Is it possible to have two religions at the same time?

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:00 pm
I am Christian and am thinking of becoming Muslim as well. Because, basically, they are the same thing. You worship one God (God/Allah) and promote peace. There is not much difference. Also, do you know how I could do this?
Best Wishes,
~Em
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,633 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:12 pm
What immediately comes to my mind is why do you want 2 religions?

The two religions ARE not basically the same thing in any way shape of form. By definition, if you're Christian (believer in Christ), you CANNOT be a Muslim (believer in Mohammed) and vice versa. I think you're a little confused about what it means to be a true believer. Perhaps you might want to study religion first. I mean that with all due respect.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:19 pm
I thought maybe bi, meaning two and ology, for science or study of, But that would be Biology, so that wouldn't work. Or maybe it would be Bilogy . . . Bism?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:38 pm
You apparently do not know much about either religion. Muslims do not see Jesus as the Son of God or godlike, Christians do. The very definition of Christianity is believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ. A true Muslim knows no god but Allah. I suggest you learn more about the core of these beliefs before deciding on anything. Perhaps you should not only read religious books, but also secular books about religions.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:41 pm
if you believe there is one god and one rep with many names but they're all the same you might want to explore the ba hai faith.

Or just have some hand cut potato chips and a cold Sam Adams
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 07:58 pm
By the beard of the prophet you will burn in hell for the rest of your next life.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:15 pm
I'm going to go on a limb here and say that yes you can. If I understand you correctly, you see elements in both religions you identify with, you have a hard time branding yourself with one religion because you wish to endorse the shared and exclusive ideals of each religion.

I say go for it.

There are far too many people in this world who will tell you what to believe, and more that will tell you how to believe in it. Ultimately isn't one's spirituality a personal endeavor? Do as you wish, and you owe nobody and explanation.

Having said that, don't knock on my door selling the Bible or Quran.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:32 pm
I'm not telling anyone what to believe here. You categorically can't have 2 religions...particularly Islam and Christianity That is totally antithetical and illogical.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:19 pm
Islams hates Christians. You'd have to kill yourself. I advise against it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:02 pm
You could start a new religion. Pick out the best pieces of both the muslim and christian faiths. Slap in a few of your own rules get an outlandish orange robe and call your self Baagwhaan.

But best of all you could stop paying tax on all church held buildings and income.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:36 pm
Depends on the two religions. Japan has had Shinto and Buddhism coexisting for centuries. Most people practice both. The contexts they're used in are different and complementary. Buddhism seems to coexist for many people with another religion. For one thing, major strains of Buddhism don't have anything that corresponds to a Western-religion god, so that doesn't necessarily generate a conflict. However I tend to agree with the others that Christianity and Islam aren't gonna work together too well.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:42 pm
Instead of having more, consider having fewer. It's perfectly possible to live a satisfying and fulfilling life with no gods in it at all, considering that the evidence for the existence of any does not even rise to the level of circumstantial.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:59 am
Why do you need to belong to a religion at all let alone two? What you believe is entirely up to you - is it more valuable to you if you give it a label?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 04:32 am
Ragman wrote:
I'm not telling anyone what to believe here. You categorically can't have 2 religions...particularly Islam and Christianity That is totally antithetical and illogical.

Ragman- But religion itself, by its reliance on faith, is by definition, illogical. So I would suppose that a blending of "the best of" two or even more religions would not make it MORE illogical. Perhaps if the illogicality were heightened, it would make the religion even more satisfying to the believer.

As for one religion being the antethesis of another, there are so many contradictions within one religion, that combining them would not make much difference in the scheme of things.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:23 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
As for one religion being the antethesis of another, there are so many contradictions within one religion, that combining them would not make much difference in the scheme of things.

A-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

That was a good one . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:30 am
cellochick7 wrote:
Is it possible to have two religions at the same time?

Sure. For example, I'm an agnostic and an atheist at the same time. I don't know if gods like Zeus, Yahwe, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster exist, which makes me an agnostic. At the same time, I guess they don't, which makes me an atheist.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:31 am
NickFun wrote:
Islams hates Christians. You'd have to kill yourself. I advise against it.

and the Christian God hates people who kill themselves. Allah evidently really digs it though. Roll the dice, takes your chances.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:34 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Ragman wrote:

Ragman- But religion itself, by its reliance on faith, is by definition, illogical. So I would suppose that a blending of "the best of" two or even more religions would not make it MORE illogical. Perhaps if the illogicality were heightened, it would make the religion even more satisfying to the believer.

I stand and sit corrected. Am I a good Doobie? Perhaps I can start a Doobieism religion?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 09:11 am
Re: Is it possible to have two religions at the same time?
cellochick7 wrote:
I am Christian and am thinking of becoming Muslim as well. Because, basically, they are the same thing. You worship one God (God/Allah) and promote peace. There is not much difference. Also, do you know how I could do this?
Best Wishes,
~Em

Well, I suppose you can combine Christianity and Islam. After all, people reconcile irreconcilable positions all the time. But I doubt that you'd be either a very good Christian or a very good Muslim, since the tenets of those two religions present some insurmountable contradictions. For instance, Christians regard Jesus as the son of god, whereas Muslims regard him merely as a prophet of god.

What you're looking to do, then, is develop some type of syncretic religion, where you combine elements of two or more religions into a sort of theological stew. Be aware, however, that by adhering to that kind of syncretic religion, you're following neither Christianity nor Islam.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 09:23 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and the Christian God hates people who kill themselves. Allah evidently really digs it though.

Apparently he doesn't. See Surah 4:29: "O ye who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves in vanities: But let there be amongst you Traffic and trade by mutual good-will: Nor kill (or destroy) yourselves: for verily Allah hath been to you Most Merciful! "

That's why suicide bombers and their familys take pains not to call it "suicide". They call it "martyrdom" in a war against American and Israeli invaders.
0 Replies