Australian shepard/border collie mix?

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:26 pm
<biggrin>

Important and fabulous. i dunno if I could handle a blue/red healer, but I like'm.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:32 pm
They are FANTASTIC if kept busy and well trained.

They are happiest when working, or going to work with you in your ute and supervising building sites and such.

But...they're nippy...bred to nip at the heels of cattle (hence the heeler) and tend to do this if you aren't doing as told.

Kelpies are great, too....

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/5/54/AustrKelpieBlackTan1_wb.jpg

http://www.leatherwoodonline.com/ee/images/uploads/kelpie-1.jpg

But CRAZY if not working sheep.

They are "eye" dogs...ie they control sheep with their gaze, so not nippy, but sooooooooooo manic:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 03:12 am
dlowan wrote:

Like gus
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 03:22 am
Quote:
I have 6 out of 11 pups who had seizures. Some started to have them at 2 1/2 years and others didn't start until they were over five.

Also notes cataracts as a problem.

http://www.ashgi.org/articles/epilepsy_road_hell.htm

Kelpies do not make good backyard pets.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:49 am
Do you really want the aggressive son of an aggressive father living next door to each other?

I had a shepherd/collie cross foisted upon me at the end of his manic first year. He was a very sunny, amiable tramp. He could escape, find the township road crew wherever they were working (in an 80 sq. mi. area) and join them for lunch.

He was a long haired dog with layers of long hair. Is grooming going to be a problem for you and Mo? Daily grooming is a must.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:37 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Do you really want the aggressive son of an aggressive father living next door to each other?

I had a shepherd/collie cross foisted upon me at the end of his manic first year. He was a very sunny, amiable tramp. He could escape, find the township road crew wherever they were working (in an 80 sq. mi. area) and join them for lunch.

He was a long haired dog with layers of long hair. Is grooming going to be a problem for you and Mo? Daily grooming is a must.

Different kind of collie.

dadpad wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Like gus

To call what Gus does with sheep WORKING (except for the poor sheep) is a stretching of the English language beyond the point of elasticity.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:51 am
I've wondered about the neighbor dog thing, whether it could cause a problem.

I don't think the dog is agressive in a hostile way. He's very nice face to face. It's just through the fence that he's a problem.

And yes, this collie has short hair. I don't want a long haired dog.

Still, the fact that I want a puppy so bad but have reservations about this particular puppy concerns me. I think it is critical that I choose the right dog for Mo. I know you can't always tell about an animal when it's a baby but disposition is really, really important here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:05 pm
There is something called fence aggression.

It's not breed specific - it's generally an issue with untrained, bored, 'jobless' dogs. They've got nothing to do but defend their property - most trainers say it's a problem with the owners, not the dogs.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:28 pm
boomerang wrote:
I've wondered about the neighbor dog thing, whether it could cause a problem.

I don't think the dog is agressive in a hostile way. He's very nice face to face. It's just through the fence that he's a problem.

And yes, this collie has short hair. I don't want a long haired dog.

Still, the fact that I want a puppy so bad but have reservations about this particular puppy concerns me. I think it is critical that I choose the right dog for Mo. I know you can't always tell about an animal when it's a baby but disposition is really, really important here.

I haven't read the whole thread so you may have already answered this question.
How much time do you have to exercise the dog each day? I would reckon that any type of sheepdog will need at least one or two hours of off the leash running around to prevent them from getting hyper.

A friend of mine once had an aussie. That dog was so intelligent, it was almost frightening. She used to tell that dog to go and fetch one of his toys. He had about twenty different things, each one with a different name.
The dog would disappear and come back a few minutes later with the correct toy. Every time.
He was very friendly, but definitely a livewire.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:53 am
Swoon

I'll take him if you don't! I'll take him if you don't!

Ok, I really can't right now and the traveling would be a bitch, but Love Love Love herding dogs.

Listening for developments. And til I calm down enough to contribute properly.

My dogs that I have kept for any length of time (not fosters) have been herders. Love them. However....they do take tonnes of attention, time, space, and they need to be part of the family (which can be a positive or a negative depending on the circumstances).

It would be like having another kid, boom.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:06 am
Drewdad ducks in, whispers "Golden Retriever," and slips out again....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:08 am
DrewDad wrote:
Drewdad ducks in, whispers "Golden Retriever," and slips out again....

dapad ducks in, whispers "Golden Retrivers are the blondes of the dog world" and slips out again...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:56 am
on a good day
0 Replies

Ron Wilson

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:10 am
ehbeth
Crying or Very sad My wife and I recently lost our dog Aspen, and while view the web, found Ehbeth resembled the facial features of Aspen so close. Would like to know more about Etbeth and have someone to talk with. Please contact us on our email, [email protected] or call (928) 2422930.

Sincerely,

Ron and Vicki Wilson
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:30 am
Hi Ron and Vicki, welcome to A2K. I'm sorry you're here under such sad circumstances. This is a wonderful forum with many dog-loving people so you've found a good place to talk. Please feel free to talk to us here or to start your own thread about Aspen.

Even though this is a nice place it isn't always a good idea to post your phone number to such a broad, international forum.

Ehbeth is actually one of our forum members. A lovely woman. A true dog lover.

Is it the dog in her avatar or was it one of the photos she posted that remind you so much of Aspen?

It's so hard to loose a companion. Pax to Aspen and peace to you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:27 pm
Boomer, I suggested to Ron Wilson to get rid of the address/phone number by pm; not sure if he understands or knows how to fill out a ticket on the help desk. If you have trouble with that, Ron Wilson, you can post here again, we'll help you.

I also just lost my dog, so I have very great sympathy.
click this blue link to read the main thread about it -
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91347&start=0
0 Replies

LesCarter

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:57 am
Australian Shepherd/Border Collie Mix
I lost an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix about a year ago. My wife has an unruly mutt- enough good qualities, he grows on you- but I've never had such a sweet-tempered, well-behaved dog. My children were 7 and 9 when I got her and she was wonderful with them. In fact I want very much to find another but am having trouble locating a puppy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:44 am
I lost track of this thread --

LesCarter, a belated welcome to A2K. I'm sorry about your dog. Even after a year it's still hard when you're missing a friend.

Neighbor's dog's puppies are due any day now. She's having 10 puppies!

He has invited Mo over to witness the birth and Mo is very excited. I'm a little worried he'll be kind of grossed out but I suppose it will be a good learning experience that he might not get elsewhere since he's a city kid.

LesCarter, if you're still reading and you are anywhere near Oregon and still looking for a collie/shepard mix let me know.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:16 pm
Boomer--

Is the dog next door an experienced mother? I've heard a lot of horror stories about public accouchements sending the mother hysterical and murderous.

In my day I was known as an Underprotective Mother, but I'd make the Close to Nature lesson a very early view of the brand new puppies rather than The Miracle of Birth.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:42 pm
You're most likely right. I worried about mama dog's reaction to spectators as well. We'll just kind of see how things go and maybe we'll get to watch and maybe we won't.
0 Replies