Essential Jazz

panzade

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:25 pm
patiodog wrote:
And if you're going old New Orleans, don't forget about Bix Beiderbecke, too. The soft note to Armstrong's brassy one.

well...not to be too picky..but Bix played the cornet...Satchmo the trumpet and was a Michigan-Chicago-Midwest player..not much connection to New Orleans
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:35 pm
Didn't know that. Thanks. (Knew about the cornet, not about where he was...)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:42 pm
hey dawg...ever heard his(Bix's)piano piece "In A Mist"?...man, that's something
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:18 pm
panzade wrote:
patiodog wrote:
And if you're going old New Orleans, don't forget about Bix Beiderbecke, too. The soft note to Armstrong's brassy one.

well...not to be too picky..but Bix played the cornet...Satchmo the trumpet and was a Michigan-Chicago-Midwest player..not much connection to New Orleans

Louis was born in New Orleans and started out in small bands and on the riverboats there before heading north to Chicago.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:28 pm
eoe wrote:
panzade wrote:
patiodog wrote:

Louis was born in New Orleans and started out in small bands and on the riverboats there before heading north to Chicago.

I was referring to Bix being from Iowa...but my sentence was awkward eoe
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:30 pm
panzade wrote:
patiodog wrote:

Actually, though Bix Beiderbecke was from Midwest (Iowa), he was greatly influenced by some of the older New Orleans jazz musicians. Panzade's comment is understandable....re the New Orleans 'sound'.

Also FWIW, Louis Armstrong had played coronet as late as 1924 before switching to trumpet.

On a different note (pun intended), I might also recommend some musicians of a more contemporary direction. This form of music is called jazz-rock fusion. These musicians were very popular around early to mid-'70s through '90s...(many or most influenced by Miles Davis). This mixture of rock and jazz is exemplified by artists such as "Mahavishnu Orchestra's" John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham (drummer), Chick Corea (piano), Jan Hammer (electric and acoustic piano), Gary Burton (vibist), Al DeMeola (guitar), Jean-Luc Ponty (violin), as well as Jeff Beck (though not exclusively jazz).

On a different note, I would also look for any vinyl or CDs by Stephane Grappelli, who played in cafes of Paris in '30 and '40s with famed jazz gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt...considered by many leading prof. guitarists as one of the best in world of his time. {Incidentally, Django could arguably be stated as the man who originated the concept of the role of the lead guitar.} Touring USA after the end of WW II, accompanied by Stephane G., Django often opened for Duke Ellington and appeared at Carnegie Hall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Jimi Hendrix admitted to being greatly influenced by Django (Band of Gypsies was reputed to be named in his honor). Django and Grappelli's had a notable hit called "Minor Swing". Look for that when you want to hear their authentic jazz stylings.

Stephan G. also had a revival/rediscovery in USA in the '80s while he was in early 80s (deceased 1997). He played an incredible jazz violin and often played lively standards with an inimitable virtuoso styling. The college crowd rediscovered him and he often played with the likes of Oscar Peterson, Claude Bolling, Paul Simon, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman (mandolinist).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:31 pm
Re: Essential Jazz
mushypancakes wrote:
I've always loved jazz, and I live in a reasonably good city for it.

Looking for new artists to get into.

I know there are people here with a far greater breadth of knowledge than me!

So, who and what would you put on your personal "Essential Jazz" collection?

thanks!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

In addition to those I had mentioned earlier, these artists should be looked up (online on Google or Wikipedia) and listened to:

Scott Joplin
Duke Ellington
Louis Armstrong
Count Basie
Fats Waller
Eubie Blake
Sarah Vaughan
Ella Fitzgerald
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa
Lester Young
Art Tatum
John Coltrane
Miles Davis (in any of his 4 decades and styles)
Charlie Parker
Charles Mingus
Dizzy Gillespie
Quincy Jones
Betty Carter
Coleman Hawkins
Art Blakey/Horace Silver
Charlie Byrd (guitarist)
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Stan Getz
Thelonius Monk
Cannonball Adderly
Dexter Gordon
Tito Puente (latin jazz)
Bill Evans (pianist)
Ramsey Lewis
Keith Jarrett
Pat Metheney (group)
Herbie Hancock
Wynton Marsalis
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:08 am
quoting ragman: "Actually, though Bix Beiderbecke was from Midwest (Iowa), he was greatly influenced by some of the older New Orleans jazz musicians. Panzade's comment is understandable....re the New Orleans 'sound'."

