Shortbread, etc. Guilt-free dessert recipes

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:13 pm
So, the Washington Post today has a recipe for Macadamia Shortbread, theoretically more healthy than regular short bread because of the substitution of macadamia oil.

Hmmm, I don't have any macadamia oil, but I do have hazelnut oil, and can easily obtain some hazelnuts. I think I'm going to try a hazelnut version of this.

Here's the link,
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2007/06/13/macadamia-shortbread/

This is in an article, "For Guilt-Free Desserts, Makeovers from the CIA - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/12/AR2007061200412.html?hpid=features1&hpv=national

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/06/12/PH2007061200819.jpg
photo credit, Renee Comet

Macadamia Shortbread
The Washington Post, June 13, 2007
Course: Dessert
Features: Fast
Summary:

Macadamia nut oil takes the place of much of the butter normally used to make shortbread. These squares have a tender shortbread crumb and mildly nutty taste.

Macadamia nut oil is available at Sur La Table stores and some Balducci's stores.

The squares can be stored in an airtight tin for up to 1 week, or wrapped well and frozen for up to 2 months.

Makes 30 2 1/2-inch squares

Ingredients:

18 tablespoons (2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
7 ounces macadamia nut oil
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups ( 1 pound) flour
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, broken pieces
Directions:

Combine the butter, oil, water, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, salt and flour in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until a dough forms. Add the broken nut pieces and pulse. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap (it will be a fairly soft dough) and chill for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Have ready a large rimmed baking sheet. Press the dough into the pan to a rectangle roughly 11 by 15 inches. Gently prick all over with the tines of a fork. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cut into squares while the shortbread is still warm.

Recipe Source:
Adapted from pastry chef instructor Stephen Durfee, instructor at the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in St. Helena, Calif.
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick for The Washington Post.
E-mail the Food Section with recipe questions.

(Renee Comet)
Serving size: Per square
Calories: 186
% Daily Values*
Total Fat: 15g 23
Saturated Fat: 5g 25
Cholesterol: 18mg 6
Sodium: 79mg 3
Total Carbohydrates: 13g 4
Dietary Fiber: 0g 0
Protein: 1g
*Percent Daily Value based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Total Fat: Less than 65g
Saturated Fat: Less than 20g
Cholesterol: Less than 300mg
Sodium: Less than 2,400mg
Total Carbohydrates: 300g
Dietary Fiber: 25g

ps., there are other guilt-free recipes with the article.

pps., I just remembered, I also have walnut oil and walnuts at hand.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,461 • Replies: 0
No top replies