Australian shepard/border collie mix?

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:29 pm
Do you think this would be a good dog for a kid?

My neighbor's dogs are expecting puppies. Both are highly papered (which sets off alarm bells with me), beautiful dogs.

I LOVE the border collie. She's a dream. She's about 3 years old.

The shepard, I'm not so crazy about. He's positively manic. He's still young though -- only about 1 1/2 years old.

I've had (full blood but unpapered) Dalmations so I'm used to energetic dogs but I have no experience with herding dogs. I'm not familiar with their temperament at all, except for the ones next door.

Do you think this would be a good mix? Are herding dogs hard for kids?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 101,694 • Replies: 50
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:32 pm
They're both wonderfully trainable breeds - I was thinking when I read your post that it might be an ideal breed for Mo - he could take charge of the training requirements for herding/agility/flyball - keep him and the dog busy and tired.

I love both breeds - I'm a huge fan of herding breeds. They're usually not a problem for kids Mo's age. Not so great with wobbly toddlers - even with good training - they do herd and knock over their smaller herdees occasionally.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:48 pm
Every Australian Shepard I've ever met has been hyper. They are dogs that don't sit still when there is anything going on. Border Collies, on the other hand - I've run into a few of those that were very sedate.

Overall I'd think the mix would be a good family dog. I don't think I've ever seen a "mean" dog in either breed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:50 pm
Aussies can sit VERY well when they're waiting for their turn in the agility ring. However, if they think they're not going to get a turn ...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:59 pm
That was quick! Thanks!

I guess it's that hyper-alertness of both breeds that give me pause.

The timing on these puppies would be good - right after school starts next year.

His shepard is agressive through the fence, and gentle in person. I can't quite figure that out. Could it be because Mo's out there running around and he can't get in on the action?

I want an active dog for Mo but not one that makes me insane. The training aspect (for Mo and dog) could be a real positive.

Knowing you're a fan of the herding breeds give me a much better feeling about this potential puppy, eBeth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:05 pm
http://www.muzzelvelocity.com/img/gallery/74.jpg

this is Bugsy - he was a member of the Zippity Do Dogs competition team when Bailey was in the novice class - you just know this guy was a good sport Very Happy

here he is at a demonstration event with his mom (he did agility/flyball/herding/carting and gawd knows what else)

http://www.muzzelvelocity.com/img/gallery/121.jpg

~~~~~~

The Aussie will definitely not be happy about not being in on things - they like to be active dogs - enjoy knowing their jobs and take pride in doing them well. Being on the wrong side of the fence when Mo's doing fun stuff would be more than annoying for him.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:21 pm
Look at the face on that dog! What a beauty. Wow.

One of Mo's little friends is afraid of dogs (can you imagine!) and he freaks out about the Aussie wondering if he's going to knock down the fence.

And now maybe I can stop thinking of the dog's behavior as agressiveness and start thinking of it as wanting to play.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:28 pm
I've known both breeds - I think you'd have a good family dog there. Must be trained as Beth and fishin have said. Keep'm busy!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:35 pm
Both breeds need lots of attention and exercise. They are inclined to be destructive if lacking in mental stimulation. This tends to happen when kids are at school and the parents are at work.

Both have wonderful temperaments and will respond well to obedience training which in my opinion is mandatory.

Quote:
Slightly over a decade ago the Australian Shepherd community started seeing the first signs that epilepsy might be a concern in the breed. Those signs have expanded to billboards we continued racing in pursuit of other interests. Today, few breeders can assume their lines are free of this terrible disease.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:09 pm
dadpad wrote:
Both breeds need lots of attention and exercise. They are inclined to be destructive if lacking in mental stimulation. This tends to happen when kids are at school and the parents are at work.

Both have wonderful temperaments and will respond well to obedience training which in my opinion is mandatory.

Quote:
Slightly over a decade ago the Australian Shepherd community started seeing the first signs that epilepsy might be a concern in the breed. Those signs have expanded to billboards we continued racing in pursuit of other interests. Today, few breeders can assume their lines are free of this terrible disease.

Also, apparently, at least in Australia, prone to some horrid eye disease (a friend's developed this, and thus she learned the hard way...however, mixed breeding should assist with this.)
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:48 pm
In my experience, herding dogs are fine for kids. If you (and they) are used to energetic dogs you should have no problems. Personally, I would not want that particular mix simply because of the manic nature of both the breeds. Border Collie's are quite hyper until about 2 years of age. In my opinion, a Lab/Retriever cross would be ideal.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:58 pm
Interesting news from our non-herding Aussie friends indeed. I'm going to have to do some research. These are the kinds of reasons I'm suspicious of well papered dogs.

I've had two dogs with chronic health problems and I really want to avoid that -- especially when choosing a dog for Mo. That is the major reason I'm looking at mixed breeds. I'm going to question Neighbor about the health history of his dogs parents. I know he knows the line so he should have some good insight.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:59 pm
Oh - I meant to ask -- do either of you know at what age these problems presented themselves?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:09 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh - I meant to ask -- do either of you know at what age these problems presented themselves?

Pretty young for my friend's dog....mebbe 6 months or so?

But, as I said, mixed breeding is likely to help with such problems.

Borders ARE mad until they are two!!!

But, most very bright dogs are......

I wonder what a border/retriever mix would be like?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:13 pm
mixed breeds would help. But, also remember that in the US we tend to have different breeding stocks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:16 pm
littlek wrote:
mixed breeds would help. But, also remember that in the US we tend to have different breeding stocks.

Exactly.

I can't recall if my friend's vet said the eye thing was for the breed in general, or just for Australian stock.

(The dogs aren't Australian in origin.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:17 pm
No? European? I thought they were bred with Dingos at some point.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:22 pm
littlek wrote:
No? European? I thought they were bred with Dingos at some point.

That's Blue Heelers (or red ones for that matter) aka the Australian Cattle Dog.

http://www.khkg.dk/Khkg/Racer/Billeder_racer/CD_Blue__Heeler.jpg

They always look like they're telling dirty jokes

http://www.greenridgestables.iceryder.net/images/pups2.jpg

except when puppies...

Red blue heeler

http://kleymeyer.typepad.com/photos/post_pics/redheeler.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:24 pm
Aaaaaah, yes! My pal Roosevelt Franklin was a red blue healer. Looks just like the photo you posted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm
They are important dogs!

http://www.australianexplorer.com/photographs/new_south_wales/23080421541411-8-04_muswellrook_blue_heeler_country_3.jpg
0 Replies