true ragmanin so far as all jazz had migrated out of New Orleans on the river boats and such...in Bix's day
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:32 am
Anyone remember Don Shirley?

http://www.billyates.com/theron/images/dspianosm.jpg

Check out his background. I was really stunned. What a pianist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shirley
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:05 am
Letty wrote:
Anyone remember Don Shirley?

http://www.billyates.com/theron/images/dspianosm.jpg

Check out his background. I was really stunned. What a pianist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shirley

Don was incredible, I attended several of his concerts here in Albuquerque. I especially loved his composition of "Waterboy"
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:56 am
Miller wrote:
Some of the best jazz in Boston, was in the so-called combat zone, where the strippers performed.

Dam, that music was soooooo good!

Ever been to Paul's Mall and The Jazz Workshop back in the day?
(They weren't in the Zone, tho. They were near the Pru.)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:58 am
I sure have. My first jazz concerts ever attended were there. Saw Kirk there....many others. Also at the Newport Jazz Festival...back when it was in its heyday, when promoter/producer George Wein ran it. Wein also ran a Boston Jazz club and restaurant called Storyville (record label too).

While admittedly I didn't go to Combat Zone much, I just can't recall any jazz clubs being there. Wait ..was Storyville located there?

Nope, Storyville was located at the former Buckminster Hotel in Kenmore Square
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:20 pm
Sometimes Shirley embellishes the melody too much for my tastes.

I prefer the simpler sound of Dave McKenna from the Boston area. He's a throwback to the stride era...when the left hand powered the tunes.

Check out his recording of "I Wished On The Moon"...better known as a Billie Holiday jewel.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
panz, I love "You and the Night and the Music", but having dial up complicates things a bit. Is there any way to hear that song via Windows Media Player? I noticed that Dave McKenna did that one.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
let me send it to tou letty
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
Please do, Panz
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:39 am
Ragman wrote:
I sure have. My first jazz concerts ever attended were there. Saw Kirk there....many others. Also at the Newport Jazz Festival...back when it was in its heyday, when promoter/producer George Wein ran it. Wein also ran a Boston Jazz club and restaurant called Storyville (record label too).

While admittedly I didn't go to Combat Zone much, I just can't recall any jazz clubs being there. Wait ..was Storyville located there?

Nope, Storyville was located at the former Buckminster Hotel in Kenmore Square

I remember Storyville as being in the Copley Square Hotel. Now, it may have been in the Buckminster either later or earlier than my memories of it. The Copley Square area was a good venue for jazz in the 1950s. Across the street fro0m Storyville was The Stables on Stuart St. (roughly where the exit from the Mass Pike Extension is now) and down the street on Hungtington Ave. was The Rock and Pat's Pebble Room (in the vicinity of today's Colonnade Hotel). Jazz and Poetry nights were featured at the Pebble Room where local Beat poets -- Ginsburg/Ferlenghetti wannabes all -- read their compositions while students from Berkelee College of Music improvised in the background.

Paul's Mall and The Jazz Workshop were upstart newcomers. By the time they opened, the blocks where the Stable and the Rock had been were all torn down to make way for what's there now. The premier jazz venue of the 1940s and 1950s in Boston was The Hi-Hat at the corner of Columbus and Massachusetts Aves. Jazz DJ Symphony Sid broadcast from there every night and would sometimes interview the musicians appearing, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Illinois Jacquet etc. I would listen to Sid on the radio, being way too young to be served in a nightclub. Just as I was getting close to an age where I might be able to sneak into the Hi-Hat, the joint closed. Damn!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:20 am
great to read your recollections merry...I remember hearing an interview with Syd...he was a cool cat
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:55 am
I saw him once, years later, Pan, not in Boston but New York. After the Hi-Hat closed in Boston, his show soon went off the air, too. I don't know whether the two events were related or not; jazz was no longer the pop music du jour, rock'n'roll had taken center stage by the 1960s. I had stopped at Birdland on 52d Street to hear Maynard Ferguson bring the house down. And there was Symphony Sid, MC-ing the show! He'd moved to NYC and aparently couldn't get a radio gig. That must have been around 1963 or -4.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 08:15 am
Elvis and the Beatles laid waste to Bop 'n Jazz
0 Replies