be the current reality no matter HOW the two fighting arrived at that situation.

What ever one did to the other, the end result, and what I would see is one is beating another with a stick.

It wouldnt be advisable to actually "help" one or the other.
If you can physically STOP the fight then do so. But more often , I would guess, would be that the only thing one could do safely so that they could continue to be around is to call police.

I mean, if you want to, you CAN step in, but you yourself might be beaten as well. You cant call anyone then..
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:00 pm
Perception is reality.

I posted because I disagree with this statement, and the person who has it in their sig.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:01 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
Easy. If you're in a position to stop the fight, you do so. It doesn't matter why one guy is beating the other. That is not the way to settle disputes. Even if the guy doing the beating was attacked by the other guy and is now defending himself, he no longer needs to do so now that you are there (assuming you are in a position to be able to stop it).

Yeah I would look for a way to stop the fight too, and sort out the mess later, if it was possible for me to stop the fight without being harmed myself, otherwise I would look for some type of help to stop the fight.

I guess I did not use a very good illustration for my disagreement with that statement, and for that I am sorry.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:22 am
No one said anything about reality being truth.

And this isn't my original idea. It's a part of psychology that no two people see the same thing in the exact same way.

Perception is reality. What we see/believe is reality to us. The "truth" might be the same but everyone's perspective is different. Just because we believe it doesn't make it true and I never claimed it did.

Brush up on your homework before diving into something you obviously don't know much about.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:29 am
Re: Perception is reality. Bella Dea
Scott777ab wrote:

Perception is not reality, it is only the beginning of knowing reality and truth.

So, what is reality and how can you prove that your reality is the same as mine?

You can say that the grass is green, but the color green is much different to me than it is to you because our perception is different (and the way our eyes see and process color). On a "green scale" (if there was such a thing) you say the grass is a 7, but I say it's a 6. In truth, the grass might be an 8 but neither of us would ever know differently because we would never see the grass as an 8. It would always be a 7 or a 6.

Therefore, perception is reality to each of us.

I heard the scream and it was a scream of terror but the guy next to me said he heard the scream and it sounded more like someone screwing around and he didn't perceive any danger.

Get it?

Probably not but that's ok. We can't all "get it".
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:37 am
Regardless of what you perceive the situation to be, in the beating case, that does not at all preclude you from either stopping the fight, getting help, or doing nothing.

People often work against what they perceive as reality.

If, your first perception was they are gay, and you happen to hate all gays (your reality), that wouldn't automatically force you to not do something about the fight.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:39 am
Chai wrote:
Regardless of what you perceive the situation to be, in the beating case, that does not at all preclude you from either stopping the fight, getting help, or doing nothing.

If, your first perception was they are gay, and you happen to hate all gays (your reality), that wouldn't automatically force you to not do something about the fight.

No, but your perception of the situation determins what you will do.

No one ever claimed that perception is truth. Or that even reality is truth. Because we all see thing differently, it can only be determined that reality is not truth, and that no one's perception can be considered true.

What if, in fact, the guy getting beat did attack the other guy first but he did it because he perceived (being the key word here) a threat from the first man? Or say the guy getting beat is getting beat because the first guy perceived insult from something the other guy said to him.

The story scott used is flawed in so many ways I can't even begin....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:42 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai wrote:

No, but your perception of the situation determins what you will do.

No one ever claimed that perception is truth. Or that even reality is truth. Because we all see thing differently, it can only be determined that reality is not truth, and that no one's perception can be considered true.

Oh, I'm agreeing with you Bella, I do believe perception is reality...but reality IMO doesn't always dertermine what a person will do.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:41 pm
Well there's no need to single out a person and put them in a title for an inoffensive signature you obviously don't understand.

My perception of the world is my reality.
I am me, so what other reality is there, for me?
0 Replies