Essential Jazz

panzade

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 08:30 am
It's been said that jazz is derived from the blues. No one illustrates this better in my mind than the great pianist Mose Allison. I collected his albums as a teenager and a girlfriend introduced him to me at a nightclub. I think he was the reason I started gigging on the piano.
http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/july06/images/96_2.jpg
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:12 pm
I vote for Dave Brubeck too! Especially his sexy classic "Take Five."

And let's not forget Gerry Mulligan (unless somebody's already mentioned him!)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:33 pm
Has anyone mentioned Harry James and Benny Goodman? Goodman had the sexiest clarinet ever, IMO. Smooth and mellow as butter, baby. I saw him at the Chicago Jazzfest just a few years before he died.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:50 pm
Stray Cat wrote:

I just listened to Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz show with him...she's not too shabby either
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:53 pm
panzade wrote:
It's been said that jazz is derived from the blues. No one illustrates this better in my mind than the great pianist Mose Allison. I collected his albums as a teenager and a girlfriend introduced him to me at a nightclub. I think he was the reason I started gigging on the piano.
http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/july06/images/96_2.jpg

amen to that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 05:14 pm
panzade wrote:
Stray Cat wrote:

I just listened to Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz show with him...she's not too shabby either

I listen to her almost every week on the jazz station here. I've never googled her. Just who is Marian McPartland?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 05:23 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_McPartland

"Marian McPartland was a musical prodigy from the time she could sit at the piano, about the age of three. Marian studied classical music, and, in addition to piano, has mastered the violin."

I'm a little confused here. If you listened to her every week, why are you asking who she is?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 05:47 pm
Heard Marian at the London Symphony Orchestra in Daytona Beach. She was one fabulous piano player. She was also quite humorous.

(British accent) I understand that one may park their cars on Daytona Beach. My question is, why?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:37 pm
I brought Marian's name up because jazz is pretty much male dominated and McPartland and Mary Lou Williams are both worth listening to.
Can you think of any other female jazz artists?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:41 pm
Jane Bunnett.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:56 pm
Ranee Lee

Suzie Arioli

Ingrid Jensen

Oscar Peterson

Oliver Jones

Dave Young

Mike Murley (mushyPee, go listen to him when he comes through your town)

actually Canada has a lot of really really superb jazz saxophonists

This was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Thank goodness the CBC was recording and put it out on a CD. That night changed me.

Moe Koffman. The Swinging Shepherd Blues. Still recall coming over the hill at Ontario Place and hearing him perform this live.

Hilario Duran

D. D. Jackson

Check out Justin Time Records for some really fine Canadian jazz musicians.

Listen to Tonic with Tim Tamashiro on CBC2 on Saturday/Sunday evenings for some ideas.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:02 pm
Ragman wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_McPartland

"Marian McPartland was a musical prodigy from the time she could sit at the piano, about the age of three. Marian studied classical music, and, in addition to piano, has mastered the violin."

I'm a little confused here. If you listened to her every week, why are you asking who she is?

I know it sounds kooky but, her program comes on the radio station that I listen to while working and it's more background than anything so, although I've heard her program for years, I've never gotten a clear picture of exactly who she is.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:03 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/blog/shows/tonic/

Jowi Taylor's blog on some of the music featured on Tonic lately.

I can't get at their full playlist right now Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:03 pm
panzade wrote:
I brought Marian's name up because jazz is pretty much male dominated and McPartland and Mary Lou Williams are both worth listening to.

for starters (some were referred to earlier a few times)

Billie Holliday
Sarah Vaughan
Ella Fitzgerald
Betty Carter
Carmen McRae (the 'singer's singer')
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:08 pm
Melissa Stylianou

Setanta and I were lucky enough to catch her in performance in December. Bought her Sliding Down c.d. for the hamburgers. She's good.

~~~~~~

Catch Patricia O'Callaghan if she comes through on tour. More of a cabaret singer, but her gift of phrasing is extraordinary and it would be a shame to miss her if you've got a chance to hear her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:10 pm
I love Dave Brubeck, but I also really enjoyed The Brubeck Brothers when I had the opportunity to catch them in performance.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:36 pm
Ragman wrote:
panzade wrote:

for starters (some were referred to earlier a few times)

Billie Holliday
Sarah Vaughan
Ella Fitzgerald
Betty Carter
Carmen McRae (the 'singer's singer')

all singers...but I was searching for instrumentalists
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 04:31 am
Ragman -- Terry Lee Carrington, drums. Now has her own combo, I believe. She was a child prodigy as a drummer here in Boston, a pro at age 13 or 14. She must have some CDs out as I hear her on WGBH jazz programs from time to time.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:59 am
Wow!, panz. I am stunned at the dearth of females who fall in the category of "playing an instrument." I have spent some time searching.

Andy, do you mean Terry Lyne Carrington. I just visited a website that explained all the greats with which she had played drums.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:00 am
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4274/reginaqu7.png

Regina Carter
A wonderful jazz violinist. I saw her open for Abbey Lincoln several years ago.
0 Replies